PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Baseball items?

joelsabi
11-18-2007, 04:00 PM
How early do player get items stamped on their bats? for example have you ever seen a player in single A with a stamped (players name) bat? what the earliest you have seen a stampled bat.

Also on jersey, are there minor league teams that have the players name on the back of the uniform.

Also have you ever seen last names on the back of high school or college uniforms? how common is this?

OaklandAsFan
11-18-2007, 04:11 PM
How early do player get items stamped on their bats? for example have you ever seen a player in single A with a stamped (players name) bat? what the earliest you have seen a stampled bat.

Also on jersey, are there minor league teams that have the players name on the back of the uniform.

Also have you ever seen last names on the back of high school or college uniforms? how common is this?

I know that Matt Laporta had his name on his bats down here in the Arizona Fall League and he hasn't played over A ball I believe.

joelsabi
11-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I know that Matt Laporta had his name on his bats down here in the Arizona Fall League and he hasn't played over A ball I believe.

did laporta always have a stamped bat? he is considered a top prospect? do top prosepects have contracts with bat companies while they are in the minors or do the teams order them for the players this way?

Chris78
11-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Some minor league teams do have their names on the back of the jersey. Around where I live, the Reading Phillies in 2007 had both home and road jerseys with the name on back, Lakewood Blueclaws had it on the home (Road may have been also in 2007, but I cannot remember), and the Harrisburg Senators had it on the home. There may have been others as well (Richmond Braves Road had it), but a lot of teams do not (especially road jerseys). The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons had it on their home because I bought a lot of these (they are now the Yankees and like the NY Yankees do not have the name).

As far as names on bats and maybe the MLB team name, I bought a Kevin Reese at the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees that had his name on it for $25 at the one stand (it did not have New York Yankees on it :( ). There was a broken bat at a different SWB Yankees game that a kid in front of me got and it said "Alberto Gonzalez New York Yankees" on it and it was a Louisville Slugger. Honestly, until recently, I did not pay attention to the minor league bats.

brianborsch
11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
My Adrian Cardenas LVS M9 was from early 2007 and it has his name in block letters along with Philadelphia Phillies on it. This was his first season in single A (Lakewood Blueclaws) where last year he was in the GCL (rookie league).
I also have his game used jersey from the GCL Phillies and it has his last name on it. A lot of minor league jerseys do not have this. I would imagine its due to the fact that a player never stays with any one ball club for long.

madlab7
11-19-2007, 12:40 AM
I would say that around 50-60% of minor leaguers have their names on their bats. Most of the times, bats that the players get through their agents will have their names. The reason not all players have their names on bats is probably that it cost them more money. To a first rounder it may be worth the extra 50 bucks to get their name engraved on their bat, as opposed to a 30th rounder that didnt sign for alot and could care less about their name on the barrell; I have seen both scenerios. Also of note, most players that get their names engraved also have the parent clubs team name engraved, just like the MLB bats.

On the jersey note, I am sure that most teams have names on the back of their jerseys. It is fairly easy and quick to change a nameplate for player transactions and can be done pregame normally. For us it is easy as our seamstree is only 10 minutes down the road. Most teams that I have seen come through have not had their names on the away jerseys, but a couple such as Lakewood and Rome do.

11-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Although there may be other guidelines, I have been told that once a player gets invited to Major League spring training, the teams will order bats with the player names on them.

Perhaps the person from Hillerich & Bradsby (is it Bud Hillerich?) on this forum can shed some light.

Tom Duino