PDA

View Full Version : Mastro Ripken Jersey-a10?

hblakewolf
11-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Current offering in the upcoming Mastro auction: 1998 game worn Ripken All Star road jersey.

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=77732&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=1#photographs

2 issues:
1. I've seen plenty of 1998 Ripken gamers, however, this particualr jersey is void of the usual "EXTRA LENGTH" tagging.

2. Graded A-10, however, what allows it to be graded as a "perfect" Ripken example? Is there some sort of LOA from MLB that is not included in the description?

Any insight is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Canseco44
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
When it says Ripkens name is in script to the left of the buttons, but not in his hand, what is that saying. Does that mean he is not the one who signed his name on this game used jersey?

Todd

allstarsplus
11-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Howard - It would be great to see MEARs grading sheet. There better be some great backup to get it from an A5 to an A10.

Graded A-10 by MEARS. LOA from Dave Bushing & Troy Kinunen/MEARS.

Andrew

hblakewolf
11-21-2007, 06:36 AM
I received the following email from Troy at MEARS regarding this post and the shirt in question:

"Velcro applied between the 1st and 2nd button underneath the factory applied team Orioles lettering. 33" torso measurement consistent with Ripken's 6'4" frame and documented examples (torso measurements compiled by MEARS database). Hand Signed letter of provenance from B.A.T. executive director, James J. Martin. "

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtime59
11-22-2007, 10:24 AM
A couple of observations:
I'm not sure that the Orioles introduced that lettering style until after the All-Star game in 1998. In fact, the more I look at it, the jersey looks like a 1999 with a 1998 bird. Also, the nameplate looks off.
Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a couple of remodeling projects here, and the only way I can get to my 1998 Orioles jerseys is with a shovel(!), so I cannot provide photo documentation for at least a couple of weeks.

Has anyone been able to dig up any photos of Ripken in the 1998 All-Star game?

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

ironmanfan
11-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I have the game on Video Tape, but here is what I could find from Getty..

bigtime59
11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
It's hard to tell from the All-Star game photos, but if you expand your Getty Images search by a couple of days from the All-Star game there are clearly photos of Ripken wearing the early-1998 pattern Orioles script on his road jersey on July 4, and still wearing it in the last available 1998 road jersey photo on July 19.
So, the more I look at it, the more I return to my original conclusion: it's a 1999 blank road jersey that somebody with an All-Star patch and a 1998 bird decided to roll back the odometer on and convert to a fake 1998 Ripken.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

ironmanfan
11-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Sometime during this weekend, I'll pull out my tape of this game & it should be easy to attempt to "video match" the NOB & bird on sleeve.

hblakewolf
11-22-2007, 04:13 PM
It's hard to tell from the All-Star game photos, but if you expand your Getty Images search by a couple of days from the All-Star game there are clearly photos of Ripken wearing the early-1998 pattern Orioles script on his road jersey on July 4, and still wearing it in the last available 1998 road jersey photo on July 19.
So, the more I look at it, the more I return to my original conclusion: it's a 1999 blank road jersey that somebody with an All-Star patch and a 1998 bird decided to roll back the odometer on and convert to a fake 1998 Ripken.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Mark-
How do you explain the LOA from MLB? Fake LOA? Copy fgrom the orignal LOA and someone switched the jerseys?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kilroy20
11-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I was wondering from what I have seen players do these day, how many different jerseys did Cal wear during that game? Change every inning? I know he has done that before.

hblakewolf
11-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I was wondering from what I have seen players do these day, how many different jerseys did Cal wear during that game? Change every inning? I know he has done that before.

What proof or evidence to you have to support this statement?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kilroy20
11-22-2007, 04:44 PM
The day he broke Lou Gehrig's record, he switched jerseys during the game. If you have a recording of the game from ESPN you will see this happen.

bigtime59
11-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Mark-
How do you explain the LOA from MLB? Fake LOA? Copy fgrom the orignal LOA and someone switched the jerseys?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard:
Just re-read the description twice, and see no indication of an MLB LOA, just the one from MEARS. All I know is that the jersey does not look right to me, for the reasons I've stated previously.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

hblakewolf
11-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Howard:
Just re-read the description twice, and see no indication of an MLB LOA, just the one from MEARS. All I know is that the jersey does not look right to me, for the reasons I've stated previously.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Mark-
See my previous post on this, #4. Troy at MEARS emailed me with the additional information about the shirt having the LOA from MLB. Possibly one of us can have MEARS or Mastro forward a copy of this LOA for further inspection.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

allstarsplus
11-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I received the following email from Troy at MEARS regarding this post and the shirt in question:

"Velcro applied between the 1st and 2nd button underneath the factory applied team Orioles lettering. 33" torso measurement consistent with Ripken's 6'4" frame and documented examples (torso measurements compiled by MEARS database). Hand Signed letter of provenance from B.A.T. executive director, James J. Martin. "

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard - I see your mention of Hand Signed letter of provenance from B.A.T. executive director, James J. Martin. "
but no mention from Troy of MLB LOA.

Andrew

ironmanfan
11-23-2007, 11:04 AM
OK, I have just watched the '98 AS Game thru the 4th inning (watched Cal during player introductions, three at bats & several defensive plays) & I have to say that the Mastro/MEARS shirt matches exactly. As BigTime was, I was concerned with the front "Orioles" script, but it matches exactly including the height of the dotted "i" & the low positioning of the AS Patch. The bird on the sleeve is the ornate one..I specificially looked for the tight cropping of the NOB nameplate (particularly on the left) and it does match. As an aside, I do recall for a couple years that one of the auction houses did auction the AS Game jerseys for the benefit of BAT...

bigtime59
11-24-2007, 10:25 PM
OK, I have just watched the '98 AS Game thru the 4th inning (watched Cal during player introductions, three at bats & several defensive plays) & I have to say that the Mastro/MEARS shirt matches exactly. As BigTime was, I was concerned with the front "Orioles" script, but it matches exactly including the height of the dotted "i" & the low positioning of the AS Patch. The bird on the sleeve is the ornate one..I specificially looked for the tight cropping of the NOB nameplate (particularly on the left) and it does match. As an aside, I do recall for a couple years that one of the auction houses did auction the AS Game jerseys for the benefit of BAT...

I know that Tony Batista turned up at an All-Star game in an Orioles road jersey that neck and placket piping...when they weren't wearing neck and placket piping...but I still can't believe that Cal would turn up in a 1999 script-style jersey in 1998, when I can find no evidence of him wearing even the 1998 low-i jersey. Any chance of a screen grab...particularly from the player introductions? Actually, I'd love to see the video. Do you have it on DVD?
(I'm going to have to get my shovel out, aren't I?)

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

ironmanfan
11-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Mark, I'd be happy to mail you the VHS tape (trusting of course that you'd return it....just teasing). The ironic things is that both Roberto Alomar (game MVP) and Rafael Palmiero wore the standard font jersey (with the "high i").

Let me know if you want to borrow the tape.

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

bigtime59
11-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Mark, I'd be happy to mail you the VHS tape (trusting of course that you'd return it....just teasing). The ironic things is that both Roberto Alomar (game MVP) and Rafael Palmiero wore the standard font jersey (with the "high i").

Let me know if you want to borrow the tape.

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

Bill:
Lack of a VCR in the house prevents me from taking you up on your offer. Is this the game where Alomar wore an orange billed cap, while Ripken and Palmeiro wore the all-black?
If you could shoot a digital picture of the introductions and post it, that would be great.
Thanks,
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

bigtime59
11-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Bump:
Bill, any luck w/ shooting digital pix from the videotape?
Mark

ironmanfan
11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Mark....No go..Our Digital was busted over the holiday weekend & I'm unable to take a picture of a frozen TV screen at this time.

suave1477
11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Howard I agree with Bigtime on this, there is no indication of an LOA from MLB, you did say however an LOA from B.A.T. which is not MLB. B.A.T. is a seperate organization.

hblakewolf
11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Howard I agree with Bigtime on this, there is no indication of an LOA from MLB, you did say however an LOA from B.A.T. which is not MLB. B.A.T. is a seperate organization.

Suave-

Although B.A.T. is associated with MLB, you are correct. The LOA is from B.A.T. Ror those not familiar, please see the following about B.A.T.:

The History of B.A.T.

The Baseball Assistance Team was formed in 1986, primarily by a group of former Major League Baseball players to help members of the baseball "family" who have come on hard times and are in need of assistance.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/community/ph_com_bat200.gif
B.A.T. recognizes that the lives of our heroes continue after their active careers end. For some, particularly those who played before the days of escalating salaries and generous pension plans, events and circumstances can become difficult and trying when the cheering ends.
The assistance provided takes many forms. Health care, financial grants, rehabilitative counseling or whatever form is required to attain some type of comfort and dignity for former players and their families with demonstrated needs.
B.A.T. is a 501 c(3) organization. As from the very beginning, all donations received by B.A.T. go directly to helping people. Donations can be made to: Baseball Assistance Team
245 Park Avenue, 31st floor
New York, NY 10167
Toll Free: 866-605-4594

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

cohibasmoker
12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Suave-

Although B.A.T. is associated with MLB, you are correct. The LOA is from B.A.T. Ror those not familiar, please see the following about B.A.T.:

The History of B.A.T.

The Baseball Assistance Team was formed in 1986, primarily by a group of former Major League Baseball players to help members of the baseball "family" who have come on hard times and are in need of assistance.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/images/community/ph_com_bat200.gif
B.A.T. recognizes that the lives of our heroes continue after their active careers end. For some, particularly those who played before the days of escalating salaries and generous pension plans, events and circumstances can become difficult and trying when the cheering ends.
The assistance provided takes many forms. Health care, financial grants, rehabilitative counseling or whatever form is required to attain some type of comfort and dignity for former players and their families with demonstrated needs.
B.A.T. is a 501 c(3) organization. As from the very beginning, all donations received by B.A.T. go directly to helping people. Donations can be made to: Baseball Assistance Team
245 Park Avenue, 31st floor
New York, NY 10167
Toll Free: 866-605-4594

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard, I seem to remember that back in the day, BATS did offer All-Star game jerseys. I think the gamers went to MLB while each player signed 3 authentic replica jerseys for BATS.

Jim

mr.miracle
12-08-2007, 12:18 PM
The last post by Jim on this issue is what had me concerned about this jersey from day 1. Given the fact that we know that authentic Ripken game worn jersey's are about as difficult to obtain as the crown jewels of england, the fact that this jersey is reported to be an all-star gamer makes it even more difficult to believe that this jersey was actually ever worn in the all-star game itself. The jersey shows little or no wear which would be consistent with an all-star gamer. I am wondering if this was game issued as we know that several uniforms were prepped for all-star games per player and this may be one of the issued jersey's. I find it extremely difficult to believe that Cal would have given one of his game used all-star jersey's away in light of the fact that as Ironmanfan has pointed out on countless occassions on this forum, we have never eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, seen any Ripken game used bats from the all-star game with the operative word showing game use. I too would be curious how exactly MEARS arrived at the A10 grade stating that this is in fact a game used jersey rather than game issued. Has anyone actually seen the workup sheet from MEARS on the jersey that indictes the signs of actual game use?

Thanks