PDA

View Full Version : O/T whats wrong with baseball today

OaklandAsFan
11-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Stairs just resigned with the Blue Jays for 2 years 1 mil a year plus a 1.25 signing bonus. Here is what Riccardi said in the paper about the deal.

"He definitely outperformed his contract," said Ricciardi, who added that Stairs could see close to the same amount of at-bats next season. "He had such a good year, we knew we weren't going to get Matt Stairs for $850,000 again, nor should we. We should reward the player when he does well, and he did well. It's nice to see and be able to reward the guy.

NO sorry that is the WRONG way to think about it. So he did great last year when you paid him 850k you guarantee him a 2 year deal and give him a raise so what if he takes a dump this year are you gonna take the deal back?? this is precisely why the contracts all need to be dumped and players get paid a base salary plus incentives for what they did THIS year!!!! I can almost guarantee we would see better baseball being played on a daily basis if these guys actually had to work to make an extra 100k.

TNTtoys
11-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Stairs just resigned with the Blue Jays for 2 years 1 mil a year plus a 1.25 signing bonus. Here is what Riccardi said in the paper about the deal.

"He definitely outperformed his contract," said Ricciardi, who added that Stairs could see close to the same amount of at-bats next season. "He had such a good year, we knew we weren't going to get Matt Stairs for $850,000 again, nor should we. We should reward the player when he does well, and he did well. It's nice to see and be able to reward the guy.

NO sorry that is the WRONG way to think about it. So he did great last year when you paid him 850k you guarantee him a 2 year deal and give him a raise so what if he takes a dump this year are you gonna take the deal back?? this is precisely why the contracts all need to be dumped and players get paid a base salary plus incentives for what they did THIS year!!!! I can almost guarantee we would see better baseball being played on a daily basis if these guys actually had to work to make an extra 100k.

I don't think that in this day and age you will see very many contracts based purely on incentive... But that aside, I personally don't see what the big deal is if a player does well and is rewarded for his efforts. If I am the manager of a project and do a great job... and my employer tells me that they thought that I did well and they will bring me back for the next couple of projects at a higher rate... I think I earned that.
Where I see things going horribly wrong is the player that makes 30X the Matt Stairs deal per year and then hires an agent to hold his current team for ransom because he wants 40X; and 5X the number of years.
And that same agent represents an average pitcher during a year where the vast majority of the big name pitchers are off the market... so that agent will suck the blood out of any organization desperate for pitching so that his client receives double and triple the amount he would have received during a normal year.