PDA

View Full Version : Displaying cracked bats

cjosefy
02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
All,

I'm looking for some advice on how to display my bat collection. I prefer not to get my cracked bats fixed because I actually like the way they look when they have a crack.

Is it better to display them horizontally (like a gun rack) or vertically (like a bat stand)?

Should I leave them in bat tubes, or let them out in the open?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Also, on a slightly related note, does having UV protection help when displaying signed balls? Storing them away in the closet forever isn't an option because I want to be able to admire them.

As a point of reference, the room the items will be in is almost completely dark unless I am actually in the room (a 10' x 8' college basketball championship banner covers the window and really blocks the light).

Thanks!

-Chris

suave1477
02-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Dear member I am very picky in ways to display my items and to try to keep them at there best to last as long as possible. I am not big into displaying a lot becuz time does take its toll on items i prefer to keep things away.

But if you want to really display something - Cracked bats if the are not too badly cracked you can display them in up-right bat stands. if they are cracked bat display them laying down. try if you can to keep them in a uv protected glass enclosed case and put a small very lightly damp cloth on the bottom this will keep the bats from drying out. Unless there is an autograph on the bat the dont put the damp cloth, over time that would ruin the autograph.

As far as balls i dont like to display unless company is coming over and autographed balls are a nice chat topic.
If you want to display them put them in a dry area in a uv glass protected case and keep a cover over them gaurantee proctection. I hope this helps i have been doing it for a long time and my items have lasted years and they look just like they did when i bought them

icollectDCsports
02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I think the vertical or horizontal issue with respect to displaying bats is totally up to your preference. And I don't think it matters whether the bats are cracked or not in making your decision. I don't have my bats displayed yet, but I plan to display them horizontally. That appeals to me more than vertically displayed bats because a key part of the display is the ease of reading the different labels. Problem is I have so many bats I want to display that I've not seen any commercially available display racks that will fit my needs. I assume I'll have to make my own.

Use bat tubes if you want, but I think they detract from the bat. Maybe they can be usefull if you want to protect against the curious hands of kids, but I don't think they do anything more practical than that.

As long as bats are displayed or stored in an environment that is guarded against extremes of high or no humidity, I would not think you have much to worry about with protecting bats.

With respect to the suggestion that bats be wiped with a damp cloth, I have to disagree. Water is the enemy of wood.

ripkengamers
02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I've displayed my bats in enclosed acrylic display cases which hold 6 bats each, are hinged at the top and have a locked key at the bottom.

suave1477
02-08-2006, 10:02 PM
To the member referring to my comment about wiping the bat with a wet cloth. I never said that!!! I said to place a very lightly damp cloth at the bottom of the case just to add a teeny tiny drop of humidity / as total humidity would be the enemy / i disagree with your statement as making sure it is very dry cuz you will end up drying out the bats / my technique is actually a cigar box technique it works perfect for cigars to last ten times longer then they are supposed too it also has worked for my bats THAT ARE NOT AUTOGRAPHED to look as good as possible

icollectDCsports
02-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry, Suave, I misread your first post. I still don't think the damp cloth idea is a good one, however. If you are really concerned about the moisture content of the air surrounding the bats, I'd get a hygrometer to measure the humidity in the room and use a humidifier or dehumidifier to adjust make any necessary adjustments.

suave1477
02-08-2006, 11:23 PM
I do agree with your last comment those would actually be better ways to measure the humidity content, my way is just a poor mans way, like i said it is an old technique used for cigars