PDA

View Full Version : 1995 BP Wash Tag Letter From Majestic

Rob L
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey all,

Just got a 1995 Spring Training Arod jersey (signed) that has more LOAs than you can shake a stick at (MEARS A10, Arod LOA, SCD Authentic, Mike Gutierrez LOA, 2 - PSA/DNA LOAs, JSA LOA). Anyways, an interesting letter from Majestic was with this also, explaining that 6000 jerseys were used for batting practice jerseys at that time. Here's the letter.

Rob L

kingjammy24
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
hello rob

not surprising in the least. i purchased some game-used BP jerseys from a retired common player. here are the codes:

1990 BP jersey - 6600
1991 BP jersey - 6600
1992 BP jersey - 6600
1995 BP jersey - 6000

4 BP jerseys and all of them with supposedly "retail" codes. hence why i don't place much faith in the codes. the funny thing is that somewhere along the line, many collectors starting thinking that the codes were written in stone (maybe they were looking for an easy way to tell legit gamers from fakes and nothing's easier than thinking it can all be reduced to a handy little code). in response, many sellers and scam artists starting playing to this belief. i'd see ads stating "has 0062 code so you know it's a real gamer!" and the infamous 0503B2 0062 fake wash tags were sewn onto jerseys just so collectors could see the precious 0062 code.

rudy.

kingjammy24
12-11-2007, 09:53 PM
some reading on the matter:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=2005

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4511

rudy.

Rob L
12-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Hey Rudy,

Thanks for those links. I didn't see those threads but I did read a few others this afternoon. One thing that is interesting is that the Arod jersey is size-tagged as an XL on the collar. I know that some of the size tags on others use the M-L-XL designations but I thought many of those were tagged near the Majestic label on the tail. Sounds like there is no rhyme or reason to any of the tagging, at least for Majestic BP and Spring Training jerseys.

Rob L

kingjammy24
12-11-2007, 11:49 PM
"I know that some of the size tags on others use the M-L-XL designations but I thought many of those were tagged near the Majestic label on the tail. Sounds like there is no rhyme or reason to any of the tagging, at least for Majestic BP and Spring Training jerseys."

the size format isn't correlated to the tag placement. i haven't figured out where/when/why some majestic bp's are letter-sized while others are number-sized. i have seen letter-sizing on both collar tags and body tags and number-sizing on both collar tags and body tags.

however, there is a rhyme and reason to the tag placement itself. it's based on the year and the style of the BP. majestic made several different styles of BP tops over the years - v-neck pullover, 2-button pullover, half-zip pullover, button-front, etc - and each style had it's own respective tag placement. half-zip pullovers, for example, were always tagged in the collar only. during the same year, a half-zip would be tagged in the collar while a v-neck pullover could be tagged in the body. it was due to them being different styles. aside from the style, the tag placement also differed according to years. have you seen this?:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8382

the primer doesn't stipulate what tags the shirt should have because, as i said, majestic varied it up according to particular style. the style and year would determine what tags should be present and their location. however, it should help pinpoint years according to the tags a certain shirt does have.

rudy.

Rob L
12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Rudy, nice primer. Here is the tag from this Arod jersey. It fits in the 1993 - 1998 tagging, except the XL tag is underneath the whole Majestic tag. Feel free to use the photo to add to your database if you don't have it.

Thanks.

Rob L