X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hblakewolf
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Mastro Ripken Jersey-a10?

Current offering in the upcoming Mastro auction: 1998 game worn Ripken All Star road jersey.

2 issues:
    1. I've seen plenty of 1998 Ripken gamers, however, this particualr jersey is void of the usual "EXTRA LENGTH" tagging.

2. Graded A-10, however, what allows it to be graded as a "perfect" Ripken example? Is there some sort of LOA from MLB that is not included in the description?

Any insight is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
  • Canseco44
    • Dec 2006

Re: Mastro Ripken Jersey-a10?

When it says Ripkens name is in script to the left of the buttons, but not in his hand, what is that saying. Does that mean he is not the one who signed his name on this game used jersey?

Todd
    Todd Ricks
    www.freewebs.com/canseco44
    Always looking for Canseco Game Used Items
    Spideyman79@yahoo.com

Comment

• allstarsplus
      • Nov 2005

Howard - It would be great to see MEARs grading sheet. There better be some great backup to get it from an A5 to an A10.

Graded A-10 by MEARS. LOA from Dave Bushing & Troy Kinunen/MEARS.

Andrew
      Regards,
      Andrew Lang
      AllstarsPlus@aol.com
      202-716-8500

Comment

• hblakewolf
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

I received the following email from Troy at MEARS regarding this post and the shirt in question:

"Velcro applied between the 1st and 2nd button underneath the factory applied team Orioles lettering. 33" torso measurement consistent with Ripken's 6'4" frame and documented examples (torso measurements compiled by MEARS database). Hand Signed letter of provenance from B.A.T. executive director, James J. Martin. "

Howard Wolf
        hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• bigtime59
          • Nov 2005

A couple of observations:
          I'm not sure that the Orioles introduced that lettering style until after the All-Star game in 1998. In fact, the more I look at it, the jersey looks like a 1999 with a 1998 bird. Also, the nameplate looks off.
          Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a couple of remodeling projects here, and the only way I can get to my 1998 Orioles jerseys is with a shovel(!), so I cannot provide photo documentation for at least a couple of weeks.

Has anyone been able to dig up any photos of Ripken in the 1998 All-Star game?

Mark
          bigtime39@aol.com
          Mark
          msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• ironmanfan
            • Sep 2005

I have the game on Video Tape, but here is what I could find from Getty..
            Attached Files

Comment

• bigtime59
              • Nov 2005

It's hard to tell from the All-Star game photos, but if you expand your Getty Images search by a couple of days from the All-Star game there are clearly photos of Ripken wearing the early-1998 pattern Orioles script on his road jersey on July 4, and still wearing it in the last available 1998 road jersey photo on July 19.
              So, the more I look at it, the more I return to my original conclusion: it's a 1999 blank road jersey that somebody with an All-Star patch and a 1998 bird decided to roll back the odometer on and convert to a fake 1998 Ripken.

Mark
              bigtime39@aol.com
              Mark
              msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• ironmanfan
                • Sep 2005

Sometime during this weekend, I'll pull out my tape of this game & it should be easy to attempt to "video match" the NOB & bird on sleeve.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bigtime59
                  It's hard to tell from the All-Star game photos, but if you expand your Getty Images search by a couple of days from the All-Star game there are clearly photos of Ripken wearing the early-1998 pattern Orioles script on his road jersey on July 4, and still wearing it in the last available 1998 road jersey photo on July 19.
                  So, the more I look at it, the more I return to my original conclusion: it's a 1999 blank road jersey that somebody with an All-Star patch and a 1998 bird decided to roll back the odometer on and convert to a fake 1998 Ripken.

Mark
                  bigtime39@aol.com
                  Mark-
                  How do you explain the LOA from MLB? Fake LOA? Copy fgrom the orignal LOA and someone switched the jerseys?

Howard Wolf
                  hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• kilroy20
                    • Nov 2006

I was wondering from what I have seen players do these day, how many different jerseys did Cal wear during that game? Change every inning? I know he has done that before.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by kilroy20
                      I was wondering from what I have seen players do these day, how many different jerseys did Cal wear during that game? Change every inning? I know he has done that before.
                      What proof or evidence to you have to support this statement?

Howard Wolf
                      hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• kilroy20
                        • Nov 2006

The day he broke Lou Gehrig's record, he switched jerseys during the game. If you have a recording of the game from ESPN you will see this happen.

Comment

• bigtime59
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                          Mark-
                          How do you explain the LOA from MLB? Fake LOA? Copy fgrom the orignal LOA and someone switched the jerseys?

Howard Wolf
                          hblakewolf@patmedia.net
                          Howard:
                          Just re-read the description twice, and see no indication of an MLB LOA, just the one from MEARS. All I know is that the jersey does not look right to me, for the reasons I've stated previously.

Mark
                          bigtime39@aol.com
                          Mark
                          msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• hblakewolf
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bigtime59
                            Howard:
                            Just re-read the description twice, and see no indication of an MLB LOA, just the one from MEARS. All I know is that the jersey does not look right to me, for the reasons I've stated previously.

Mark
                            bigtime39@aol.com
                            Mark-
                            See my previous post on this, #4. Troy at MEARS emailed me with the additional information about the shirt having the LOA from MLB. Possibly one of us can have MEARS or Mastro forward a copy of this LOA for further inspection.

Howard Wolf
                            hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• allstarsplus
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by hblakewolf
                              I received the following email from Troy at MEARS regarding this post and the shirt in question:

"Velcro applied between the 1st and 2nd button underneath the factory applied team Orioles lettering. 33" torso measurement consistent with Ripken's 6'4" frame and documented examples (torso measurements compiled by MEARS database). Hand Signed letter of provenance from B.A.T. executive director, James J. Martin. "

Howard Wolf
                              hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard - I see your mention of Hand Signed letter of provenance from B.A.T. executive director, James J. Martin. "
                              but no mention from Troy of MLB LOA.

Andrew
                              Regards,
                              Andrew Lang
                              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                              202-716-8500

Comment

Working...