PDA

View Full Version : A "Behind the Scenes" Observation Regarding Ceiling Bids in Auctions

ChrisCavalier
10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to make a "behind the scenes" observation about ceiling bids placed in our auction. First of all, there were a number of people who called us prior to the GUU auction who expressed concerns that their ceiling bids seemingly always hit the top number they placed in auctions. While I told these callers it may be a mere coincidence, there were enough comments for us to realize this was a genuine concern for collectors.

So that everyone knows, we set up our auction system so that those taking bids can not even see the amounts of ceiling bids that were placed. While we would never compromise our commitment to "integrity before profits" we wanted to set up the system itself to make sure there could be no question regarding our resolve in this area or any other.

Interestingly, after the auction closed, we received a call from a bidder who told us he thought there was a mistake on our website regarding an item he won. When I asked what he thought the mistake was, he told me that he had placed a bid for $500 on an item but the site was showing the winning bid as $242. Intrigued, I asked if he placed a straight bid at that amount wondering if there was a flaw in the software. He answered "no" and that his bid was a ceiling bid.

I went on to explain that although his ceiling bid was $500 his bid amount would only go as high as required to exceed the next highest bid. Apparently, he was used to items going for his top ceiling bid and found it refreshing that it didn't have to pay the maximum amount of his ceiling bid. In fact, this bidder won 3 items where the closing price was below his ceiling bid. He went on to compliment his experience in our auction and appreciated our system of not allowing his ceiling bid amount to be disclosed to those accepting bids.

While we have been complimented for the prices achieved in our auction, I am also proud to say that all the bids placed were legitimate bids and no one has to worry about shill bidding in Game Used Universe auctions.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

RobSteinmetz
10-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Great post. This is why I chose to affiliate with GUU when I was introduced to Chris several years ago.

Best,

Rob

karamaxjoe
10-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Chris,
During closing night I very reluctantly placed a ceiling bid on an item that gave me about a $300 edge incase someone counter bid me. It was very refreshing to see noone, including the auction system, didn't counter bid and I won the item for a nice price. This experience will give me as well as other forum members a great level of confidence for future GUU auctions. Thanks and keep up the good work

Mike

bigjimsguitars
10-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Chris:

I too had a couple of items that I got under my "ceiling bid". Yes, that is refreshing and appreciated!!! At the same time I was outbid wherein I didn't get the outbid email until well after the close...not a real issue as I was monitoring online.

Just a thought, why not close an item once it hasn't received a bid for 15 minutes? It seamed like all items were open until there was a cessation of a bid for 15 minutes altogether. Again, not a complaint other than I didn't know what I was going to win until the next day, lol!

I think what impressed me the most was that the items were vetted by a panel of experts who had no financial interests in the items and that gave me a great sense of security that I would be bidding and hopefully winning what the item was stated to be.

The phrase "Integrity before Profit" says it all!

34swtns
10-30-2007, 05:55 AM
I've always thought it was "funny" how my ceiling bid always gets bid up to it's exact limit and yet I never get outbid.

yankees159
10-30-2007, 01:49 PM
Wow, this is the first time in my 15 years of participating in auctions that I won something under my ceiling bid. It makes you wonder how some of your competitors do business. Looks like they will need to change their ways, or is it too late?

Great auction experience.

Todd