PDA

View Full Version : Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items?

3arod13
11-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items? Not familiar with MEARS and/or their reputation in the hobby. Any advise and/or guidance would be appreciated.

33bird
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I would if I thought it could get an A10 grade. Other than that, I can't really see the point of having it graded.
Greg

3arod13
11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I would if I thought it could get an A10 grade. Other than that, I can't really see the point of having it graded.
Greg

Looking more at authenticating vice grading, or do they have to do both?

bigtruck260
11-09-2007, 10:22 AM
The only way you can get an A10 is to have air tight provenance...right?
If that's the case, I'll take the provenance and save myself the money...

Dave

33bird
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
No, that's for post-1987 jerseys. Pre-1987 game used stuff can get an A10 without the air tight stuff, since older jerseys didn't come with team coa's, etc. Yea, you can get things authenticated or graded, just depends on what you have and what you need done with it.
Greg

bigtruck260
11-09-2007, 01:35 PM
No, that's for post-1987 jerseys. Pre-1987 game used stuff can get an A10 without the air tight stuff, since older jerseys didn't come with team coa's, etc. Yea, you can get things authenticated or graded, just depends on what you have and what you need done with it.
Greg

I'm two faced...:D

I guess I would buy a reasonably priced MEARS item...but doubtful that I would actually send something I own off. For insurance purposes/appraisal, etc. I might consider it - but as with anything that is opinion based...it's subjective, and you should never over-anticipate results. I would be interesting in knowing the population of MEARS A10 graded items based on submissions....

Actaully, even anything above 5 (is that the auction house minimum?).

How many items are given low grades?

Dave

cigarman44
11-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I just received my Pujols bat that is graded a A8.5 (would have been A9 if not for the crack) That thing is better than I expected from the pics. I dont know if Id send any of my pieces in to be graded but getting one along with a piece is pretty cool to have.

ahuff
11-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Can you guys tell me what each of the grades mean? I've read them, but each time I do, it seems like each grade is just about the same. Other than A-10.

bigtruck260
11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I just received my Pujols bat that is graded a A8.5 (would have been A9 if not for the crack) That thing is better than I expected from the pics. I dont know if Id send any of my pieces in to be graded but getting one along with a piece is pretty cool to have.

Joe - you stole that bat. GREAT pickup. One of the best Albert examples I have ever seen.

Dave

David
11-09-2007, 03:16 PM
To answer AROD's questions, though no one is perfect, MEARS generally has a good reputation in the hobby. Even the vocal critics on this board generally acknowledge that they are a good outfit, especially for baseball jerseys.

As with sending in an autograph, one has to debate if the cost for the letter is worth the financial return, but in the market and with ordinary collectors a MEARS letter is significant. A MEARS letter will be of particular importance for buyers who don't ordinarily buy game used and want a desire a second opinion.

David
11-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I should add that, as reference, Robert Edward Auctions has all their gu items authenticated by MEARS, and REA is a top notch auction house. Additionally, many items in the recent Game Used Universe auction had MEARS letters.

TNTtoys
11-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Guys,

You need to clarify what the question is here...

1. Would you use MEARS to authenticate your items (if you had to choose any of the authentication companies)?

or

2. Would you use MEARS to authenticate your items (if you had the choice between authenticating items or not authenticating items)?

From my own experiences, their authentication seems to be a little more systematic and thorough than some of the others... this is something you need with an authenticator. They don't come across as a group who simply want to authenticate as many things as possible because it will draw a higher paycheck at day's end. They have also been very willing to alter previously issued letters when they have made mistakes, which too is something I value. If I had to use anyone to authenticate an item, (**presuming I don't already know an expert in that area**), I would choose them.
If the question is regarding whather or not I would authenticate an item at all, it would most definitely depend on the circumatance (i.e. if the purpose is to sell the item and obtain the highest price possible). I certainly would not authenticate something I plan to keep in my own collection, nor would I choose to authenticate a lower end item.

Hope this is useful...

Nick

33bird
11-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Exactly. That's why I said it might be worth it to pursue getting something graded an A10-for resale purposes. Even the auction houses now are using Mears and the higher the grade, the higher the price.
Greg

bigtruck260
11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Nick - you have echoed my sentiments exactly. Thanks for taking the time sir.

Dave

Mac670
11-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Someone stated that Mears was good foe baseball jerseys, but if you wanted to authenticate basketball jerseys. Would you use Mears or Grey Flannel?

both-teams-played-hard
11-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Someone stated that Mears was good foe baseball jerseys, but if you wanted to authenticate basketball jerseys. Would you use Mears or Grey Flannel?
If you want an LOA for re-sell purposes, I think MEARS or Grey Flannel are about the same. If it is for your own peace of mind, then why not post photos on this forum? You will get a variety of opinions, and it's FREE. If it's basketball from the last 15 years...then you the hell knows anyway?
GOOD LUCK!

33bird
11-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I would go with Mears for bball too. GF has some great stuff, but they still make too many mistakes. Just my 2 cents.
G.Todd

tym
11-17-2007, 02:49 AM
Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items? Not familiar with MEARS and/or their reputation in the hobby. Any advise and/or guidance would be appreciated.

I don't know as of this point, clearly their idea of priority and mine is different. Their database being out of date has caused pain on one transaction that I could have just completed using my own knowledge but unfortunately it had a MEARS LOO attached to it that I then had to authinticate on top of the memerobilia because it was not in thier DB when I did a look up.

Regards,
Ty
Visit the Mariners on line museum at www.FriendsOfCff.com (http://www.FriendsOfCff.com)

hblakewolf
11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't know as of this point, clearly their idea of priority and mine is different. Their database being out of date has caused pain on one transaction that I could have just completed using my own knowledge but unfortunately it had a MEARS LOO attached to it that I then had to authinticate on top of the memerobilia because it was not in thier DB when I did a look up.

Regards,
Ty
Visit the Mariners on line museum at www.FriendsOfCff.com (http://www.FriendsOfCff.com)

Ty-
Why would you experience such "pain" from the MEARS database not being updated? If you are in such need of information from MEARS, did you try to contact Dave Bushing or Troy? Both of their emails are available on the MEARS site. My experieince with both of them has always been extremely positive, and both have responded quickly to questions I have sent. Likewise, I'm sure if you asked, they would allow you or the seller to send them the jersey in question, and I'd be willing to bet that they would even pick up the tab for the overnight shipping.

You further note, "one transaction that I could have just completed using my own knowledge but unfortunately it had a MEARS LOO attached to it that I then had to authinticate on top of the memerobilia.." Why would a transaction not be completed, if you have knowledge of an item and also this web site to ask other collectors about the specific issues of concern? Was your transaction specifically based on something described or outlined in the MEARS LOA?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

tym
11-29-2007, 03:54 PM
The situation was resolved just fine, MEARS has reevaluated the item, it now has a LOA that is in their data base. Yes I worked with Dave and Troy. If a item comes with a LOA it has to be authenticated as well in my opinion, especially if its a top of the line LOA, they can be counterfeited as well.

Regards,
Ty

EndzoneSports
11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
One additional comment... Those who know me also know that I am by no means an advocate of 3rd-party authentication, and instead tend to be a proponent for self-education/authentication. I also understand, however, the hobby's "need" for said service... A necessary evil, as it were.

That said, I can offer one positive re: MEARS that I don't think that any of the other authentication services use--outside resources. When MEARS was formed (originally as SCD Authentic), one of their collective understandings was the realization that they didn't know it all, and in some cases, there were niche "experts" who knew more than they did regarding their particular area of expertise. Based on this, MEARS started building a network of specialty resources that they could call on as needed. I for one, have been contacted by Troy to consult on a number of occasions re: my specific area of interest. In most cases, I found that they were already barking up the right tree, and just looking for verification.

I should point out that I have no interest in MEARS nor do I receive any compensation when my opinion is sought... It's something that I do with pleasure, knowing that they are seeking the most thorough and accurate information for their clients.

Regards,

sammy
11-30-2007, 11:40 AM
I personally would use MEARS over any other company, period.

They are the best third party sports memorabilia authenticating company, bar none.