PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Dirt Coin (Shea Stadium)

latenighttvrocks
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
I hope some of you experts could help me out, please. I purchased a Highland Mint “Shea Stadium” infield dirt coin from MLB.com. The MLB hologram number is BB087517. When I check out the product on the MLB Authentication page, it lists the “Shea Stadium Infield Dirt” as a Session Date of 9/20/2007. How is this possible when the Mets played an away game on that very date? If it was in fact taken from the Shea Stadium infield, why would the session date be on a date the Mets didn’t play at Shea Stadium? Please get back to me and let me know. Thank you very much for your help.

Jags Fan Dan
12-11-2007, 11:41 AM
My guess is that they might have felt that the dirt had been "used" previously in prior games, but it was best to collect it on a date when there was not a game?

suave1477
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Well I dont know for a fact but im gonna take a shot in the dark, so this is all just based on logic and opinion.

Most likely they would do it because just for that reason there was no one there. I am sure they didnt want to be grabbing dirt off the field before during or after a game. So why not do it when they are not home???

But in all honesty what is the difference????

Its dirt!!! it was in the stadium!!! and im sure it was there long enough to be in a few games!!!

Jags Fan Dan
12-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Well I dont know for a fact but im gonna take a shot in the dark, so this is all just based on logic and opinion.

Most likely they would do it because just for that reason there was no one there. I am sure they didnt want to be grabbing dirt off the field before during or after a game. So why not do it when they are not home???

But in all honesty what is the difference????

Its dirt!!! it was in the stadium!!! and im sure it was there long enough to be in a few games!!!
But can you photo match the granules to specific games. For example, I would think that dirt collected near home plate would be more valuable than dirt from around third base, as it has likely seen more use. Batters box dirt would be the "A" grade stuff. But even stuff that the catcher squatted on would show more use than that cream puff dirt from around second or third base. That stuff isn't worth much more than, well, dirt.

suave1477
12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
It depends on the where it comes from I personally want dirt from the out field of Yankee stadium there is a slight possiblity Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth or Joe Dimaggio stepped on it. That brings it up value from dirt to possible mud lol lol:D

Vintagedeputy
12-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I think that the date is correct, its the description that is wrong. Wasn't 9/20/07 the day that the Mets took a dirt nap ?

haha..........come back again folks, I'm here all week..