PDA

View Full Version : Raymond Clayborn Patriots GU Jersey - Ebay

beantown
12-10-2007, 07:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270194026477&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I've been in contact with the seller of this jersey and they inform me that the shoulders are "single ply"....I always assumed that game used jersey's from this era were "two ply" and that "single ply" was more indicative of a store bought authentic jersey....am I wrong in this assessment?

cohibasmoker
12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270194026477&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I've been in contact with the seller of this jersey and they inform me that the shoulders are "single ply"....I always assumed that game used jersey's from this era were "two ply" and that "single ply" was more indicative of a store bought authentic jersey....am I wrong in this assessment?

Beantown: I owned a couple of Sand-knit gamers from the same period and my jerseys had "single ply" shoulders. On the eBay jersey, I also noticed the rounded neck and ribbed sleeve ends. These two characteristics WERE NOT found retail jerseys from the same period.

So, the question is, the jersey the "real deal"? It looks good to me but I am NOT an expect.

Jim

G1X
12-11-2007, 09:50 AM
beantown,

This is a great question as it is one of the most misunderstood facets of football jersey collecting. When mesh jerseys came into prominence in the early 1970s, Sand Knit manufactured most of its NFL and WFL jerseys with only one-layer of mesh ("single-ply") in both the body and shoulder area. Other manufacturers such as Russell employed a "double-ply" in the shoulder area while using a single layer in the body.

The "single-ply" shoulders can be found on Sand Knit jerseys into the 1980s. For example, the Detroit Lions were still using the "single-ply" shoulders on some 1980s jerseys as witnessed in a bulk buy that I made from the team a few years ago.

To confuse matters further, "single-ply" shoulders can be found on Russell manufactured jerseys used in the 1990s! These are rare, and the ones in my collection were worn strictly by linemen (both offensive and defensive). Perhaps other football collectors can site other examples of manufacturers employing the "single-ply" shoulders.

I can proivde photos of both Sand Knit and Russell jersesy with "single-ply" shoulder if anyone is intereted.

I cannot comment specifically about the Patriot's Clayborn jersey as I have not researched this particular jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

G1X
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
To add to Jim's observations, a majority of the "single-ply" Sand Knit gamers from that era will have the round neck, but some will also have the "V" neck style that is commonly seen on Russell jerseys. I can provide photos of both Sand Knit styles if anyone is interested.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

nyjetsfan14
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Great information Mark, thanks for the knowledge!