PDA

View Full Version : Autographed game used bat

bat_master
10-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi All,

I've got a late 1930s/early 1940s H&B Bob Doerr game used bat that I would like to have signed and am contemplating mailing it to Mr. Doerr along with a payment for signing and return postage. However, with something like this I would be concerned about having it lost along the way.

Have any of you ever sent any game used items to a player through the mail to be signed? If so, have any of you ever not gotten the item back?

Any suggestions? I know he was/is a willing signer through the mail, but if there are any upcoming signings I'd rather go that route.

I really don't want to waste to much time as he isn't young anymore and you just never know...

Thanks for the input.

Vintagedeputy
10-31-2007, 09:50 PM
I would write to him first and secure an understanding that you are sending a bat. Then I'd send it Fed Ex or something.

Either that or I'd fly there myself.

Jim

cjclong
11-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Definitely make contact with him before you send it and be sure he is willing to mail it back to you. You need to make the arrangement with him for postage back. Fed EX would be as good as any if you are willing to run the risk, however slight of the bat getting lost. Also, should probably insure it, perhaps make arrangement for him to insure it when mailed back. Will need to send him $ to get this done.

martintsa
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
I grew up close to where Mr. Doerr lives and still live in the area (about 2.5 hours away). I have written him many times and he is great at signing and getting items back to you.

If you ever want to sell the bat, let me know.

BoneRubbedBat
11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I had Doerr sign a gamer at a show here in Houston a few years ago. He was not the most pleasant person when he saw the bat. He seemed to be upset that I had one of "his" bats, but he still signed it. I'm not sure how he would react through the mail.

nick325ic
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I had Doerr sign a gamer at a show here in Houston a few years ago. He was not the most pleasant person when he saw the bat. He seemed to be upset that I had one of "his" bats, but he still signed it. I'm not sure how he would react through the mail.

No offense but I call BS about Bobby not being happy to see the bat, I know Bobby Doerr as he lives near me and signs for us anytime and is the greatest guy I have ever met.

If you need help getting that bat signed I could help you out. I can contact him and arrange for him to sign it for you. He would inscribe anything you would like also. I.E. "game used" "gamer" etc....
email me at nick325ic@yahoo.com if you want help with the signature