PDA

View Full Version : Jim Palmer Orioles Jersey Font

Eric
11-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Question regarding
Lot # 177 - 1980 Jim Palmer Baltimore Orioles Spring Training Worn & Autographed Home Jersey (JSA)
http://greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?CategoryNum=3&Lot=177

Can anyone show me photos of the 1980 Orioles with the font of the #2 matching the jersey at auction?
The auction listing states "This jersey was sent to the Orioles in 1980, possibly worn in spring training and then sent down to the minors with the name on back removed."

Did the wear jerseys with a different font in spring training? I'd be interested in the story here. Perhaps they tried out a new jersey supplier for spring training? Perhaps it's a sample (they're also selling an eddie murray and frank robinson made by descente)?

Eric
11-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Another shot of the number style used in the regular season

kingjammy24
11-10-2007, 02:15 AM
if you look at the back of the GFC jersey, on the bottom, you can see the word "CHITI" written in marker on the inside. i believe this refers to to Dom Chiti who signed with the Orioles in 1981 and pitched 1 month in Hagerstown before retiring. Chiti never played in the major leagues. if i'm right, then the jersey was indeed used in the minors. who knows if jim palmer ever wore it at all.

i'm confused as to why GFC wouldn't mention a name, other than palmer, written in marker on the jersey. it seems pertinent to me.

rudy.