PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel's Johnny Bench helmet

skipcareyisfat
11-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Grey Flannel is currently offering a "game used" Johnny Bench helmet: http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/showdetail.cfm?Lot=206&Search=helmet

I actually had a chance to look at this one in person a few months ago. There were three things then that struck me as being odd about it. First, the brim has a white numeral "5". I don't recall the Reds ever using white numerals anywhere on their helmets. Until the late 90s, I was under the impression that they strictly used dyno taped names (if they used anything), and these were typically applied to the rear of the helmets. The Bench helmet did not have Bench's name dyno taped to the back, nor were there any remnants of this identifier. I emailed Dave Grob and he confirmed that the Reds did not use white numerals.

Second, the interior padding is (or was when I saw it) much different that what you normally see in helmets from Bench's era. The padding on the Bench helmet looked to be a lower grade, in fact; similar to the kind found in the flapless MLB models that were sold in some sporting goods stores in the early 90s.

Last, the ABC logo on the back was applied via a square sticker, rather than being embossed. I have never seen a pre-1984 ABC helmet with anything but an embossed logo. I'm almost certain that the stickered logos didn't appear until well after Bench's last season (1983); probably around 1990. See this thread for more on that: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=10219&highlight=helmet

This helmet's taken an interesting road since I last saw it. After being rejected by other houses, word is American Memorabilia was going to auction it, but Lampson actually ended up rejecting it ... not because of the white numeral or the stickered ABC logo or the cheap padding, but because the size was wrong. (BTW, it didn't have a size sticker when I saw it.) The funny thing is, I'm almost 100% certain that Bricol Sports sold this a year or so ago. I don't know when Lou started "authenticating" for Bricol, but I'm guessing it wasn't until after this was sold. Anyway, I figured we'd see it again, and here it is.

The attached photos are the ones that were sent to me by Grey Flannel. On the one, you can clearly see that the ABC logo is on a sticker. Further, GF confirmed that the logo is on a sticker. I contacted them about this a couple of weeks ago. To their credit, they responded and said they would look into it. However, I have yet to hear back and it's still up for bid. With only about a week remaining, I figured I'd share these thoughts with everyone.

RobSteinmetz
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the work you put into this. Great job presenting your research.

Best,

Rob

33bird
11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Plus, I believe it's the wrong size. Bench had a pretty big head. I can't remember the exact size, but I know someone who exclusively collects the Reds, and he called the Reds Museum, who had a Bench helmet on display, and checked the size, before he bought one. It was big. I'll find the size and post it later this evening. I know for a fact though, that it was much bigger than a size 7 1/8.
Greg

33bird
11-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Yep, the Bench helmet in the Reds museum was a 7 5/8. Quite a bit bigger than GF's 7 1/8. I'd stay far away.
Greg

skipcareyisfat
11-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for checking on that, Greg. Also, I apparently had a lapse in memory when I said it didn't have the size sticker when I saw it. My fault.

Anyway, Grey Flannel has added a copy of the SCDA LOA signed by Troy K. and Dave Bushing to the listing. I saw this LOA too l when I looked at the helmet back in August. So I emailed Troy on 8/13 and addressed the same issues I brought up here to him. In all sincerity and for the sake of my own education, I wanted to know from him if he and Dave relied on any kind of photo evidence when they wrote the letter.

Here was his reply on 8/13:
"I spoke with Dave Bushing. The LOO was written as somewhat vague as we only verified it as a Reds game used helmet attributed to Johnny Bench. The timeframe of the attribution was not established. I think you have done a good job addressing what should be present on a helmet from his playing career. The helmet was done very early in our existence and today we would have been able to provide more exemplar references."

Troy asked to see the SCDA LOA in a later email but I didn't have it. After GF posted it, I sent a link to this thread and the GF auction to him. So far, no word back. Considering Dave Grob's above comment and that the ABC logo appears on a sticker, I'm curious as to how MEARS would grade it now.

My feeling is that GF is going to let the helmet ride on the SCDA LOA. So be it. As I said before, I'm almost 100% sure this was the same one that sold for $2,954 in one of Bricol's old auctions. It'll be interesting to see if it gets there again. Happy bidding to all.