PDA

View Full Version : How good is a PSA Opinion?

broome1000
10-29-2007, 07:40 AM
I have a very nice Roger Maris autograph baseball I am going to put up for sale soon on ebay. The ball was put in a holder with days of being signed and has only been touched maybe twice over the last 25 years. I am sure it is a good idea to have the autograph certified and the ball graded beforehand. I am thinking of sending it off to PSA. Before I spend the $100 I read in the forum where someone suggested after listing an autographed item on Ebay someone might just want to pay $8 to PSA for an opinion. My question is how much weight does a PSA opinion carry verses having the ball phisically sent out for grading? The ball and signiture look like a 10 to me. If PSA says it is most likely authentic is that good enough for you?

skyking26
10-29-2007, 07:49 AM
If I were buying a Maris ball, I'd pay more on ebay for a graded ball that PSA looked at vs. an opinion. If the item were a lesser value I'd say go for the opinion, but this is a valuable piece - so it might be worth your while to go the send off route...

RK

otismalibu
10-29-2007, 09:25 AM
If you list it on eBay someone can pay $8 for the PSA opinion. If the verdict is "likely not genuine", eBay ends the auction.

sammy
10-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Post a few photos and receive a FREE authentication.

As good as PSA/DNA in accuracy.

ahuff
10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
It seems that autographs, with favorable opinions by known authenticators, bring a premium. On a ball worth that much, I would say that it would be worth the time and investment. Especially if selling on the bay. On there, I believe people seem to bid with a "buyer beware" attitude.

Perhaps another auction house might do you even better service.

broome1000
10-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Here are some photos. Let me know what you think.

http://broomecounty.com/images/miscebaypics/maris1b.jpg

http://broomecounty.com/images/miscebaypics/maris1a.jpg

http://broomecounty.com/images/miscebaypics/maris1.jpg

CollectGU
10-29-2007, 08:02 PM
In my opinion that ball will not pass PSA or JSA.

Regards,
Dave

bigjimsguitars
10-29-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm certainly no expert on Maris auto's, but it would have to been in 1984 or 1985 based on the Bobby Brown Ball....Roger passed away on 12/14/1985....

broome1000
10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
You certainly must have a reason to back up your claim. I will tell you I had it examined by an expert in Cooperstown whose opinion was it is genuine.

In my opinion that ball will not pass PSA or JSA.

Regards,
Dave

David
10-30-2007, 02:16 AM
Offering no opinion on the signature, but, due to the grade of the sig and ball, if it were authentic you'd more than get your money back by getting the full PSA or JSA LOA. An authentic Maris ball in that condition is worth good money.

David
10-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Bidders know that a Quick Opinion is just that. PSA or JSA hasn't examined the ball in person, but gave an opinion from looking at the pictures. A 'Likely Genuine' is not the same as a full LOA, but does tell bidders that PSA or JSA checked the auction out from afar and think the signature looks genuine.

cohibasmoker
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
I am not an expert on autographs. I've listed only a few signed items on eBay but as soon as I listed the auction, I've immediately notified and paid PSA/DNA for their "quick opinion". I do this because:

1) I am NOT an expert on autographs;
2) I NEVER want to sell a bogus item;
3) the general public trusts PSA/DNA; and,
4) Keyword Spamming (Violation of eBay policy)

Here's how I did it: I would list an item on eBay and always left space in the Description Title. I then notified PSA/DNA and paid for their quick opinion. When PSA/DNA comes back and tells me the item "appears genuine", I then go back to the auction and add the PSA/DNA "keywords" to the Description Title AND, I revise the listing by stated that the item has been examined by PSA/DNA and their "quick opinion" came back stating the item was, “likely genuine”. I also state that that I will enclose a copy of the email from PSA/DNA supporting their findings.

On 1 occasion, one of my signed items came back “likely not genuine” and I removed the item from eBay myself. Luckily, I did not have a lot of money into the item and just took the loss.

I recently bought a signed item on eBay using their “quick opinion”. I saved the PSA/DNA “quick opinion” email and sent the item and the email copy to PSA/DNA. They did a full evaluation of the item and deducted my $7.49 from the total cost of the authentication.

I am sure there are members on this forum who will disagreed with my methods but this is what I’ve done and it works for me.

Jim

CollectGU
10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
You certainly must have a reason to back up your claim. I will tell you I had it examined by an expert in Cooperstown whose opinion was it is genuine.

Here is your ball next to 3 others passed by PSA. You can see the differences. I hope this helps:

broome1000
10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't know what you are looking at but I went letter by letter and on one of the 3 balls you submitted I see near perfect matches for every letter. I don't know about you but i certainly don't sign my name the same way every time and I am sure Roger didn't either. I think I will start with the opinion first though just to be on the safe side before I cough up the approx. $200 for the full analysis and grading. Please post the collage you sent me so others who have been following this thread can see for themselves.

Here is your ball next to 3 others passed by PSA. You can see the differences. I hope this helps:

CollectGU
10-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure how to post it for everyone to see. Ask Sammy here for his opinion. In my opinion it's not close many of the strokes are very different especially the g into the er in Roger, and then add in the fact that it is a Bobby Brown ball ...but that is only my opinion.

Regards,
Dave

broome1000
10-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't base a decision so much because it's on a Bobby Brown Ball. Maris had 2 years to have signed on before he died. I have also had the ball in my possession since the mid to late 1980's and have always had it in a holder or cube. I have made a collage to post here of the comparison signatures. http://broomecounty.com/images/miscebaypics/mariscol.jpg

I'm not sure how to post it for everyone to see. Ask Sammy here for his opinion. In my opinion it's not close many of the strokes are very different especially the g into the er in Roger, and then add in the fact that it is a Bobby Brown ball ...but that is only my opinion.

Regards,
Dave

camarokids
10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I have collected auto's for a long time and do not consider myself an expert . I was once told that a forger will sometimes put too much detail into a fake .

Maybe CollectGU is basing his opinion in part cause the "Roger" is very neat and complete (you can make out every letter) on your ball and the others are not as complete . Just my analysis . I would send the ball off for examination , since it is a high profile player that most likely has a lot of fake sigs out there......

broome1000
10-30-2007, 05:01 PM
thanks for the reply. I appreciate people like yourself who take the time to share their knowledge. In the few months I have been reading this forum I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and for that I am grateful. I am going to list it on ebay and get an opinion first. If PSA thinks it is most likely genuine I will end the auction and send it off. If it's most likely not genuine I will also end the auction and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I can't see throwing another $178 dollars into it if it most likely will not pass. Happy collecting to you.

I have collected auto's for a long time and do not consider myself an expert . I was once told that a forger will sometimes put too much detail into a fake .

Maybe CollectGU is basing his opinion in part cause the "Roger" is very neat and complete (you can make out every letter) on your ball and the others are not as complete . Just my analysis . I would send the ball off for examination , since it is a high profile player that most likely has a lot of fake sigs out there......

CollectGU
10-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Also notice that in all the other phtos Roger does not finish off the "o'" in his name the op is left open and yours is completetly closed.

Regards,
Dave

sammy
10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Personally, I believe your autograph will come back as "Likely Not Genuine"

Sorry.

bigjimsguitars
10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
I have several autographs that I personally obtained and I would love to send them in for authenication (if I ever decided to sell them), but I too would be worried that they would get rejected as it's not an exact science. But one does need to pay the piper to get top dollar.

It would be fair if the grading/authentication services would charge a flat rate that is not based on the potential value if it passes mustard.

I would be pissed off to the imph degree if say my Sandy Koufax auto's or DiMaggio's, etc that I got in Person didn't pass after paying through the nose.

It was my effort to get them and someone else get's paid for an opinion and man, that's all it is....

Worse yet, send in say Joe DiMaggio's Sister's Auto that is pretty damn good and have it pass....

On the Maris in question, the stroke pressure, angle, size,etc look good to me and maybe getting the low dollar guess on it is the first step and then if it passes that test, send it in for the full thing.

It's real sad that a few out there messed this up for all who collect and have put a stigma on this....I love talking to my new friends (and some old ones as well) and mention that I have a nice auto collection and they invaribly ask, how many are fakes due to the earned bad press that resulted from the late 80's onward when the market was flooded with a zillion fake Mantle's, Ruth's, Gehrig's, etc.

sammy
11-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi broome1000,

Did you get a PSA/DNA quick opinion on the autograph?

I know it generally takes less then a day.