PDA

View Full Version : Another GA "Game Issue" Helmet Sells for $1,000+

aeneas01
11-12-2007, 02:22 AM
gotta love gridiron authentics - not only do they play loosey-goosey with their "game issue" helmet descriptions, but they also spawn others who take their lead and embellish even more. here's a ga lid that ebayer "lasports77" recently put up for sale on ebay which fetched over $1k after s&h. here is part of his item description....

"...we are pleased to offer Dan Marino's 1999 Miami Dolphins Game Issue Helmet! It was perfectly HAND-SIGNED in Blue by Dan. Winning bidder receives picture of Dan signing the Helmet. Comes complete with Certificate of Authenticity from Gridiron Authentics. Which Guarantees the item to be an Actual Miami Dolphins Helmet,As issued to Dan Marino for on-field use in NFL games."

what the buyer actually purchased was a stock riddell helmet that was fitted with decals and facemask to match what marino once wore - a stock helmet that never saw the dolphins' lockerroom nor marino's head...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280169246697&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

mvandor
11-12-2007, 11:15 AM
Saw that one too as it is very much like my UD Marino (although mine is the older style).

I could only hope to get that kind of jack if I put it on the market. :(

jayt1234
11-12-2007, 02:40 PM
and others on this forum I have certainly learned so much about game used items (specificaly NFL helmets) that seeing these fooolish claims on Ebay have become just entertainment. I from time to time see things that seem to be legit, but it really boils down to the source....Outside of a few teams NFL helmets are so scarce that if someone did obtain one there really would need to be sound origins.....I mean the excuse of "got from a friend who is the equipment manager" or "won at a local charity auction" just do not seem to be enough evidence...Also how it also seems to be star players who are available...So there are no other Ravens helmet's out there, but somehow Ray Lewis's seems to appear out of knowwhere....I have bough two Cowboys helmets of common players from the Cowboys but even those came at a pretty good price....I will admit I have reproduced down to the last detail a 2006 Drew Bledsoe Cowboys, 1997 Bledsoe Patriots, 2007 Braylon Edwards Browns, & 2006 Marion Barber for collecting purposes only...I swear I got every detail down and it was suprising how easy (and fun) it was to obtain maskes, clips, chinstraps and decals that would render these helmets as game issued...However I would never sell these to begin with, but if I did they would be clearly sold as reproductions only.

Jay

suave1477
11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
They are also selling a Tanning Bed lol lol

Maybe that was Dan Mario's Game Issued also since Dan always like to have a nice Tan.:D :D