PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Mike Schmidt Grey Jersey?

hblakewolf
11-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Current offering on ebay:

1987 MIKE SCHMIDT JERSEY. "Made just for Mike Schmidt #20 when he played for the Philadelphia Phillies"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260181149412&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

The problem(s) with this jersey:
1. The Phillies first wore GREY knit in 1989, not 1987 as this is tagged. In 1987, the Phillies wore BLUE KNIT.

2. The tagging is completely incorrect. SCHMIDT and the yearset (87 1) should be EMBROIDERED in the collar. Likewise, it appears that the Rawlings tag is sewn in both the collar and again in the tail. Team issued, game worn jerseys from 1987 do not have any tail tagging.

After emailing the seller, I received the following response:
"YES! It was made specifically for him to wear. Rawlings
produced more Jerseys for Schmidt that year than he needed.
When something like that happens, the teams equipment
manager returns the extra jerseys to Rawlings. They
overpruduced the jerseys Mike Schmidt needed. Hope this
helps".
- deneenorman

The seller also has other Superstar jerseys currently listed on ebay. Not sure if these are simply ScoreBoard shirts, but I don't remember ever seeing this version of road grey Schmidt offered from Score Board with 1987 tagging.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
11-13-2007, 03:06 PM
i'm assuming that the '87 phillies used standard order sheets in their purchases with rawlings. the order sheets would denote how many jerseys should be made for each player, including schmidt.

so, according to the seller, rawlings somehow ignored the order sheet and just produced a glut of jerseys for schmidt? maybe their machines went haywire and just started spewing out schmidt jerseys and noone at rawlings could stop the crazy machines until it was too late? it almost sounds like a cartoon.

rudy.

TNTtoys
11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Let's of course not forget the obvious... that until the 1989 season, the Phillies wore powder blue... so this Rawlings factory worker not only ignored the order to mass produce the Schmidt jersey, but they also were quite the prognosticator to know that 2 years into the future the Phillies would change the color on all of their road jerseys to gray.

Seriously, the seller has since changed his description to read that this is one of 20 custom made jerseys (quite different to the original "game issued" tone). He then ended the listing for "error in description."

b.heagy
11-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I was researching the vintage baseballs catagory when I stumbled across this. http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTH-CUSTOM-MADE-PHILLIES-Baseball-JERSEY-MIKE-SCHMIDT_W0QQitemZ260184101446QQihZ016QQcategoryZ50 124QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The other jerseys were listed there too.

TNTtoys
11-20-2007, 03:03 PM
I was researching the vintage baseballs catagory when I stumbled across this. http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTH-CUSTOM-MADE-PHILLIES-Baseball-JERSEY-MIKE-SCHMIDT_W0QQitemZ260184101446QQihZ016QQcategoryZ50 124QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The other jerseys were listed there too.
Am I reading this correctly -- did the seller get $500.00 for this item???

At first, I thought it might be a blank done up to look like a Schmidt; however, I struggle with the whole 1987 tag on a 1989 style jersey. Something is very off here. If they are in fact 1989 blanks, why is the customizer applying 1987 set tags to them? Pretty deceptive practice to be poilite. Further, if you look at the subtitle, it mentions that there are 20 of these jerseys.

b.heagy
11-20-2007, 03:25 PM
You read it correctly. The high bidder of the Schmidt also won 2 Bo Jackson's and a Nolan Ryan. Spending alot of money for those four jerseys.

lon lewis
11-20-2007, 06:44 PM
What I found interesting about this jersey other than the obvious, was that the pictures show two different types of tagging. In the collar there is what appears to be a standard circa 1987 red Rawlings tag that doesn't have the flag tags. There is a second picture that has a red Rawlings tag circa 1992-3 with the flag tags denoting 1987 and set 2 that is possibly located in the tail. It's tough to tell the exact location of these tags.