PDA

View Full Version : Locker Displays

skyking26
11-25-2007, 02:20 AM
I know there have been posts here before regarding displays. I am one of those guys who has been around for 30 years in the hobby with a sports room that is now lacking space. Serious displays issues I cry. My dilemma is several jerseys that are folded up and in a cabinet and I can't "see" them.

It has been suggested that a locker type theme be utilized. I have been thinking about this for days. The wheels are turning. There is an nice item on ebay right now but ridiculously priced. Considering making my own to fill a space left on one wall dedicated to Thome with a locker type case that would have an area for perhaps a glove above, a hanger area that would "hold" up to 3 jerseys with the front being visable at a time, and then a lower area that would show the side of a pair of cleats... a shadow box if you will with a opening plexy glass framed door...

Thoughts and pictures of anything similar - or larger "locker" themes would be appreciated here!!!

Thanks - RK

grandpahoo
11-25-2007, 02:35 AM
Are you a Jets fan by any chance?

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?CategoryNum=10&Lot=788

skyking26
11-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Nope. Just a strong baseball collector who has a nice 18x25 room to myself, but so much stuff that I can't see everything. I enjoy jerseys like the next guy, but display with them is an issue. The shadow box-locker theme is something I am thinking about with regard to Thome as I might have sufficient space to do that. I have several Kingman jerseys that I cannot view as I have 3 single jersey displays and 7 Kong gamers. Thus, may come up with a seperate display in another room if wife lets me. Interested here in photos of what guys have done utilizing the locker-shadowbox theme or a locker theme...

Thanks - RK

skyking26
11-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Those with photos, could you post here and also email them to me at skyking442@hotmail.com?? Basically after the holidays as things simmer down I probably will make something unless somebody can direct me to an item that is not $500 like the nice one on ebay...

As always - thanks, Bob

EndzoneSports
11-25-2007, 06:53 AM
Bob:

Here's another option that you may want to review... See pp. 10-11 at http://www.caseworksintl.com/pdfs/2052048_Caseworks_p9-16.pdf (http://www.caseworksintl.com/pdfs/2052048_Caseworks_p9-16.pdf) for "The Locker Room" from CaseWorks Int'l (see http://www.caseworksintl.com/ (http://www.caseworksintl.com/)). At > $600, this may also fall into the "ridiculously priced" category, but if you have the room, it gives a lot of display flexibility. If it weren't for my having better ways to spend nearly $2K, I'd have three of them for my top-end display pieces.

Best regards,

thomecollector
11-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Those with photos, could you post here and also email them to me at skyking442@hotmail.com?? Basically after the holidays as things simmer down I probably will make something unless somebody can direct me to an item that is not $500 like the nice one on ebay...

As always - thanks, Bob
So is this what you are looking for Bobby? This is one I made awhile back. I'll try to get you a better picture later. :)

skyking26
11-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Yea Rog, that looks like the melamine board we discussed. I made a shelving system for my son last year out of it, would be the easiest to do, just a question of where.

Heading out soon til Mon night with family. Talk later - Send a pic to my email if ya would -

Bob

bigtime59
11-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Nope. Just a strong baseball collector who has a nice 18x25 room to myself, but so much stuff that I can't see everything. I enjoy jerseys like the next guy, but display with them is an issue. The shadow box-locker theme is something I am thinking about with regard to Thome as I might have sufficient space to do that. I have several Kingman jerseys that I cannot view as I have 3 single jersey displays and 7 Kong gamers. Thus, may come up with a seperate display in another room if wife lets me. Interested here in photos of what guys have done utilizing the locker-shadowbox theme or a locker theme...

Thanks - RK

RK:
18 x 25? 18 x 25?? 18 x 25??? You're complaining about 18 x 25?!?
Try living with 9 x 11, baby! :o :( :rolleyes: :eek:
On a more serious note, if you're handy, or have access to someone who is, I would suggest custom building something that meets your desires, rather than trying to force any standard item.
I'm completely remodeling my home office right now, increasing my jersey display capacity from 1 to 3 (!) at at time, plus making a better space for the bobbleheads. When it's done, I'll post photos here.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

skyking26
11-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I would not say complain...just trying to fit everything in and keep the family happy at the same time. Yes, I am handy and have access to everything I need - so will likely do something on my own after the holidays. Still would like pictures as something might pop up that I did not think of...

Thanks - RK

grandpahoo
11-25-2007, 02:40 PM
I live in a rowhouse in downtown Baltimore, so my space is extremely limited. I did find one short term option - I bought a metal display rack that holds approximately 25 jerseys. They're not "displayed," per se, but I like that I can easily look through them whenever I want.

On a related note, despite my limited space, I recently bought an old locker from Memorial Stadium. The thing is freaking HUGE, and there's no way for me to even get it through the door, much less carry it up our spiral staircase (it took four of us just to unload it off the truck), so it will be sitting in our garage for the time being. I may have to have an addition built around the damn thing so I can use it, because it's really, really cool.

skyking26
11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Hoping as this is a new week and people are back from their holiday adventures, that people will send some pictures here of what they are doing.

RK

esquiresports
06-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I had a full jersey and more that I wanted to display, so a basic frame wasn't going to work. A huge thanks to everyone who took the time to share their locker photos. Here is the "locker" I put together. It's to commemorate Tony Gwynn's last game. It has his full jersey and third base from the game, along with a couple game worn caps and sweat bands. A photo from Tony's last game, and some related baseballs were added.

Still room for a bat, cleats and glove! Also still to come, some descriptive place cards.

It would be easy for someone to add a nameplate if desired.

It looks a lot better in person.

I made this so the front plexi can be opened. Hinges on the left and small black velcro attachments on the right. I normally dislike hinges, but they came out okay. The velcro isn't visible because it's black. Two pieces of plexi because I was concerned about warping due to size. I think that was the right call.

I cut the metal part of the hangers so just a straight rod was visible and inverted it because the bottom end is threaded, allowing me to screw them into the top of the "locker."

Light is a wireless, remote control LED from Amazon (comes as a two pack or four pack, I believe). Inexpensive. You could easily go with plug-in puck lights and those might light the display better.

If anyone has any particular questions, feel free to send me a PM and I am happy to respond. I'm no handyman. Skill level to do this is maybe advanced beginner at most.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/GwynnLocker.jpg

Flamechicken
06-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Esquire, great looking display. Where did you get your plexiglass from? How thick is it?

Thanks,
Mike

esquiresports
06-28-2012, 08:10 PM
I got the plexiglass at Lowes. I was going to use Home Depot but they didn't have a plexi cutter onsite and I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up myself. One 36 x 72 sheet cut down to size worked. It's only 0.2 inches thick or so. Cost about $50. There is a much thicker option for $100, but it was extremely heavy and I was concerned about whether it would hold. In person, the plexi does not look cheap or like it should be thicker.