PDA

View Full Version : The ebay Ripken helmet

skipcareyisfat
11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I just searched the GUU archives and came across several discussions about g/u Ripken helmets. The one started on 1/31/07 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6755&highlight=ripken+helmet) links to an ebay auction which has since expired and I can't recall if it's the same one that was recently up for sale on ebay. I'm guessing not and that it was a more recent one.

I figured most people passed on it because of the size (7 1/4 instead of 7 3/8). But Troy at Mears just posted these comments on the MEARS board that I thought were interesting:

Ebay Cal Ripken Jr. Helmet #200166756445
November 4 2007 at 12:58 PM Troy R. Kinunen (Login Troyrkinunen)
I was recently asked a question regarding item #200166756445 which was recently posted but did not sell on Ebay. It was posted by ebay user name ripken08forever.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Mid-late-80s-Game-Worn-Batting-Helmet_W0QQitemZ200166756445QQihZ010QQcategoryZ501 17QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The item was submitted to MEARS for an evaluation. After several weeks of research, we COULD NOT attribute the helmet to Cal Ripken Jr. and felt it was mostly likely worn by Benny Ayala and/or Lee Lacy. Our comment section read:

"Headband shows moderate wear. The foam in back is severely damaged and is falling out. Side and top also show signs of wear., but are still attached. Helmet can be dated to the 1982-85 period due to the ABC pinwheel on the back of the helmet. Helmet has #8 sticker on it, however, this sticker was applied later. The number originally applied to the helmet was 27, which can be seen under close examination of the bill. The bill has residue and markings from the numbers that are visible. The number 27 was worn by two different players during the years this helmet dates to. The first being Benny Awala who wore number 27 for the Orioles from the 1979-84. The second was Lee Lacy who wore number 27 for the Orioles from 1985-87. Both Benny Ayala and Lee Lacy were right handed batters and wore helmets with the left ear flap so neither of them can be eliminated using that factor. The helmet was autographed on back by Cal Ripken, Jr. with "shortstop written" under it. This helmet comes with a Letter of Authenticity from photographer Alan Sessarego on Through the Lens letterhead."

The complete letter of opinion can be viewed by MEARS members at http://www.mearsonline.com/loa/equipment/helmet.asp?id=307438

My review of the photographs indicate the ebay Cal Ripken Jr. listing was identical to the helmet submitted to MEARS for evaluation. There was no mention of the MEARS opinion referenced in the Ebay listing.

As has been discussed in the past, MEARS does not require anyone to exclusively use our opinions, but in instances where materials changes were discovered, (another players uniform number under existing number) MEARS expects responsbile sellers to provide that information to interested parties.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen
MEARS

ironmanfan
11-05-2007, 03:03 PM
I was offered said helmet many years ago by Mr. Sessarego and I passed on it when my physical inspection revealed the same thing.

mr.miracle
11-05-2007, 03:57 PM
This helmet came to me third party through another forum member who purchased it directly from Alan the original owner/seller of it. I have not responded directly to Troy's post yet on MEARS site as I was not aware that it was there until late last night courtesy of another forum member. I also will not respond to it until I have spoken directly with Alan Sessarego the original owner of the helmet. I have a call and email in to him as we speak. Having purchased one game used Ripken item from him that was graded A10 by MEARS and it is as concrete as concrete can be as well as having first hand knowledge of another game used item that is currently in the hands of another forum member that has been graded as completely authentic I still feel very solid about this item in terms of its authenticity. It was simply a formality to me to have it authenticated prior to selling it to pay off some unexpected debt that just arose and I was shocked when I saw the MEARS letter on it. I would however like to make it known on here that I did receive several very valid inquiries regarding this helmet and in each instance I have provided full disclosure to that individual the results of the MEARS evaluation. I have not been asked as of yet by the potential buyers to provide the MEARS LOA for the helmet for inspection but will gladly do so as requested. Any bidder will also be given full access to the MEARS letter as well either prior to or at the time they place their bid. I have nothing to hide on this and want to fully disclose all facts regarding this helmet. I want to speak to Troy about this further as the helmet in their opinion is attributed to former Orioles Benny Ayala or Lee Lacy. One of my primary questions is does anyone short of those two individuals themselves have any idea what hat or helmet size either of those players wore? Nobody that I have ever seen or run into collects anything by those two players and I have never seen a single hat or helmet of those two on the market. I do know however that the helmet in question is a right handed hitters helmet and it is the correct size match for Cal Ripken Jr. Based upon the provenance and supporting documentation of the seller a former Orioles team photographer I felt and still feel very, very solid about this being an authentic Ripken item. I will respond further to the MEARS post after I have spoken with Alan in further detail. I have known Alan for a couple of years and know that he has provided over ten game used Ripken bats, jersey's etc. for sale on the market. His items were either obtained directly from Cal or from a clubhouse source that up until this point was completely impecabble as every item that he previously sold held up to the equipment grading standards and came out with flying colors from places like MEARS, John Taube, James Spence etc. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

mr.miracle
11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Please see MEARS own website and their cert #305683 which is a 1994 game worn Ripken batting helmet. MEARS graded it as authentic and it is a size 7 1/4. MEARS notes on the cert that even though exemplars have been 7 3/8 for Ripken the 1/8th size difference is exceptable. I personally have seen both sizes for Ripken in my 20 plus years of collecting so I don't believe that this issue is one of any relevance here. Even though Ripken batting helmets have been extremely rare over the years they do exist in both the 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 variety. Hopefully that at least answers this specific question.

Thanks

grandpahoo
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Sadly, I'd still be interested in the helmet even if it was worn by Benny Ayala.

beantown
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
This helmet came to me third party through another forum member who purchased it directly from Alan the original owner/seller of it. I have not responded directly to Troy's post yet on MEARS site as I was not aware that it was there until late last night courtesy of another forum member. I also will not respond to it until I have spoken directly with Alan Sessarego the original owner of the helmet. I have a call and email in to him as we speak. Having purchased one game used Ripken item from him that was graded A10 by MEARS and it is as concrete as concrete can be as well as having first hand knowledge of another game used item that is currently in the hands of another forum member that has been graded as completely authentic I still feel very solid about this item in terms of its authenticity. It was simply a formality to me to have it authenticated prior to selling it to pay off some unexpected debt that just arose and I was shocked when I saw the MEARS letter on it. I would however like to make it known on here that I did receive several very valid inquiries regarding this helmet and in each instance I have provided full disclosure to that individual the results of the MEARS evaluation. I have not been asked as of yet by the potential buyers to provide the MEARS LOA for the helmet for inspection but will gladly do so as requested. Any bidder will also be given full access to the MEARS letter as well either prior to or at the time they place their bid. I have nothing to hide on this and want to fully disclose all facts regarding this helmet. I want to speak to Troy about this further as the helmet in their opinion is attributed to former Orioles Benny Ayala or Lee Lacy. One of my primary questions is does anyone short of those two individuals themselves have any idea what hat or helmet size either of those players wore? Nobody that I have ever seen or run into collects anything by those two players and I have never seen a single hat or helmet of those two on the market. I do know however that the helmet in question is a right handed hitters helmet and it is the correct size match for Cal Ripken Jr. Based upon the provenance and supporting documentation of the seller a former Orioles team photographer I felt and still feel very, very solid about this being an authentic Ripken item. I will respond further to the MEARS post after I have spoken with Alan in further detail. I have known Alan for a couple of years and know that he has provided over ten game used Ripken bats, jersey's etc. for sale on the market. His items were either obtained directly from Cal or from a clubhouse source that up until this point was completely impecabble as every item that he previously sold held up to the equipment grading standards and came out with flying colors from places like MEARS, John Taube, James Spence etc. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Thanks

I have purchased several Fred Lynn items from Mr. Alan Sessarego with him writing his own COA. I have found him to be a generous and courteuous individual...and if I submitted my items for authentication to MEARS, there is no doubt all items would receive an A10. Just my thoughts....

mr.miracle
11-05-2007, 11:12 PM
I just searched the GUU archives and came across several discussions about g/u Ripken helmets. The one started on 1/31/07 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6755&highlight=ripken+helmet) links to an ebay auction which has since expired and I can't recall if it's the same one that was recently up for sale on ebay. I'm guessing not and that it was a more recent one.

I figured most people passed on it because of the size (7 1/4 instead of 7 3/8). But Troy at Mears just posted these comments on the MEARS board that I thought were interesting:

Ebay Cal Ripken Jr. Helmet #200166756445
November 4 2007 at 12:58 PM Troy R. Kinunen (Login Troyrkinunen)
I was recently asked a question regarding item #200166756445 which was recently posted but did not sell on Ebay. It was posted by ebay user name ripken08forever.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cal-Ripken-Jr-Mid-late-80s-Game-Worn-Batting-Helmet_W0QQitemZ200166756445QQihZ010QQcategoryZ501 17QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The item was submitted to MEARS for an evaluation. After several weeks of research, we COULD NOT attribute the helmet to Cal Ripken Jr. and felt it was mostly likely worn by Benny Ayala and/or Lee Lacy. Our comment section read:

"Headband shows moderate wear. The foam in back is severely damaged and is falling out. Side and top also show signs of wear., but are still attached. Helmet can be dated to the 1982-85 period due to the ABC pinwheel on the back of the helmet. Helmet has #8 sticker on it, however, this sticker was applied later. The number originally applied to the helmet was 27, which can be seen under close examination of the bill. The bill has residue and markings from the numbers that are visible. The number 27 was worn by two different players during the years this helmet dates to. The first being Benny Awala who wore number 27 for the Orioles from the 1979-84. The second was Lee Lacy who wore number 27 for the Orioles from 1985-87. Both Benny Ayala and Lee Lacy were right handed batters and wore helmets with the left ear flap so neither of them can be eliminated using that factor. The helmet was autographed on back by Cal Ripken, Jr. with "shortstop written" under it. This helmet comes with a Letter of Authenticity from photographer Alan Sessarego on Through the Lens letterhead."

The complete letter of opinion can be viewed by MEARS members at http://www.mearsonline.com/loa/equipment/helmet.asp?id=307438

My review of the photographs indicate the ebay Cal Ripken Jr. listing was identical to the helmet submitted to MEARS for evaluation. There was no mention of the MEARS opinion referenced in the Ebay listing.

As has been discussed in the past, MEARS does not require anyone to exclusively use our opinions, but in instances where materials changes were discovered, (another players uniform number under existing number) MEARS expects responsbile sellers to provide that information to interested parties.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen
MEARS

Just to update forum members, I spoke with the original owner of the helmet Mr. Alan Sessarego who provided the LOA as well as photos of the helmet etc. He was not happy to say the least about this situation. A couple of things jump out at me about this. Troy posted on MEARS site that they could not attribute the helmet to Cal Ripken jr. I am very, very confused as to why that might be considering the helmet had Ripken's number on the brim, it is a size that has been in the past attributed to Ripken as I have previously pointed out in a recent post that MEARS themselves have authenticated another Ripken game worn helmet in the exact same size as being authentic and lastly and perhaps most important, Cal signed this helmet with a special inscription requested by Mr. Sessarego only as Cal Ripken Jr. Shortstop which I have ONLY ever seen on items that came directly from Alan. It is interesting to note on the LOA for this helmet that under provenance that it listed none. However a similar item authenticated by MEARS in which I provided a similar LOA from Mr. Sessarego complete with pictures and his credentials listed provenance as Orioles team photographer. I have not yet addressed this with Troy at MEARS but you cannot get much better Provenance than an item coming from a former on field team photographer that has provided pictures of himself with Cal, pictures of himself on the field at Memorial Stadium and a picture of his team credentials from the 80's. Another interesting point that perhaps Ironmanfan can address that Mr. Sessarego brought up to me is that he obtained many of these items directly from Cal himself. He told me he could not honestly remember something from 20 plus years ago if this particular item was obtained directly from Cal but he mentioned that when he had Cal sign or autograph these items, Cal did so only after inspecting each item at great length. He said that Cal has refused to ever sign anything that was game used if he was not sure that it was his item. Since Alan was having these items signed during private sessions or times with Cal and not a huge autograph shows or during his public signing sessions before or after Orioles games, I have no reason to doubt that Cal would have taken his time to fully inspect the item before putting his signature on it. Perhaps Ironmanfan can address this specific aspect of his own experience of Cal being asked to sign a game used item when there is a significant question to whether or not it was in fact his own item. I will readdress this issue over at MEARS and prospective buyers can draw their own conclusions however I believe this helmet is what Alan says it is. If MEARS can provide some type of definitive proof such as helmet sizes for Lee Lacy or Benny Ayala if anyone could even locate either one of these gentlemen then we can reevaluate that with new information but issuing an LOA without any definitve proof that either one of those players ever used this helmet simply because there appears to have been a 27 under the current number on the helmet does not really sit too well with me. If there are any additional updates I will address those as they are available.

I appreciate other forum members who have added their own dealings with Alan which as I said, he has been nothing but the very best to deal with and I trust him fully in a time when you can trust almost nobody. This continued nonsense is quite honestly going to drive me out of this industry as I am just sick and tired of everybody questioning everything on a regular basis. Out of all the items in my collection of game used items and items I have handled over the years this would have been one of the top two or three that I would never have given a second thought to as being anything other than what I thought it was. If and when time permits, I am going to see if I can photomatch it to Cal. Hopefully, this answers all questions related to this issue.

Thanks

bigtruck260
11-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Good points on all fronts, but I personally am very happy that a forum like this one exists where both sides of an argument can be heard...and that EXPERTS (not just MEARS, etc., but exclusive collectors such as Ironmanfan) can chime in on certain attributes, etc.

Any dealer or collector should be happy that high-end pieces like this one are put under a giant microscope. Maybe someone is wrong on either side...and it will be discovered here.

Why is it so wrong to question an item that has had a major obvious alteration at some point (#27 to 8)? I see that as something that needs to be examined further. Just my opinion.

It just goes to show that the average collector is becoming more educated...

Regards,
Dave

ironmanfan
11-06-2007, 12:40 AM
As I stated earlier, at the time I first saw this helmet, it had more questions than I personally felt comfortable with, but I do think there is a point that should be brought to the table. I have read the term "Orioles Team Photographer" used somewhat loosely on more than one occasion and I think my recollection was that Mr. Sessarego was never employed by the club, but was one of many professional free lance photographers who obtained credentials & established relationships with the players (although I can't recall ever seeing any of his baseball photography credited commercially). I know there was a personal relationship with Mr. Sessarego & Ray Knight the one year he played in Baltimore ('87), but I don't think it's fair to characterize him as the "Orioles team photographer."

mvandor
11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
It seems to me you're glossing over the central evidence Mears pointed out, the residual marks of a prior number on the bill. It also seems the listing fails to mention the Mears opinion.

Or am I missing something here?

ironmanfan
11-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Mvandor, I think the seller's position is that the original source of this helmet supercedes the physical characteristics, although I can't answer why this information (evidence of number removal on bill & rear) wasn't disclosed in the original eBay auction description.

mvandor
11-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Mvandor, I think the seller's position is that the original source of this helmet supercedes the physical characteristics, although I can't answer why this information (evidence of number removal on bill & rear) wasn't disclosed in the original eBay auction description.

I was being coy. Obviously seller wants to get the maximum price outa the deal so he's leaving the negatives outa the listing. Saying you'll disclose by email if someone contacts you doesn't cut it in my book.

Mears is about the only autheticator I respect anymore, glossing over their assessment is a tad less than ethical IMHO.

Is anyone aware of circumstances where teams were so cheap they recycled batting helmets to stars like Ripken? Seems unlikely to me.

mr.miracle
11-06-2007, 12:56 PM
I was being coy. Obviously seller wants to get the maximum price outa the deal so he's leaving the negatives outa the listing. Saying you'll disclose by email if someone contacts you doesn't cut it in my book.

Mears is about the only autheticator I respect anymore, glossing over their assessment is a tad less than ethical IMHO.

Is anyone aware of circumstances where teams were so cheap they recycled batting helmets to stars like Ripken? Seems unlikely to me.

The main reason that I did not post all of the necessary paperwork initially with this listing is that the original owner Alan Sesserago's complete contact information, company information and the person that the helmet was sold to prior to me was posted prominently on the LOA. I personally know the original owner Alan to be somewhat of a private collector/individual and I did not feel that it would be prudent to display this across ebay or anywhere for that matter without these individuals prior consent especially in light of the fact that neither of them any longer has an interest in this item. Of couse, I do want to obtain the highest price possible for this or any item I sell however as I previously noted, I privately disclosed this information to all interested parties. I think it is fair to say that nobody is going to drop several thousand dollars on anything without seeing all available LOA's, COA's etc. so I fully expected that ANY and ALL inquiries that were made would request this documentation and I provided it accordingly. Like I said, the potential buyer is free to make up their own mind once they view all the evidence.

I am not trying to ignore the fact that potentially the number 27 was removed and an 8 added to the helmet, however I believe it is blind speculation on the part of MEARS to then attribute this helmet to Benny Ayala or Lee Lacy because of that. There is substantially more evidence that points to this being a Ripken game worn helmet than there does whatsoever to this being attributed to either of the two individuals mentioned.

Perhaps Alan was not employed directly by the Baltimore Orioles complete with his own Orioles team name badge. I do know that he worked directly for Ray Knight and was around the team for several years in some type of official capacity. The point is that he had access to the field at Memorial Stadium, he had direct access to the players, their locker room and most importantly to Cal Ripken Jr. himself as the pictures document. We seem to be arguing over semantics as to whether or not he was employed directly by the team. In my mind that makes no difference as countless other forum members have stated along with myself, Alan's other items have always been top notch, no questions asked so I believe him to be above board in regard to this issue.

mvandor
11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your or Alan's explanation for the old numbers that once labeled that piece if I might ask?

mr.miracle
11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Out of curiosity, what is your or Alan's explanation for the old numbers that once labeled that piece if I might ask?

He never specifically mentioned that to me and I don't have a specific explanation other than perhaps something mentioned in a post above. Somebody asked whether or not the Orioles could be so cheap to recycle helmets. If you really need to ask that question then you obviously know nothing about the front office of the Baltimore Orioles. If you look up the word cheap in the dictionary the ownership of the Orioles pictures are in there. From Edward Bennett Williams in the 80's to Peter Angelos in the 90's, these teams have been capable of almost anything when it comes to saving a buck. Could they have recycled this helmet? I have no doubt they could have and would have. Did they? I don't know. In terms of me not mentioning the specifics on the MEARS letter, I absolutely have no intention now or ever of not mentioning LOA's good or bad. I recently sold a game used bat that was graded by John Taube as GU5 of Rip's. I could have tore up the LOA and removed the LOA sticker from the bat because I did not like the grade it received. I did not totally agree with the grade and yes, I know the invisible dna stays with the bat but that is not my point. I sold the bat with the LOA because just like this helmet, I have no intention of purposely hiding something that could come back to bite me 6 months, a year of 5 years from now when the buyer of the item goes to sell and either has it authenticated or consigns it and then the auction house has it authenticated and it comes back that it already was authenticated. Guess what, I am now going to get a very, very angry phone call and rightfully so because I did not disclose all the info. and now I am probably going to have to give someone their money back five years after the fact. That added to the fact that although I want to make money just like the next guy, I want to be known as an ethical seller. I have done business on ebay for 10 plus years and have never had an item questioned that I sold as I fully have always disclosed all facts related to that item and will continue to do so.

In regard to another post, I totally agree that discussion is a good thing as is this forum however we are now going through the very thing I was trying to avoid and that is a complete analysis campaign of this item all over public forums and chat rooms. As previously mentioned, I did not post the LOA in part to keep the indentity of the original owner and buyer private. The next thing I know a forum member tells me this thing is all over the MEARS website and now it has turned into a major back and forth over here at GUF. That is the nonsense and crap that I get sick of because virtually nothing can be bought or sold anymore without it turning into something just short of a Senate Oversight Committee investigation complete with 2600 pages of worthless documentation and red tape. That overall analysis has nothing specific to do with this item it is just my opinion on virtually everything being bought and sold on ebay, auctions etc. Yes this forum is great however it is just amazing that people jump to conclusions before having all the facts.

I am sorry it "does not cut it in my book" for everyone however you are free to bid or not bid as you see fit. If you would have contacted me about the item as other potential bidders have done, then you would have received the same full disclosure that all the other people who contacted me received. We have seen time and time again that MEARS makes mistakes just like any other authenticator. While their opinion is not without merit, I think this is a sloppy job of authentication in this instance. To not mention on the Cert the provenance of the person supplying the LOA when again, it was prominently mentioned on another cert for another Ripken piece that they did which came from the same gentleman Alan who sold this piece is sloppy and careless. To suggest that there is no evidence to support this as a Ripken helmet is ludicrous at best. There is more evidence to support it as a Ripken helmet than not especially when the alternative is suggesting it was used by two marginal big league players at best.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas and as I find out more I will let everyone know.

Thanks

soxbats
11-06-2007, 07:42 PM
"If you would have contacted me about the item as other potential bidders have done, then you would have received the same full disclosure that all the other people who contacted me received."

Brett, did the description indicate that there was additional information on the helmet and that any bidders should contact you for that information?

mr.miracle
11-06-2007, 08:11 PM
"If you would have contacted me about the item as other potential bidders have done, then you would have received the same full disclosure that all the other people who contacted me received."

Brett, did the description indicate that there was additional information on the helmet and that any bidders should contact you for that information?

Without pulling up the specific description as listed on ebay, it went something like this, the helmet comes with an LOA from former Orioles team photographer. Due to personal information contained in the LOA please contact me via ebay or at my personal email address at brettherman2131@hotmail.com and I will email this documentation to you. I must admit that I did not disclose anything specific in the auction listing regarding the MEARS LOA but have emailed all of the individual inquiries with something to the effect that this helmet was evaluated by MEARS and explained who they were and that their opinion is that the helmet is attributed to former Orioles playes Benny Ayala or Lee Lacy and not to Ripken. I informed the potential buyers if they wanted to view the LOA I would provide it to them through email as well but nobody asked to this point although Troy's summary originally posted in this thread is exactly what is listed on the LOA.

So to answer your question, and that of others, no, I did not provide absolute full disclosure up front with a copy of the LOA by MEARS posted on the auction page with the helmet. It is my opinion that the MEARS LOA is flawed but just like that, it is my opinion much as they have THEIR opinion on this helmet.

What really, really is upsetting is that due to what I would call sloppy, sloppy work, an item that would sell for well over $5k under normal circumstances if fully authenticated at Mastro, Lelands, Edwards etc. is now reduced to a $250.00 novelty piece no matter what outcome is ever decided about this helmet. Even if I can somehow photomatch it and that is certainly a big, big if, there will always now be questions about its authenticity and most likely nobody will touch it with a ten foot pole. In all my years collecting Ripken items I have seen a total of two mid 80's batting helmets so this is a really rare piece that should have commanded top dollar.

I spoke to Alan Sessarego again earlier tonight and he left me with this comment. Not a direct quote but to paraphrase, who are these authenticators exactly? I knew Cal, I knew the entire Orioles team, I have no idea who Benny Ayala is, I worked at Memorial Stadium for several years photographing on the field and came in contact and obtained many items from Orioles players, and Cal Ripken specifically. I have never, ever sold anybody anything that I was not sure was authentic in every facet and sense of the word. Yet here we are now people take the word of some supposed expert that probably has never even met this player or had any interaction with him at any point and we are supposed to take their word over someone that knew him and was around him every day for several years during the season.

Alan is no longer involved in sports memorabilia. He told me he never bought anything which is an interesting point in that nobody would have ever had any personal benefit as trying to pass something off as Cal Ripken game used or worn to Alan as there was no financial gain to be had. He told me he obtained most of his items directly from the players on the Orioles. Maybe in some huge cover up Orioles players were involved in changing the numbers on the batting helmets prior to giving these to Alan for no apparent reason whatsoever. Yeah, that must be it. Alan told me he pretty much sold the last of his items last year after about 20 years of it. He said he wants to wash his hands of all of this as he has moved on to other pursuits. I personally don't blame him as I most likely will begin to trim out my own collection and keep only a few special keepsakes as I am simply fed up with all the genuises out there that think they know it all and quite simply haven't got a clue. I have personally collected Cal Ripken Jr. almost exclusively for over 20 years and I am by no means an expert after all those years having handled and or viewed over 100 pieces of Ripken game used material. Yet, I am astounded by the impressive display of brain power exhibited by all the experts both here and elsewhere that have never done more than perhaps look at one or two Ripken items yet they are self annointed as the leading studies in this field and legends in their own minds.

Sorry for the rant, but hope that helps answer your questions.

Thanks