PDA

View Full Version : Merton Hanks Game Used Helmet

toddhead
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
I If I am trying to confirm a NFL helmet is game used what are the basic questions I need to ask this seller?

El Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110191615728&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

mvandor
11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Guy has virtually no history, has no provenance and is evasive on the questions as to provenance ("traded with another Pro Bowler at Pro Bowl - ok, how did the seller get it?), and if I understand correctly, a true 49er decal wouldn't have a clear adge around it as this one does, but would be cut at the black color edge of the oval.

Oh, and bidding has ended with zero bidders.

toddhead
11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks... I know it is over, but I guess I'm really just trying to learn what I should ask when questioning a GU helmet.

otismalibu
11-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I never noticed his helmet...

just his 3 foot long neck.

DrJ
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
I have specialized in NFL helmets for 13 years and have two 49er helmets of this style in my collection and they should have the clear border around the logos. The old style logo did not. From the picture displayed, the helmet looks good - but I think the price is the reason you didn't see any bidding.

mvandor
11-22-2007, 09:54 AM
I did find an image from 1997 on Getty - the last year he played in the Pro Bowl - and there does appear to be matching tape on the facemask consistent with the helmet in the listing. But a DB non- HOFer's helmet likely won't value out at $800.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/274196.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED4365049F3F16FF8B

DrJ
11-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Good picture mvandor. And here's a random picture (not Hanks) I found that will show the clear border around the logo and center stripe.

toddhead
11-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Thank you for the help. What do you think a fair price for the helmet would be? I know he was good, not great, but he was/is a very popular 49er.

aeneas01
11-23-2007, 10:52 PM
at the very least a prospective buyer should ask the seller to confirm the manufacturer's date code found on the inside of the helmet shell, located near the front-center crown area. if the date is later than 02-98 it would be clear that hanks could not have worn it in the pro bowl or super bowl given that 1997 was his last pro bowl year and 1994 was the last year he played in the super bowl. and if it's dated after 02-99 then it could not have belonged to hanks when he played for the niners. asking the seller for numbers/letters appearing on the facemask clips and facemask is also a pretty good idea.

one thing is for sure, the helmet that the ebayer is offering is clearly not a riddell vsr4 model; it's an older riddell model (most likely a riddell wd, riddell vsr3 or even a riddell af2 model) which means it's at least consistent with what hanks wore, i.e., hanks wore an older riddell model and not a vsr4. like brett favre, it appears that hanks opted not to switch to the newer vsr4 model and continued to wear the older riddell model throughtout his 49er career even though most of the league made the switch.

btw, did you notice that the seller got his provenance stories somewhat mixed up when he responded to two questions posed by ebayers? in one response he stated that the helmet was "traded" at the pro bowl and in his other response he stated that it was "traded" at the super bowl. probably an innocent mistake...

yes this was worn by merton hanks. during the pro bowl. and was traded with another nfl star at the game.

this great 1 of was traded at the super bowl with another great nfl star. good luck and happy bidding. i am trying to add more pics.