PDA

View Full Version : 92/93 Canseco BP jersey

kingjammy24
02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
This auction was brought up in a 'Wanted' thread:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8762716318

It's supposed to be either a 1992 or 1993 Texas Rangers game-worn Canseco BP jersey. The auction doesn't state the year but Canseco
joined the Rangers in 1992 and they underwent a jersey re-design in 1994, so the choices are limited.

At first, this jersey had me interested. Then I noticed something 'curious'. The 'arm stripes' are red and white on grey. I've nver seen a 1992 or 1993 Rangers BP jersey with this color combination for the arm stripes. I've only ever seen them as red and white stripes on blue, not on grey. See below:

http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/1548/rangers7sw.jpg

Anyone? Is it a retail BP jersey? Does anyone have an old sporting goods catalogue that they can look up? Has anyone seen this color combination on these BP jerseys before? Am I colorblind? Is it a camera trick?

thanks,

Rudy.

ahuff
02-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Good photo research:)

Yeah, when I first read the title of the auction, I too was interested. However, those grey stripes just jump off the photo. I don't know what team (or place) that jersey originated from, but I certainly don't feel comfortable bidding on it. I've never seen a gamer with the grey stripes.
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I've never purchased one and I've never seen pictures of one on a player.

bigtime59
02-08-2006, 06:59 AM
I can't address this jersey specifically, as I've never seen it, but I have seen the blue ribbed sleeve ends on some Montreal Expos jerseys that have faded to a shade of gray that looks a lot like this...won't be able to provide photos until the weekend, sorry.

worldchamps
02-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I am the person selling this jersey. I am going to go home tonight and look at it again and see how gray it is, sometimes pictures don't show true colors. To my benefit, all the pictures you posted the area in question is a different shade. The first Canseco and the Nolan Picture show a lighter area than some of the other photos that area appears to not exist.

I can tell you this with confidence. I worked for the Rangers for 5 years. I got this directly from a co-worker who told me this was Canseco's. I know that sometimes team references sometimes get things mixed up. But if anyone can directly tell me this is not Canseco's BP I will plug the auction immediatley. I am a very honest person, and I do not feel that any of your comments have been demeaning, they have all been opinions, but I haven't had anyone give me any facts or reasons to pull it?

I think the website is a great resource, and I find it humorous and helpful when you all "bust" people for doing fradulent things. I however do feel uncomfortable that one of my items is being questioned. For my benefit and anyone who might buy this...if you know 100% this is not what it is, let me know.

I also have some Maverick jerseys I have posted, all of these were purchased directly from the Mavs....I had 2 Scott Brooks jeresys that are tagged with the incorrect year. I am confident these were old blank jerseys that were used 1 year later for him...I could not find any proof that he wore #4, only #1. (I think the number 4 might have been from a press conference???) Either way I decided it would be best to not sell the #4 jersey and throw it in, if the price reaches $200.

All I want to do is be honest........................

kingjammy24
02-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Champs,

As Chris Cavalier mentioned in another thread, "100%" rarely exists in this hobby. The only true "100%" you can have is when you watch a game and a player physically hands you the jersey right afterwards. Everything else is about likelihoods. Therefore, you're never going to have someone on here tell you "100%" that this jersey was or was not worn by Canseco.

Nobody has implied that you're not honest. Your intentions seem good.

All I'm saying is that the style of Rangers BP in your auction doesn't seem to match the style they wore in 1992 or 1993. I stated that the reason it doesn't match is because of the grey trim. Perhaps this is a camera trick. I'm not sure.
I do know that in 1992 and 1993, the Rangers wore BP jerseys which showed red and white stripes on blue backing. That's the sum of what I'm saying. No comments at all about your honesty. If someone can somehow show me that the Rangers also wore BP jerseys in 1992 or 1993 with grey stripes, or that blue can turn to grey on film, then I'd very interested and would most likely even place a bid on the jersey.

At any rate, awhile ago AMI auctioned off a 1992 Canseco BP jersey. Whether it's legit or not, I don't know. What's interesting is that Canseco signed it "#2 BP jersey of 1992". Where did his #1 go? Perhaps you have it? Who knows. The AMI jersey however does not show any grey at all on the sleeves.

http://img420.imageshack.us/img420/2967/can20cd.jpg

Rudy.

worldchamps
02-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Hopefully these pictures will help clear up any uncertainy..(even these pictures don't show the true colors.)

Upon further review of the jersey the stripes are pretty gray, however when I flipped the jersey inside out the color of the stripes is entirely a different color, it is the more blueish purple color, what appears to be the same color of the pictures from Getty images of Nolan and Canseco. There is no doubt in my mind that the color of the stripe is due to wear/washings/and the Texas heat. I have a picture of the sleeve turned inside out and showing the top shoulder (hopefully you can see the difference in colors in this photo). I also have a photo showing the Script of Rangers and how much wear is on this top.

ahuff
02-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I've got to say that looks like it is from wear, to me.

suave1477
02-11-2006, 01:48 AM
Fellas i got to agree on this one it could possibly just be the Real Mcoy. The color change does seem to be from wear and constant sunlight would make that color fade.