PDA

View Full Version : Recent Ortiz Bat Pickup

Rob L
11-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Hi All,

Just picked this 2006 Ortiz bat a couple of weeks ago. It has an LOA signed by John Taube on 15 May 2006, indicating that this bat was likely used sometime between March (WBC) and April 2006. I thought I might have a possible photomatch from late April 2006 but it is too hard to tell. Anyone think they can find this one?

Take care,

Rob L

gameused
11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Rob,

Post some pics of the entire length of the bat, handle area and top of the bat and I'll see if i can come up with anything.

Bobby

Rob L
11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Bobby,

Here are more photos of the handle and top.

Thanks,

Rob L

Rob L
11-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Last couple of photos. Let me know if you need more.

Rob L

Rob L
11-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Bobby,

Can you find any additional pictures, beyond Getty, from the game on May 1st, 2006. There is a ball mark and an area that is illuminated by the Rawlins label that is in the same place as the some of the pinetar but I can't make it out for sure. What do you think?

Rob L

gameused
11-22-2007, 01:27 AM
Rob,

I have one David Ortiz photo saved on my computer from a HR hit on 5-1-06 vs Yankees. I also posted one from a Dominican vs Italy WBC game on 3-9-06 that shows the bat knob that looks similar to your 34 written on your bat. I cant tell for sure if its the same as your bat, looks like the same style of writing as yours.

Bobby

Rob L
11-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Bobby,

You think these are even close or am I high.:D

David
11-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Photo match. They share the same red circles.

Vintagedeputy
11-28-2007, 07:08 AM
Photo match. They share the same red circles.

I think that the red circles in the game photo are not the same distance apart as the red circles in your bat photo. Could just be a "red circle" style match. :)

Seriously, nice bat, even though I'm anti-Sox

Jim

David
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Putting aside my attempt at levity, I agree that the marks you circle are very similar.

Rob L
11-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Who knows. It's the best match I could find. But I agree, the circles enhance the match:D

Rob L

David
11-29-2007, 03:56 PM
The marks are at the same spots on the bat, and I wonder what are the chances marks would appear on a different Ortiz bat-- pretty low I'd think.

fenwaysbest
11-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the forum as well as to the collecting game. I had a friend give me my first piece not too long ago, and I know nothing about it, hoping someone can help.
I have a Manny bat from 2003 that I would like to know more about. It has his older MR24 Hologram on it and the COA, and is signed with a full signature as well as the inscription "2003 G/U". It has ball marks, stitch marks and some pine tar on the handle. It is a black Louisville Slugger and is has no tape on the knob or handle. It came from his charity website a few years back and was bought through ASI at the time. I have heard that some of these are less than authentic. Can anyone shed some light on it for me?
Thanks

Jeremy

Vintagedeputy
11-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone,

I had a friend give me my first piece not too long ago, and I know nothing about it, hoping someone can help.

I was staring to worry that this question was going somewhere completely different.......:)

Welcome to the forum!

Jim

gameused
11-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey everyone,

I am brand new to the forum as well as to the collecting game. I had a friend give me my first piece not too long ago, and I know nothing about it, hoping someone can help.
I have a Manny bat from 2003 that I would like to know more about. It has his older MR24 Hologram on it and the COA, and is signed with a full signature as well as the inscription "2003 G/U". It has ball marks, stitch marks and some pine tar on the handle. It is a black Louisville Slugger and is has no tape on the knob or handle. It came from his charity website a few years back and was bought through ASI at the time. I have heard that some of these are less than authentic. Can anyone shed some light on it for me?
Thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum!

The Manny bat your talking about, I've seen several for sale the past few years. The auto on the bats appear to be legit, but the game use I question, the ones I've seen for sale exhibit very light use and pine tar. Being a Manny collector the one thing I can say is that Manny bats are usually pounded with seam/ball marks and have quite of bit of pine tar loaded on the centerbrand and upper handle area, the seam/ball marks are usually concentrated just above his name or on the left hitting area of the barrel. Also Manny likes to tap his bat a few times on homeplate before the pitch is thrown so the top area of the bat just above his name should be worn down. These bats from his charity may have been used in BP.

If you can, post some pics of the bat.

Thanks, Bobby

Rob L
11-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Bobby,

How goes it? Is there any credence to possible match of the Ortiz bat?

Take care,

Rob L

fenwaysbest
11-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks. I would post pics but it is not here with me at the time. It does have good use on the back side of the barrel and has dirt/worn marks on the top of the cup where he would be tapping the bat at home plate? Given all of that, does it have much value?

gameused
11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey Bobby,

How goes it? Is there any credence to possible match of the Ortiz bat?

Take care,

Rob L

Rob,

Its possible that its the bat in the photo, but I cant say for sure.

Bobby