PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Info on Newark "Stars" team, Negro League

vintagesportscollector
02-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi all- I'm looking for any information out there RE a Negro League team that played only one year in 1926 in the Eastern Colored League (ECL), which was one of the negro leagues. There's a fair amount of information about the ECL in general, but I am looking for any specific articles, stories, news, pictures..anything pertaining to the Newark "Stars". Any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks!
-Joe
http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

baseballart
02-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Joe

I don't have any specific information, but good people to contact are Dick Clark, Larry Lester or Sammy Miller, who are the heads of the Negro League Committee for SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) http://www.sabr.org/sabr.cfm?a=com&m=5 Their email contacts are listed there, and they all have extensive knowledge in the area.

And if you're not a member of SABR, you should check it out. With the membership, you get free ProQuest access which allows you to search a number of old newspapers. As well, you also get a discount at Paper of Record, which lists The Sporting News. Well worth a membership for anyone interested in baseball research.

Hope this helps.

Max

slidekellyslide
02-04-2006, 03:05 PM
They disbanded midway through their only season with a grand total of one victory.

vintagesportscollector
02-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Max- Thanks, that is helpful. I am an SABR member. ProQuest yielded nothing, and I did contact my NJ Chapter to see if they could help. I will also contact the Negro League committee members...that's a good idea.

Dan - Thanks. I knew they were gone practically before they started. Where did you see that info on them?

I am going to head down to BarnesandNoble and check out some of the Negro League books, I know a couple of them have some mention of the team.

slidekellyslide
02-05-2006, 01:03 AM
I got it from the Biographical Encyclopedia of the Negro Baseball Leagues by James A. Riley. Unfortunately everything I told you in my last post was the only information in the book about that team, which means it's probably going to be very difficult to find out much more than that. Someone is SABR is likely to know something more, but I've found that some SABR members are willing to give up information and others are not so forthcoming if they haven't published it yet. Good luck with the research, that's half the fun in owning some of the treasures we come across.

ps. Nice snag on that Memphis cabinet.

suave1477
02-09-2006, 12:58 AM
This post has very little to do with your question but i thought i would throw it in since we are on the topic of the negro leagues. I went to an autograph show of the NY Yankees 2 weeks ago and among the vendors selling cards were 2 negro league players with a table charging for autographs one was from the black yankees and the other was from a detroit team. So i stopped by to talk to them and it was interesting picking there brain about what they went through and what it was like for them. One thing that they definitely had in common was that they were not financially well off bcuz it seemed like they were practically begging to make a sale on something on anything. One offered me an autographed bat of 9 negro league players for $300. i told him i appreciate it but i want interested and then he pulled me a side and told me to come back later and he'll give me a better price, well that was my experience!!!!

vintagesportscollector
02-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Interesting. The Black Yankees folded in 1948 so these guys must have been in their mid 80s?

suave1477
02-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Well I didnt ask how old he was, but I can tell you he was pretty old. My friend got 2 - 8 x 10's of them autographed. He also mentioned to me he is listing on ebay or will be listing on ebay some kind of a limited promotional item Negro League Wine or something like that ( i have no clue ) i started losing attention when he was trying to sell me everything that wasnt nailed down including the nails lol lol :D I thinnk he told me his last name was Scott ( if that helps you any )

jwasserman
02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I can't much about the stars but I do know Dick Seay and Sol White played for them which might give your friend a starting point for some more research.