PDA

View Full Version : Mattingly M110on EBAY....Beware!!!

JETEFAN
12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Jim may want to comment, in 1986 Mattingly stopped ordering M110's.
M110's ordered during this labeling period (86-89)were ordered as "PROMOTIONAL BATS".
BEWARE!!!

George

JETEFAN
12-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Jim may want to comment, in 1986 Mattingly stopped ordering M110's.
M110's ordered during this labeling period (86-89)were ordered as "PROMOTIONAL BATS".
BEWARE!!!

George

NOT 86-89 no registration mark "r"

DonFan23
12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
The very round zero in the model number is similar to that of the 86-89 BB Promotions orders. I know that I've had legit gamers with both the large rounded zero and the more narrow zero (that looks a bit like the letter O).

I had never considered it before, but would that possibly mean that this was more likely an 85 or in fact a late 85, or is there evidence that the lettering use was haphazard and can't be pinned down as indicating a change-over in the font? Jim, George - any thoughts?

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2007, 01:53 PM
RJ,
My initial thoughts on this bat were pure excitement. I, too, thought it was a 1985and I sent a email to Jim. Jim, too, is unsure based on its looks. Both Jim and I are concerned with the finish. I have not heard back from the seller. Its so hard with the M110's because so many are bad. But, the tar looks good, the weight and length sound good, the game use "sounds" right. I hope the seller emails me back with some info. on how he obtained it, finish, etc.

Mike

nomarmauerfan
12-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Also, if anyone has Yankeeography, and you watch the Don Mattingly hour (my favorite spot on him by the way), you will see footage of him swinging a finished bat in 1984. Don't know if that helps or not. Either this is a great find or a nicely, faked bat.

Mike

Yankwood
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
This is quite a perplexing conundrum we have here. I'm hittin' it for fun......

JETEFAN
12-04-2007, 04:19 PM
The very round zero in the model number is similar to that of the 86-89 BB Promotions orders. I know that I've had legit gamers with both the large rounded zero and the more narrow zero (that looks a bit like the letter O).

I had never considered it before, but would that possibly mean that this was more likely an 85 or in fact a late 85, or is there evidence that the lettering use was haphazard and can't be pinned down as indicating a change-over in the font? Jim, George - any thoughts?

If I'm dishing out the money for an 85, I'm holding out for Foil Stamping......that way there is no question as to 1985 considering the small "125" centerbrand, In my humble opinion this bat does have a finish !

George

Yankwood
12-05-2007, 04:55 AM
Auction was cancelled.

nomarmauerfan
12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Why? Anyone on here make him an offer that he accepted? He never returned my email about the finish and the provenance that he spoke about in the desription, despite saying "I return emails promptly".

Mike

gameusedbat.com
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM
That Mattingly is very very suspect. I would keep my distance but that is my humble opinion.

It may match records but the use and weight definitely concerns me.

Good luck!

Daniel Sweet
info@gameusedbat.com