PDA

View Full Version : O/t Twins Getting Ripped Off

yanks12025
12-04-2007, 05:17 PM
I know this is off topic from game used bats, etc. But it deals with baseball. I know some of you have to follow baseball, yankee fans, twins fans, etc. What do you guys think about the red sox's getting Santana. Do you think its a fair offer, here i'll ask this if you were the twins GM do you take the yank's offer(Melky,Hughes, two minor leaguers or the red sox's offer of(Lester,Coco, two minor leaguers. I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter. I think the red sox's trade is crap and should not even be thought about because its that bad. Thanks

kellsox
12-04-2007, 05:23 PM
According to reports, the Red Sox are now offering 3 highly rated minor league prospects along with Lester and Crisp. If true, the Twins obviosly hold the Sox' prospects( and Lester) in higher regard than the Yankees offer. I don't see how the offer is "crap" if that is what the Twins prefer. If someone else wants Santana, offer players that the Twins want.
Kelly

staindsox
12-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm from Minnesota and actually think the Red Sox offer is far better than the Yankees so far. Just my opinion.

Chris

ahuff
12-04-2007, 05:50 PM
I love following the Twins. Personally, I like Hughes. He has a slightly better K/9 ratio, and is 2 years younger. However, he is coming off of a season of injuries - though so has Lester. I'd give a slight edge to Hughes in this scenario. Though Lester has more of a history to support his value.

As far as Coco/Melky. I'd much rather have Coco than Melky. I'm just not sold on Melk. Really, both offers seem more than reasonable. If the Twinkies are holding out for Cano or Chamberlain, I just don't think it will happen. Or should I say, I believe the Yanks would be idiotic to do such a deal.

brianborsch
12-04-2007, 09:04 PM
The Twins should not trade with the Sox unless Ellsbury is in the deal. Why trade a Cy Young just to obtain Lester and some 3rd rate players (Crisp and Lowrie or whoever that shortstop is).

Go fo the superstar centerfielder who is quick on the bases!

If the Twins want pitching in return, then go for Hughes, Melky and whoever else the Yanks are trading. Just do it quick so the suspense ends!

The Twins are total Playas....lol

Rob L
12-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I know this is off topic from game used bats, etc. But it deals with baseball. I know some of you have to follow baseball, yankee fans, twins fans, etc. What do you guys think about the red sox's getting Santana. Do you think its a fair offer, here i'll ask this if you were the twins GM do you take the yank's offer(Melky,Hughes, two minor leaguers or the red sox's offer of(Lester,Coco, two minor leaguers. I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter. I think the red sox's trade is crap and should not even be thought about because its that bad. Thanks

Don't count the Angels out yet. They could very easily swoop in on this one. They have six starters and four outfielders, so a chance for the Twins to get Matthews with Weaver, E. Santana and/or Joe Saunders is a real possibility. Tomorrow should tell.

Rob L

matt
12-05-2007, 12:37 AM
As a Sox fan, I just hope they don't include Ellsbury. There is a poll up on (on bostondirtdogs.com) the shows 65% of sox fans would rather let the yankees get Santana than include Ellsbury in a trade. Something like 15,000 votes. That's how much most of us do not want to start April with Coco in center field.

I'd be happy to give up Coco, Lester plus 3 lesser prospects. Latest news is that they resume talks after midnight...

Matt

bigtime59
12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Don't count the Angels out yet. They could very easily swoop in on this one. They have six starters and four outfielders, so a chance for the Twins to get Matthews with Weaver, E. Santana and/or Joe Saunders is a real possibility. Tomorrow should tell.

Rob L

IIRC, Santana has a blanket no-trade clause and will only waive it to go to the Yankee$ or Red $ox. I don't know where these Angels rumors are coming from.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Vintagedeputy
12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
As far as Coco/Melky. I'd much rather have Coco than Melky. I'm just not sold on Melk.

Ahuff - I'm not sure how much of Melky and Coco you've seen, but as a Yankee fan, I'd hate to give up Melky. Any team that could acquire him should do so. His value far outweighs Coco Crispy. Melky will be a #1 outfielder for years to come.

Jim

suave1477
12-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Well it looks like the Yankees dropped out of it. So it looks like its between the Red Sox and the Angels now.
Funny how the next possible pitcher for the Yankees to go after would be Dan Haren and Hank Steinbrennner shut that noise down real quick before the rumors could start flying. Said unless he drops drastically what hes asking for were happy with our team they way it is.

I predicted it last year and the year before and I will say it again. The Yankees will make it to the playoffs and thats it.

ahuff
12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Ahuff - I'm not sure how much of Melky and Coco you've seen, but as a Yankee fan, I'd hate to give up Melky. Any team that could acquire him should do so. His value far outweighs Coco Crispy. Melky will be a #1 outfielder for years to come.

Jim

I've been able to see Melky quite a few times (via ESPN). I'm not saying either one is great. I'm just saying Melky is a career .275 hitter with average power and average speed. Obviously those stats are from his short time in the majors. But other than his BA numbers, his minor league stats were not remarkably better. From 2003 he certainly has provided people with enough statistics to get an o.k. feel for the type of player he is and is going to be. The one thing I do like about him, however, is he has a great glove. But in the AL East, you need much more than a good glove. The National League is filled with good gloves, and it hasn't done much good for any of those teams. I don't believe he will be a #1 outfielder, nor is he anyone you build an outfield around. He reminds me alot of Jacque Jones, with just a little less speed. Love the guy, but he certainly can't put a team on his shoulders. Just ask my beloved Cubbies.

Coco certainly isn't a ton better. As a matter of fact, many of their statistics are very similar. But he does have better speed. Not to mention, his glove isn't too bad either. The past two seasons have seen him with a .996 and a .998 fielding percentage. Fifty stolen bases and two errors in two years doesn't seem much like a liability to me.

ahuff
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
IIRC, Santana has a blanket no-trade clause and will only waive it to go to the Yankee$ or Red $ox. I don't know where these Angels rumors are coming from.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

Mark,

Check out this article. I've seen other similar ones on the internet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-twins-santana&prov=ap&type=lgns