PDA

View Full Version : Dan Marino 1983-84 Jersey-Vintage Authentics

orangebowl
02-09-2006, 01:48 AM
I have a question regarding the NOB on the Dan Marino circa 1983-84 jersey in the latest Vintage Authentics auction.

There is no nameplate, rather the name is screened directly onto the back of the jersey. Was this common for a 1983 Dolphins jersey?

From the older style Russell tag on the jersey (which I believe went out of use sometime during 1983), I'd guess it's a 1983 jersey. The MEARS letter states provenance from "Pat Catello via Dan Dowe." Both of these guys are former Dolphins equipment managers, so the provenance appears strong.

Nevertheless, I'm uncertain if the Dolphins ever screened names directly onto the back without a nameplate. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Steven

kingjammy24
02-09-2006, 02:40 AM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9416/marino1no.jpg

Rudy.

Steve Jensen
02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
It is somewhat common knowledge to most Miami Dolphins/Dan Marino collectors that the Dolphins screened names directly on to the jerseys in 1982,83 and parts of 1984. if you go to our website, we have samples of other game used jerseys obtained directly from the dolphins during the 1982-84 era. click on all the authentication links for the letters of authenticity and photos of supporting common jerseys.

Thanks,
Steve

www.vintageauthentics.com (http://www.vintageauthentics.com)

DR.P
02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi,

I can tell you from my past experience as a fairly experienced collector,
primarilly football that I have seen plenty of LOA and descriptions with history and names attached but I tend to doubt any of those experts have actually given written correspondence. I happen to have interrest in the Dolphins as well and have always collected Marino items and there is only one name that holds any credibility to me as far as authentication and that is Pat Catello. I have tried to contact him, to no avail, and have spoken with the Dolphins and his various auction authentication offices and attended the Hall of Fame exhibit at the Dolphins facility where pieces of his actual collection are displayed and have been informed that negotiations are taking place to house his entire collection in the Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame. I have also heard various rumors that his collection may be auctioned in the future but all the auction houses claim to have the rights but not one of them has publically commented on this, so again, I would be leary to base any credibility on any of the name dropping ALL these auction houses do!
As far as the pieces in question, I have absolutely no expertise nor knowledge of the authenticity of any of these items what so ever, and am not giving any authentication either way, just my two sense on the so called experts out there, including many of the registered experts on this site who seem to be the ones who offer many of the non-authentic pieces in the online auctions that have polluted this hobby. It would be nice if we could actually have real experts on these fields at our disposal, instead of the dealers who have made this process a joke!

Marc Bernstein

Steve Jensen
02-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Marc,

The Marino jersey in question was sourced through Pat and his LOA is posted on our site as well. Here is the LOA:

http://pics1.edeal.com/images/p2/wl/vintageauth/docs/marino83-84gujersaddlinfo.pdf

Best,
Steve

RobSteinmetz
02-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I can't contribute to the discussion about this specific jersey, but I think we should give credit where credit is due in terms of Steve Jensen taking the time to read and post in this forum. To my knowledge, he is the only auction house to date who has taken the time to directly address issues raised in this forum. While others with inflated egos sit back and blame the negative atmosphere for their lack of participation, Steve has taken the bull by the horns to address the issues raised.

Thank you Steve!

trsent
02-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I can't contribute to the discussion about this specific jersey, but I think we should give credit where credit is due in terms of Steve Jensen taking the time to read and post in this forum. To my knowledge, he is the only auction house to date who has taken the time to directly address issues raised in this forum. While others with inflated egos sit back and blame the negative atmosphere for their lack of participation, Steve has taken the bull by the horns to address the issues raised.

Thank you Steve!

In other words, Rob is saying, "Be nice to Steve and maybe he'll continue to discuss issues with us here on this great forum."

In my words, work with Steve and maybe he'll continue to contribute to discussions on this network. Too many times people want to hang auction houses and authenticators who post replies to questions, and then those people suddenly disappear from the forum.

I wonder why.

DR.P
02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I have just checked some of my jerseys and photos from others and have found a Jimmy Cefalo, Ed Newman, John Giesler, and David Woodley jersey all with no nameplates, so the nameplate issue on Dolphins jerseys is certainly satisfied, but again authenticating any of these items was certainly not my intentions anyway.
I also see the reply by Vintage as to their LOA's and want to make sure that all readers understand and especially Vintage that I was in no way implying there auction house in my comments but the entire industry, and the so called experts which engulf this hobby!

Marc

orangebowl
02-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Thank you to everyone who has responded.

I've taken another look at the auction site and can view the links and see the photo documentation. The links available today weren't there last evening, but the additional information and the insight from this board have helped.

So, I'll replace the "question mark" icon with which I started this thread with a "thumbs up"!

Steven

Steve Jensen
02-09-2006, 05:25 PM
i'm more than happy to answer any questions, we're not going to hide or dodge anyone, that would only hurt ourselves and the hobby. if some questions an item, they aren't going to bid on it until the have a satisfactory answer so it beehoves us to respond. i may not always know the answer right away but i will definitely find it. it is tough to tune into all these discussions (especially while the auction is live) but i'm very easy to get a hold of via e-mail or phone if anyone would like to contact me direct and post the results of our interaction. my direct phone is: 1-866-304-3090 and my direct e-mail address is: steve@vintageauthentics.com

Best Regards,
Steve

ChrisCavalier
02-10-2006, 02:16 PM
i'm more than happy to answer any questions, we're not going to hide or dodge anyone, that would only hurt ourselves and the hobby. if some questions an item, they aren't going to bid on it until the have a satisfactory answer so it beehoves us to respond. i may not always know the answer right away but i will definitely find it. it is tough to tune into all these discussions (especially while the auction is live) but i'm very easy to get a hold of via e-mail or phone if anyone would like to contact me direct and post the results of our interaction. my direct phone is: 1-866-304-3090 and my direct e-mail address is: steve@vintageauthentics.com

Best Regards,
Steve
Hello Steve-

For the benefit of the members on the forum, would you be kind enough to please elaborate here on the items referred to in the post below. I know you have asked people to contact you personally on your quote above, but I think it might be better if you could provide an update directly. That will prevent you from getting multiple calls and allowing for error in someone else's interpretation of your explanation.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/426247/message/1139535871/Vintage+Authentic%27s+Auction+Lots

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Steve Jensen
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Chris- I'll try to check in once a day to see what is being discussed but it would help greatly if you would e-mail direct and tell me what issues need to be attended to because the auction is live and the phones are ringing! i'm working with mears and rudy on the mcgwire and dean palmer jerseys as well as mears on the marino. those are the 3 that dave is referring to. i'm not looking for reimbursement, just to work together to get it right. the mcgwire has been changed to 1996 and the current bidder will be notified of the change.

Best,
Steve

ChrisCavalier
02-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Chris- I'll try to check in once a day to see what is being discussed but it would help greatly if you would e-mail direct and tell me what issues need to be attended to because the auction is live and the phones are ringing! i'm working with mears and rudy on the mcgwire and dean palmer jerseys as well as mears on the marino. those are the 3 that dave is referring to. i'm not looking for reimbursement, just to work together to get it right. the mcgwire has been changed to 1996 and the current bidder will be notified of the change.

Best,
Steve
Hello Steve-

Thank you so much for trying to help the forum members better understand the items in your auction. We will try to be sensitive to your timing constraints as noted above. That being said, we are truly grateful that you are taking the time to address the questions forum members are asking.

Sincerely,
Chris