PDA

View Full Version : Vintage jersey...Is this real? How old is this?

staindsox
12-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out with this. There is a jersey on eBay claiming to be a 1960 St. Paul Saints jersey. I've done some research and found photos from the 1960 season. This guy's jersey has the wrong font. I also found photos from just about every Saints season going back to the mid 1940s. This jersey font doesn't match up to anything the Saints used. I don't know much about wash tags, etc. It doesn't look like it to me, but could this thing be much older than 1960? Thanks for your help!

Chris

both-teams-played-hard
12-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Rawlings tags: 1964-72
Because of the material used, I would guess before 1970. Different Rawlings tags in 1960 (white with red and black letters). Don't know what "Saints" team this is.

both-teams-played-hard
12-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Might help...
http://www.geocities.com/nicknamer.geo/Saints.html

staindsox
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. The seller still maintains that it is a St. Paul Saints jersey and says he has a style match from a program. I asked for a scan of the photo and am still waiting for his response. I've checked back to the 1940s and from what I have seen, they had used the same font since 1948 (1947 was block font). He also said the jersey in question is a road jersey, but this is false because every photo I checked shows them using "St. Paul" on their road jerseys, not "Saints."

It is also interesting to note the Saints played through 1960 because the Twins moved here for the 1961 season. If this Rawlings labeling is 1961 or newer, it could not be a St. Paul Saints jersey.

I'll post his photo...if I ever receive it. Thanks again.

Chris

both-teams-played-hard
12-09-2007, 06:28 PM
If this Rawlings labeling is 1961 or newer, it could not be a St. Paul Saints jersey.

Without a doubt, carve it in stone...this Rawlings tag is newer than 1961.

designedexclusively
01-11-2008, 06:14 PM
This was my auction. Staindsox had contacted me about the photo sets that he had acquired through a very helpful website.

I did not sell the jersey to the high bidder because I do not know the authenticity of the jersey or it's origins. I have spent some time on trying to find out what minor, college or high school team wore this and I have not come to any conclusions.

The original graphic I had of the saints font seen on the shirt, was close to a match after taking a closer look, but not definitive after seeing and examining the work staindsox has done on the jersey.

The jersey was originally purchased around the wisconsin area, so I believe it might be from around their.

Again sorry for any original confusion for the jersey listing, item was not falsely sold and is still in my possesion until I get a definitive answer or what this is.

Designed Exclusively