PDA

View Full Version : Game Worn Getaways

ahuff
11-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Each winter my family, and I, head up to the Twin Cities to take part in Twins Fest. We just love the family atmosphere, entertainment, games for my son, and all around good time. The first time I went, was probably 7 years ago. It was a great time, crowds weren't real bad and there were tons of game worn items. It seems now there is getting to be fewer game jerseys and the crowds are huge. Not to mention, prices of game jerseys have skyrocketed ($50 the first year for all jerseys - and now they are priced according to the player with stars hardly even found). Just wondering if you guys know if any other teams offer similar events that have tons of game used items available.?

Thanks.

bigtruck260
11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
The Cardinals Winter Warm up in January is similar. It gets enough press...

After the closure of Busch Stadium (05 season), the Cardinals dismantled the entire building and put everything on sale at "Fredbird's Garage Sale". I begged my wife to let me go, as they were advertising TONS of GU stuff and various parts of my childhood sanctuary.

After waiting in line for 3 hours, I was treated to the most gluttonous display of greed I have ever seen. There were jerseys and hats ($300 minimum for the jerseys), baseballs, seatbacks and crap from EVERY GAME...there were the flags atop the stadium (I swore they flew new flags for every game in '05) - seat guides and markers that adorned the hallways...

a 4" by 4" NO SMOKING sign was listed at $150. The checkout line was constantly 25-20 deep...and after 30 minutes, I left very disappointed and empty handed. Not that there was not some great stuff - there was. I was in no mood to stand in line to procure it for my collection.

That is the WORST STL had available for collectors - now for the best:

If you live in the STL area, or are within driving distance, make a trip out to the Winter Warmup here. It is a great time, really. Look me up and we can have a Pepsi or two.

Dave

Billyu40
11-26-2007, 10:37 PM
bigtruck260

When is the Winter Warm Up? I live in Cape Girardeau and I have planned on going to it for years but I never make it.

ahuff
11-27-2007, 08:12 AM
I was actually in St. Louis during that sale visiting some in-laws. That sale was unbelievable. I think some of us touched on that in a post right after that. Here is the link.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=210&highlight=fredbird

bigtruck260
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
bigtruck260

When is the Winter Warm Up? I live in Cape Girardeau and I have planned on going to it for years but I never make it.

It is usually at the Millenium Hotel (Formerly the famous Clarion) on the STL Riverfront. Tickets are on sale at the Cards website and are $40. not bad for the experience....

Dave

skyking26
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
You guys are reminding me of the Tigers recent dismantling of Tiger Stadium. They held an online auction and sale in October. A buddy of mine received his blue seats not numbered in correct sequence with the wrong armrests stuck on them!! Signage went for big bucks. I myself placed an order for a pair of seats and never received them but got the bill over the weekend. I will be placing mine up for dispute. I know some of you guys think that your teams have a screwball system - but it would be hard pressed to do a worse job than our Tigers do!!!

RK

ivo610
12-27-2009, 10:44 PM
not MLB but the Packers have a tent sale every year that has grown in the past decade to draw people in state wide and sometimes beyond. Mostly game worn and unused shoes, shirts, pants, a few jerseys, cleats, travel bags, and winter sideline coats. The practice shorts are extremely well priced, like $4 each. Some stuff can reach high prices but its pretty limited.

sox83cubs84
12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I like the sale at SoxFest. Lots of stuff, stars available for sale (priced accordingly), and lines, after Friday, aren't usually too long. The Cubs only sell the coaches and nobodies at their event; if you're even a .230 hitter in the starting lineup or a rotation pitcher who's 8-12 with a 5.22 ERA, chances are strong that your stuff gets auctioned instead. Of course, that's also the only way to get items of Soriano, Lee, Ramirez, Zambrano, etc.

Dave M.
Chicago area

platinum1
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
I like the sale at SoxFest. Lots of stuff, stars available for sale (priced accordingly), and lines, after Friday, aren't usually too long. The Cubs only sell the coaches and nobodies at their event; if you're even a .230 hitter in the starting lineup or a rotation pitcher who's 8-12 with a 5.22 ERA, chances are strong that your stuff gets auctioned instead. Of course, that's also the only way to get items of Soriano, Lee, Ramirez, Zambrano, etc.

Dave M.
Chicago area
I agree you can always get your favorite Sox player jersey for a good price at SoxFest. But if you think your going to get a good price at the Cubs Convention. You have a better chance winning the Lotto.