PDA

View Full Version : Rick Anderson 86 jersey

Swoboda4
11-22-2007, 02:30 AM
I know David(Metsbats) collects Rick Anderson Mets G/U items. I don't think he is the seller for this item. Interesting to note that the 86 playoff strip tag is removed from this jersey.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rick-Anderson-1986-New-York-Mets-Game-Used-Jersey_W0QQitemZ330191436156QQihZ014QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://i14.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/c6/47/b227_1.JPG

metsbats
11-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Yes I'm not the seller of this jersey. I do have Rick Anderson's playoff pre-game blue road jersey which i've posted here on the forum and the location of the missing tag on this 86 road is the same as mine.

The Mets issued brand new jerseys with the special tags during the 86 post season which is why i have the non-playoff version of Rick's 86 road in my collection.

I 'm sure this jersey orginated B&E who were able to get the mother load of 86 home and road, regular season and playoff game used jerseys from 1986.

David

Swoboda4
11-22-2007, 10:53 AM
David,
First Happy Thanksgiving. I didn't know that about B+E, with the 86 jerseys. Could you give any more info on that(when and how they got them)? I don't see any Met employee just after the 86 W.S.,with the smell of champagne throughout the clubhouse taking off the playoff strip tag meticulously,before they're given to someone else. I continue to buy from B+E and as much as I believe everything is OK they don't do much to explain where things come from. One other point is ,not B+E but for other owners of this jersey,there is only one reason you take the 86 Playoff tag off a Rick Anderson jersey.
Robert

TNTtoys
11-22-2007, 01:06 PM
My thoughts are that the regular season Rick Anderson road jersey would be worth a lot more than the playoff jersey, simply because HE PLAYED. I am guessing that a previous owner of this jersey (and probably not the current seller, as I don't know how many times this jersey has changed hands in the last 20 years) decided he would try to make the playoff jersey with no game wear into a valuable game worn regular season jersey but didn't know what he was up against when he tried to remove the special playoff tagging.

I personally would stay away from it because it is appears to be a very pricy item that has been altered (badly) and doesn't have any game use. What you guys do is up to you. I suppose the seller is trying to get what he could for it by accepting the best offer... but I don't imagine he would pull in close to the $650 asking price.

Swoboda4
11-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking along the lines that somebody(NOT B+E)-somebody took the 86 playoff tag off the Anderson and attached it to a regular 86 season star player. So look for a star 86 Met player playoff jersey with stitching not consistent with unaltered 86 playoff jerseys.

metsbats
11-22-2007, 10:44 PM
David,
First Happy Thanksgiving. I didn't know that about B+E, with the 86 jerseys. Could you give any more info on that(when and how they got them)? I don't see any Met employee just after the 86 W.S.,with the smell of champagne throughout the clubhouse taking off the playoff strip tag meticulously,before they're given to someone else. I continue to buy from B+E and as much as I believe everything is OK they don't do much to explain where things come from. One other point is ,not B+E but for other owners of this jersey,there is only one reason you take the 86 Playoff tag off a Rick Anderson jersey.
Robert

HI Robert,

Hope your holiday was a good one too.

Several years ago B&E obtain a large number of legit 86 home and road game used jerseys. There were several 86 PO tagged jerseys in the batch however I was not able to get any. I believe Andy Fogel and I brought up most of the jerseys and eventually the left overs made it onto ebay.

I don't really remember this particular jersey being available as it may have been sold already. I do have 1 home and 1 road regular season Anderson in addition to his road blue PO. As Nick indicates Anderson was not on the post season roster and did not play but was with the team during the post season as batting practice pitcher (his reward from the Mets for his contribution to the 86 season during his brief call up during the regular season)

Why the tag is missing or was taken off i cannot begin to speculate.

REgards
David

metsbats
11-22-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm thinking along the lines that somebody(NOT B+E)-somebody took the 86 playoff tag off the Anderson and attached it to a regular 86 season star player. So look for a star 86 Met player playoff jersey with stitching not consistent with unaltered 86 playoff jerseys.

That's is a very plausible theory. Great thinking!

metsbats
11-22-2007, 11:02 PM
My thoughts are that the regular season Rick Anderson road jersey would be worth a lot more than the playoff jersey, simply because HE PLAYED. I am guessing that a previous owner of this jersey (and probably not the current seller, as I don't know how many times this jersey has changed hands in the last 20 years) decided he would try to make the playoff jersey with no game wear into a valuable game worn regular season jersey but didn't know what he was up against when he tried to remove the special playoff tagging.

I personally would stay away from it because it is appears to be a very pricy item that has been altered (badly) and doesn't have any game use. What you guys do is up to you. I suppose the seller is trying to get what he could for it by accepting the best offer... but I don't imagine he would pull in close to the $650 asking price.

I personally would have left the PO jersey on as in my opinion it would be worth more than the regular season jersey even though the player did not play because it was a post season jersey. Prime comparison would be a players unused WS bat. I like Robert's theory that someone may have taken off the PO tag from the Anderson to put it on to a star player jersey.

I agree with you Nick that the missing PO jersey make this jersey very undesirable as it has been altered in a bad way.

Regards
David