PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Natural Ability (Own) or Enhanced Ability (Steroids)?

3arod13
11-19-2007, 11:15 AM
Looking over many past threads about steroid use, some are against it and some don't have a problem with it.

Myself, I prefer natual ability.

What do you prefer?

David
11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
As a sportswriter recently said, "Barry Bonds is the best player ever who used steroids."

3arod13
11-19-2007, 12:58 PM
More curious to see, say if MLB was considering making steriods and/or enhancers legal for ball players to use, would you prefer natural ability or would you like to see players use things to enhance their power?

David
11-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I agree with the President of the Tour de France when he said, "I have no interest in watching a pharmeceuticals race."

I like watching humans compete. I'm not interested in seeing which steroid hit the longest home run and which blood transfusion came in first.

David
11-19-2007, 02:21 PM
If baseball allows players to artificially enhance their stats with drugs, why shouldn't baseball just give up the ghost and pad the stats statistically. If a player hits a 500 home run, MLB might as well add 20 percent and say he hit a 600 home run. If a player hits 40 home runs in a season, why shouldn't MLB just automatically add 20 percent and write down that he hit 48? How's would this be any less artificial than adding 20 percent by human growth hormone?

Jags Fan Dan
11-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree with the President of the Tour de France when he said, "I have no interest in watching a pharmeceuticals race."

I like watching humans compete. I'm not interested in seeing which steroid hit the longest home run and which blood transfusion came in first.
I agree with this. Heck, if you're going to allow steroids, why not just allow people to make robots to hit the ball 1,000 feet or pitch 250 mph? I like to watch natural athletes, because you can better appreciate what they are doing. With a natural athlete, you think to yourself: Could I do that? Versus thinking: Could I do that if I juiced enough or had enough illegal substances coursing through my veins?

David
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Hows this for a compromise? MLB allow players to use any drugs they want, but automatically cuts everyone's stats by 50 percent? This way players can have the joys of HGH booster shots and shrunken testicles and fans can have realistic statistics.

David
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
The important thing to note is that most MLB players wish there was some way to completely eliminate steroids/HGH/et al from baseball forever, as they are well aware how potentially dangerous and perhaps even deadly these drugs are.

David
11-19-2007, 02:49 PM
I should add that the only players who wouldn't dream of steroids being eliminated are the players who know they have the natural talent to complete-- which illustrates what a sham a sport based on steroid use is. Steroid use ensures that many of the players you watch don't even have the natural ability to be there. You aren't watching big leaguers, you're watching AA with a butt injection.

byergo
11-19-2007, 03:05 PM
This issue will be very complicated in the future as human beings master gene therapy/gene selection.

Once we figure out out to order a-la-carte the genetic "stuff" that makes athletes so magical we will have problems.

I'd like to order a son with Shaq's size, Jordans vertical, Bo speed and explosiveness, and Barry's elusiveness.

bigtruck260
11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
My OPINION:

Plastic surgery was revolutionary and controversial at one point too. What if steroids one day are discovered to prolong human life for 20 years or more? What if those who do not take steroids are someday the minority?

I just think that there is a chance that the future will be kinder to these athletes. If they did not care about their careers, they never would have taken them in the first place. In order to maximize the effects of steroids, you have to work, to conditiion yourself.

MAYBE in 30 years, this era will be looked back upon my the medical profession and laughed at. The millionaires who can afford these treatments might just be ahead of the game, and were brave enough to be the first to test them out - like a clinical trial.

I will be watching the post-career health of these individuals. So far, Canseco looks like a 25 year old and aside from some probable 'nad shrinkage...hedoesn't seem to have the ill-effects often described.

Again, these are all "maybes" and I do not condone steroid use, as it is illegal and banned my most sporting organizations. I am just being a devil's advocate...it is a very interesting subject.

Dave

David
11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
The question is at what point do you no longer give the Gold Medal to the athlete but the doctor? They give the Nobel Prize for Medicine to the scientist not the patient.

panthrotc
11-20-2007, 01:51 PM
since i was a fan of Big Mac since 1987 , i prefer chemically enhanced.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/panthrotc/beachandgamer014.jpg

panthrotc
11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/panthrotc/mAcautosinFL2004.jpg

Game Model A's Bat on Top
Game USED A's Bat On Bottom

previous post was
00' Signed Gamer
98 Unsigned Gamer

bigtruck260
11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I must admit I agree...

I was at almost every home game in the summer of '98. Busch Stadium was NEVER that electric. McGwire had everyone in STL interested in the American Pastime. People who HATED baseball were on the bandwagon.
I saw McGwire hit at least 30 homers that summer...many to places that had never been hit before (Upper facade in center, UD in left center).
From the day we got Mac in a Cards uniform, myself and the ballplayers I knew had suspicions of steroid use with him. WE DID NOT CARE. He was a freak, so what? He was hitting balls like that as a rookie...I never thought steroids made Mac a better hitter...they shortened his career if anything.

Dave