PDA

View Full Version : Historic Auctions - 2007 non-Steiner Ramirez jersey

kingjammy24
11-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Historic Auctions currently has a 2007 Manny Ramirez road "game used" jersey for sale. The description reads "This size 56 road jersey was used for many games including against the Yankees 6-1-2007 against the New York Yankees."

on 06/01/2007, the Red Sox played at HOME vs the Yankees. it'd be pretty incredible for Manny to trot out at Fenway wearing a road jersey. Great work as usual by Lampson and the Historic crew.

secondly, the jersey has no Steiner sticker or paperwork. The description reads "The jersey shows very nice use and was given to a good friend of his. There is very nice wear in the neckline and under the arms. The jersey also bears a perfect full signature in black sharpie with the additional inscription of 6-1-2007. The inside of the jersey has the Majestic 0062 tagging. This is as good as it get the Red Sox's best players game used jersey worn against the Yankees."

Steiner has an exclusive deal with the Red Sox to purportedly receive all of their game-used jerseys. Despite this exclusive deal, the Sox's 2 biggest stars seemingly ignore it and give away their jerseys regardless. (see GFC's current 2007 Ortiz game with "game used" inscription from Ortiz).

rudy.

staindsox
11-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Does the actual COA say 2007 on it or was that just Historic? That would be hilarious because the tagging is actually 2006. Another Lampson classic.

kingjammy24
11-04-2007, 02:55 PM
chris,

the auction description states it was used in 2007 and specifically mentions the series against the yankees on june 1, 2007. the red sox did play the yankees on june 1, 2007, however they played them at fenway not at yankee stadium.

as well, the jersey seems to bear an inscription of 06/01/2007 by manny.

either the jersey was tagged incorrectly at the factory, manny held on to the jersey for a year before wearing it, or the inscription was added fraudulently (and incorrectly).

rudy.

ChrisCavalier
11-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Steiner has an exclusive deal with the Red Sox to purportedly receive all of their game-used jerseys. Despite this exclusive deal, the Sox's 2 biggest stars seemingly ignore it and give away their jerseys regardless. (see GFC's current 2007 Ortiz game with "game used" inscription from Ortiz).
Hello Rudy,

Given the Steiner "exclusive" question was raised on the Ortiz jersey thread, I thought it might help to re-post here the response I received from my contact at Steiner on this issue. Here is the relevant content from my previous post:

"I spoke to my contact at Steiner about your question. He told me the Steiner agreement with teams such as the Red Sox is, in fact, an exclusive one. He also said they had not experienced any player in any of their deals remove his jersey from either the dugout or clubhouse against team regulations. He said Steiner did also speak with the Red Sox about this particular jersey and the Red Sox admitted that it may have been possible that David Ortiz removed his jersey and gave it to someone after the the ALCS. However, if that was the case, the Red Sox said is would have been an isolated incident and they are confident that it had not happened at any other time during the season."

If this jersey is legitimate it would seem the Red Sox organization is mistaken.

Sincerely,
Chris

spider9698
11-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I talked to Steiner reps at the Boston card show this weekend. Their "exclusive" rights did not continue into the postseason although they said they are still negotiating to get the jerseys.
Hmmmm.....

ChrisCavalier
11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
I talked to Steiner reps at the Boston card show this weekend. Their "exclusive" rights did not continue into the postseason although they said they are still negotiating to get the jerseys.
Hmmmm.....
Hello Stephen,

I spoke with Steiner about the postseason jerseys and they provided a bit more information in this area. It appears the terms of their primary deal did not include the postseason. However, what I was told is that it will translate into players being allowed to keep one jersey at the end of the season. Whatever the players do not keep will be going to Steiner and the Red Sox will also not be out in the market selling the jerseys to anyone else.

I thought it might help for collectors to understand the implications. Is this consistent with what you were told or did you hear something else?

Sincerely,
Chris

spider9698
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
When I chatted with them they were unsure but were clearly interested in getting the post-season jerseys. Looks like Beckett is already selling his WS jersey on ebay through PMI.