PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Authentics/MEARS - '89 Palmer

kingjammy24
02-09-2006, 12:36 AM
Lot 31: Dean Palmer c.1989 Game Used Rookie Jersey
"Description:
Road gray Rawlings size 44 Texas Rangers jersey worn by slugging third baseman Dean Palmer circa 1989 around the time of his rookie season. Although there is no year ID present, the jersey does match the style worn by Texas in 1989. The jersey is tagged on outer tail with manufacturer's wash tag carrying size ID. Underneath is a "16 1" jersey number and set number strip tag. The manufacturer's logo on the right sleeve has been stitched over with a piece of fabric possibly for promotional reasons."

"Although there is no year ID present, the jersey does match the style worn by Texas in 1989" ?! Yes and it also matches the style worn by Texas in 1991 and 1992, during which Palmer played for the Rangers as well. I guess 1989 just sounded better given that it was Palmer's rookie year? In fact, the Rawlings tag on the auction jersey is circa 1990 & 1991.
Additionally, it's my opinion that that specific style of Rangers strip tagging (uniform number and set) is typically from 1991 but unlikely to be from 1989.

I'd love to know what about this jersey points to 1989 specifically given that the style was also worn in 1991 and 1992. MEARS?

Rudy.

Eric
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Have you asked Vintage or Mears about this?
Eric

trsent
02-09-2006, 12:27 PM
Rudy, forgive me, but since they used a general set of years (circa gives a broad range), what difference will this make in the final price of the jersey? So, it may sell for $300.00 instead of $262.00?

Or did Dean Palmer become desirable in the past few years?

kingjammy24
02-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Eric: I tried to. That is, I don't see a point in asking Vintage because they'll just say it was authenticated by MEARS. All Vintage does is sell the item, collect payments, etc. MEARS is responsible for the authentication.
At any rate, I went on to the MEARS website and tried to find an email address for them. I could not. Perhaps I'm blind? If anyone knows how I can email MEARS, please tell me. I honestly tried and couldn't find a way. Thanks.

Joel: Palmer's obviously a common player. However, I do believe that even as a common player, the jersey is going to command more as a rookie jersey than say a 3rd year jersey. Secondly, isn't it somewhat irrelevant what it sells for? I mean..if I pay $10 for a "1989 rookie jersey", shouldn't it be a 1989 rookie jersey? Regardless of the amount of money transacted,
the buyer should get what they're led to believe they're purchasing.

Rudy.

Eric
02-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Eric: I tried to. That is, I don't see a point in asking Vintage because they'll just say it was authenticated by MEARS. All Vintage does is sell the item, collect payments, etc. MEARS is responsible for the authentication.
At any rate, I went on to the MEARS website and tried to find an email address for them. I could not. Perhaps I'm blind? If anyone knows how I can email MEARS, please tell me. I honestly tried and couldn't find a way. Thanks.

Rudy-
If you cannot find an address for mears, why don't you just contact vintage and see if 1) they have an address for mears 2) could pass your question along or 3) know the answers to your questions.

It's the responsible thing to do
Eric

kingjammy24
02-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Eric: Done. I've informed them of the specific questions I have with Palmer as well as the issues with the '93 McGwire. Additionally I asked them to pass these comments along to MEARS and/or please provide me with a way to contact MEARS directly. I'll let people know what transpires.

Rudy.

trsent
02-09-2006, 06:56 PM
At any rate, I went on to the MEARS website and tried to find an email address for them. I could not. Perhaps I'm blind? If anyone knows how I can email MEARS, please tell me. I honestly tried and couldn't find a way.

http://www.mearsonline.com/contact/

They don't have an email address, but you can submit your question to them right through their web site. In fact, the contact button is found on the upper right corner of each page on the MEARS web site.