Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items?

Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items? Not familiar with MEARS and/or their reputation in the hobby. Any advise and/or guidance would be appreciated.
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • 33bird
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items?

I would if I thought it could get an A10 grade. Other than that, I can't really see the point of having it graded.
    Greg

Comment

• 3arod13
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 33bird
      I would if I thought it could get an A10 grade. Other than that, I can't really see the point of having it graded.
      Greg
      Looking more at authenticating vice grading, or do they have to do both?
      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• bigtruck260
        • Sep 2007

The only way you can get an A10 is to have air tight provenance...right?
        If that's the case, I'll take the provenance and save myself the money...

Dave
        Dave
        Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
        River City Redbird Authentics
        http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• 33bird
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

No, that's for post-1987 jerseys. Pre-1987 game used stuff can get an A10 without the air tight stuff, since older jerseys didn't come with team coa's, etc. Yea, you can get things authenticated or graded, just depends on what you have and what you need done with it.
          Greg

Comment

• bigtruck260
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by 33bird
            No, that's for post-1987 jerseys. Pre-1987 game used stuff can get an A10 without the air tight stuff, since older jerseys didn't come with team coa's, etc. Yea, you can get things authenticated or graded, just depends on what you have and what you need done with it.
            Greg
            I'm two faced...

I guess I would buy a reasonably priced MEARS item...but doubtful that I would actually send something I own off. For insurance purposes/appraisal, etc. I might consider it - but as with anything that is opinion based...it's subjective, and you should never over-anticipate results. I would be interesting in knowing the population of MEARS A10 graded items based on submissions....

Actaully, even anything above 5 (is that the auction house minimum?).

How many items are given low grades?

Dave
            Dave

sigpic

Comment

• cigarman44
              • Aug 2007

I just received my Pujols bat that is graded a A8.5 (would have been A9 if not for the crack) That thing is better than I expected from the pics. I dont know if Id send any of my pieces in to be graded but getting one along with a piece is pretty cool to have.

Comment

• ahuff
                • Nov 2005

Can you guys tell me what each of the grades mean? I've read them, but each time I do, it seems like each grade is just about the same. Other than A-10.
                "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Comment

• bigtruck260
                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by cigarman44
                  I just received my Pujols bat that is graded a A8.5 (would have been A9 if not for the crack) That thing is better than I expected from the pics. I dont know if Id send any of my pieces in to be graded but getting one along with a piece is pretty cool to have.
                  Joe - you stole that bat. GREAT pickup. One of the best Albert examples I have ever seen.

Dave
                  Dave

sigpic

Comment

• David
                    • Sep 2024

To answer AROD's questions, though no one is perfect, MEARS generally has a good reputation in the hobby. Even the vocal critics on this board generally acknowledge that they are a good outfit, especially for baseball jerseys.

As with sending in an autograph, one has to debate if the cost for the letter is worth the financial return, but in the market and with ordinary collectors a MEARS letter is significant. A MEARS letter will be of particular importance for buyers who don't ordinarily buy game used and want a desire a second opinion.

Comment

• David
                      • Sep 2024

I should add that, as reference, Robert Edward Auctions has all their gu items authenticated by MEARS, and REA is a top notch auction house. Additionally, many items in the recent Game Used Universe auction had MEARS letters.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                        • Aug 2006

Guys,

You need to clarify what the question is here...

1. Would you use MEARS to authenticate your items (if you had to choose any of the authentication companies)?

or

2. Would you use MEARS to authenticate your items (if you had the choice between authenticating items or not authenticating items)?

From my own experiences, their authentication seems to be a little more systematic and thorough than some of the others... this is something you need with an authenticator. They don't come across as a group who simply want to authenticate as many things as possible because it will draw a higher paycheck at day's end. They have also been very willing to alter previously issued letters when they have made mistakes, which too is something I value. If I had to use anyone to authenticate an item, (**presuming I don't already know an expert in that area**), I would choose them.
                        If the question is regarding whather or not I would authenticate an item at all, it would most definitely depend on the circumatance (i.e. if the purpose is to sell the item and obtain the highest price possible). I certainly would not authenticate something I plan to keep in my own collection, nor would I choose to authenticate a lower end item.

Hope this is useful...

Nick
                        Looking for ...
                        Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                        Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                        Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• 33bird
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

Exactly. That's why I said it might be worth it to pursue getting something graded an A10-for resale purposes. Even the auction houses now are using Mears and the higher the grade, the higher the price.
                          Greg

Comment

• bigtruck260
                            • Sep 2007

Nick - you have echoed my sentiments exactly. Thanks for taking the time sir.

Dave
                            Dave

sigpic

Comment

• Mac670
                              • May 2007

Someone stated that Mears was good foe baseball jerseys, but if you wanted to authenticate basketball jerseys. Would you use Mears or Grey Flannel?

Comment

Working...