PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ortiz bat please

Tedw9
11-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi All,

I was surfing Ebay while waiting for supper to be ready and came across this bat. Comparing it to Ortiz game used bats from this year, it is a type/style match. It seemed like a decent deal, but I would much appreciate it if you all would tell me if you believe it is a legit gamer.

Thanks! :)

Tedw9
11-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Forgot the link. :o

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140177730999&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

gameused
11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi All,

I was surfing Ebay while waiting for supper to be ready and came across this bat. Comparing it to Ortiz game used bats from this year, it is a type/style match. It seemed like a decent deal, but I would much appreciate it if you all would tell me if you believe it is a legit gamer.

Thanks! :)

Looks like a legit Ortiz gamer, typical pine tar application and cleat marks to the left barrel area.

The bat would have sold for a lot more if it was not missing that sliver on the handle. I posted some pics of some Ortiz gamers in my collection to compare.

b.heagy
11-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Looks like a legit Ortiz gamer, typical pine tar application and cleat marks to the left barrel area.

The bat would have sold for a lot more if it was not missing that sliver on the handle. I posted some pics of some Ortiz gamers in my collection to compare.

:eek: Nice collection !

Tedw9
11-09-2007, 09:11 PM

HOLY CRAP! :eek: I need a little bow down smiley to insert here! That is one incredible Papi collection. I am three shades of green with envy. :D

Thank you for the opinion, that makes me feel better about the purchase. You say it would have sold for more without the sliver being missing? So there is a price/value difference with whole, cracked and slivered bats? A newbie question, I know and I apologize for that. Was the bat worth what I paid?

DGRROSEN
11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Gameused, that is one fantastic collection of Ortiz bats. I have only 1 Ortiz bat, but it is from the 2004 season. As a RedSox fan for 40 years, I had to have a bat from the 2004 season when "the curse" was finally busted. During the 1990's I collected Mo Vaughn bats because I thought that Mo would help get the RedSox to a series victory.

gameused
11-10-2007, 02:57 AM
HOLY CRAP! :eek: I need a little bow down smiley to insert here! That is one incredible Papi collection. I am three shades of green with envy. :D

Thank you for the opinion, that makes me feel better about the purchase. You say it would have sold for more without the sliver being missing? So there is a price/value difference with whole, cracked and slivered bats? A newbie question, I know and I apologize for that. Was the bat worth what I paid?

No problem, glad to be of help. Definetly a price difference with bats with large slivers or handles missing, slight difference in price with cracked bats vs uncracked (some collectors like bats with cracks others like them uncracked) to me it does not matter, I just like my bats with lots of game use. I think you paid a fair price for the bat now that the Red Sox won the World Series, collectors like bats from W.S years.

Also, thanks guys for the compliments on the Ortiz collection. Ortiz and Manny are the two main guys I collect along with other current Red Sox players.

I added three 2007 Ortiz bats this year and will post some pics later.

From top to bottom, here are the years of the bats.
2005 Home Run Derby bat (Ortiz hit a total of 20 Home Runs with this bat, photo matched)
2006 54th HR bat (I have photo matched this bat to the final games of the the 06 season 9/23, 9/26-54th HR game, 9/27, 9/29 Papi's last double of the season)

gameused
11-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Heres the 2007 Ortiz bats:

Nokona Maple Dominican flag-Photo Matched

Nokona Maple-Brown handle

Rawlings Maple-Photo Matched

Tedw9
11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you go and post more! I was happy to get one bat, but NINE? That's incredible.

I got to ask, where are you photo matching at? I bought MLB.TV subscription, but with no luck so far. The picture is too grainy.

gameused
11-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I had great luck finding matches on wesbhots.com and flickr.com

Post some pics of your Ortiz bat, I save a lot of Ortiz photos from the season and I will check to see if I can find a match.

gameused
11-19-2007, 06:19 PM
sorry that was webshots.com

Tedw9
11-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Let me correct my math, you now have TWELVE Papi bats! WOW!

Tedw9
11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I had great luck finding matches on wesbhots.com and flickr.com

Post some pics of your Ortiz bat, I save a lot of Ortiz photos from the season and I will check to see if I can find a match.

I've tried Flickr but found a ton of pictures. It gets frustrating for me, you need alot of patience and a good eye for small details.

If you would be so kind as to see if you can find a match for me I would appreciate it a lot. :)

Thank you!

gameused
11-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I think I found a photo match to your bat from a Red Sox vs Angels game on 8-6-07

If you closely at the first photo where I circled the ballmark below the stamped "PRO" looks like a match, also the mid area of the handle grain matches, along with that little dot near the silver ring of the bat.

The second pic shows the number on the knob that matches.

Go to the link below and look at all the pics of Ortiz from that game, you can turn the bat at the various angles of the photos and see it matches up.

Bobby

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Icon.woa/2/wo/xn8mXdtfeFTjtoUpmXstUM/7.0.7.23.ThumbnailDisplay.3.0.23.1.5.1.7.1.0

indyred
11-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Great Ortiz collection and pictures of them Gameused. The B9 Louisville Slugger from Home Run derby is really cool. That has to be one od his rarest models out there.
That looks like a nice match you found for Tedw9 new pick up. Nice work!

gameused
11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Great Ortiz collection and pictures of them Gameused. The B9 Louisville Slugger from Home Run derby is really cool. That has to be one od his rarest models out there.
That looks like a nice match you found for Tedw9 new pick up. Nice work!

indyred,

Thanks! The B-9 I know Ortiz would use a lot during B.P., I did see a photo or two of him using a B-9 during a game.

Tedw9's Ortiz bat must have been in the same bat rack at one point or another as the one I have from a Red Sox vs Orioles game on 8-11-07, his bat is matched from a game on 8-6-07.

Heres some pics of the match:

worldchamps
11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
That is a great bat, I am disappointed I missed that one...I have been looking for one in the low $300's

Great find!

Bill

Tedw9
11-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Gameused,

THANK YOU!!! :D You made my day with those pictures! I can't thank you enough for doing that for me, those pictures match up perfectly with my bat. I'm amazed you were able to find it so quickly.

Thank you again for taking the time to find a match for me, you have no idea how much this newbie appreciates it. If there is anything I can do to repay you or help you in kind, please let me know.

Steve

gameused
11-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Gameused,

THANK YOU!!! :D You made my day with those pictures! I can't thank you enough for doing that for me, those pictures match up perfectly with my bat. I'm amazed you were able to find it so quickly.

Thank you again for taking the time to find a match for me, you have no idea how much this newbie appreciates it. If there is anything I can do to repay you or help you in kind, please let me know.

Steve

Steve,

Your welcome! I was surprised that I found a match so quickly, sometimes you get lucky.

The best part in my opinion of collecting game used bats is trying to find a photo match, when you do find a photo placing a bat in a players hands it makes it all worth while.

Bobby

gameused
11-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Steve,

You can go to mlbtv now and look at games from 8-6-07 into September and try to see when your bat was cracked. That would be neat to know when that Ortiz bat was cracked.

Bobby

Tedw9
11-20-2007, 06:45 PM
That is a great bat, I am disappointed I missed that one...I have been looking for one in the low $300's

Great find!

Bill

Thank you Bill. :) I got lucky finding it, it had been listed less than an hour before. I'm a small time collector compared to others here, so this was a major score for me.

Steve,

You can go to mlbtv now and look at games from 8-6-07 into September and try to see when your bat was cracked. That would be neat to know when that Ortiz bat was cracked.

Bobby

Bobby, I will be heading to mlb.tv this weekend to see if I can find where it was broken. I am going to see if I can also find every hit that Papi got with this bat before it broke. I want as much history on this as I can get. Thanks again, you rock! :D