PDA

View Full Version : OT Joe Kennedy

bigtruck260
11-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Sorry if this post bothers anyone, and it might be more suited for the auto forum, but that place is kinda dead at the moment.

I am going to quickly vent about something that bothers me with the memorabilia business as a whole. OK, so Joe Kennedy dies this morning...and being totally bored at work, I decided to check out eBay to see how many items were listed with his name and to my suprise, at 3:00, there were only about 60 items.

Now there are about 200 items. Some are listed with RIP, some are listed with today's date, etc.

I understand the buy low/sell high priciple with cards and autographs, etc. But when someone dies at a young age, especially someone that was a common, struggling journeyman pitcher with little or no hobby interest...is it really necessary to dig through your trash cards to find that "rare" Kennedy rookie, then add RIP to the item description referring to him as "Mr. Kennedy"? I guess I am bitter since the Darryl Kile tragedy in 2002 - Maybe I am out of line, but the poor family is suffering right now...and anyone who met the guy with a sharpie is selling his autograph.

I am not saying anyone is bad here, it just bothers me a little. We are kind of in an opportunist hobby - where unfortunatley, incidents like this can help people to "unload and profit". Anyway, the situation is sad, and I was not a fan of Kennedy's, but being around his age with a little boy of my own puts things in perspective - especially during a week when we are supposed to be giving thanks and being thankful.

I am not looking for responses to this post, I just appreciate you guys letting me express my feelings in this very visible and honorable forum.

Dave

whatupyos
11-24-2007, 06:12 AM
Dave,

I appreciate your post and feel its sad too that people will sell things right when a player is dead. Its sick in my opinion.

Aaron

aeneas01
11-24-2007, 07:11 AM
it really is the ugly side of collecting - when bo schembechler passed away last year ebay was absolutely flooded, within minutes, with bo-related items...

Vintagedeputy
11-24-2007, 08:58 AM
I see both sides of the issue, but I really dont think that there's anything wrong with selling it.

How many people still have a Ken Hubbs auto on their want list? Its a thing that some people collect. If you had an auto, the time immediately after the death would be when buyer's would be looking for it, why not offer it for sale? Look at home many bidder's have bid on these items.

Ray Chapman, Darryl Kile, Ken Hubbs, Mike Darr, Cory Lidle, Joe Kennedy et al.......some people want them and some people want to sell them. Its been that way for years.

mdube16
11-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I never have a problem with the amount of items that go for sale immediatly when a player dies. All memorabilia has one purpose really...to feel a connection with that player. When someone dies they have an even stronger want for that connection. If a card or autograph gives that then isnt it a postitive? I dont believe anyone truly thinks a Joe Kennedy autographed baseball is suddenly worth a lot of money. Fans just want that connection.

kellsox
11-24-2007, 09:15 AM
It takes 2 to tango. Along with the influx of listings there is a skyrocket in final sale prices and people searching for items. There wouldn't be a spike in listings if there werent such a demand for the items. I don't have a problem with listing items after a person has passed away as long as it is "tastefully" done.
k

Jays1fan
11-24-2007, 09:16 AM
That certified auto card that was selling for .99 cents is above $15 in most cases. That is the Sick part. But, I understand both sides of it as well.
As a Blue Jays fan ...
They never made a Jays card of him since he was only there a short time this year. So, I will have to wait a while to get one of those Sticker certified autos so that I can take it off the card and put it on a Home Made Jays card.
I do feel sorry for his family and Pray for them.

allstarsplus
11-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Deaths, events, milestones, controversies, will always affect demand.

Take a look at the supply/demand curve with a guy like Barry Bonds.

The capitalizers put his items up for sale right after HRs 755 & 756 and got lots of bids and best prices achieved in years. After his indictment and future in doubt, some of those same items like the signed Bonds jerseys and balls have little activity and much lower prices.

Andrew

bigtruck260
11-24-2007, 12:15 PM
All good points guys, thanks for your comments - and believe me...I understand both sides. Someday, I may change my tune when some of the less desireable players in my collection pass away...

Dave