PDA

View Full Version : The Triple-Whammy against collecting newer MLB GU

commando
12-13-2007, 02:42 PM
It seems like the perils associated with collecting newer MLB game used items -- especially jerseys -- are becoming riskier than trading pork bellies. Here's what I consider the "triple-whammy":

1. The high prices -- Ironclad provenance deserves an appropriate price tag. But the politics associated with your newer investments are trickier than ever. Gone are the days where the media makes Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth look like milk drinking, hospital visiting saints. Off-field antics can significantly affect the values of your items, especially when you paid top-dollar for them. This is in addition to whether a player will have a productive career! (Mark Prior and several other pitchers come to mind) We no longer participate in an underground hobby, and higher prices seem to reflect that.

2. The amount of product -- How many 1968 Yanks jerseys have survived? How many 1974 Chargers jerseys are floating around? When they do appear, a little knowledge goes a long way as to determining their authenticity. Pre-1985(ish) jerseys seem to be the good old days, as far as the amount of product out there, as well as being able to reasonably determine their authenticity. But holy cow... How many A's jerseys did Rickey Henderson supposedly wear in 1991?

3. The lack of provenance -- Thank god for photo matches. But what about the endless amount of jerseys that were supposedly worn just a game or two and show little or no game use? What about game-issue jerseys that somehow do show game use? How can you know for sure that the 1995 Joe Carter Blue Jays jersey on eBay was game used, even though the tags seem to look ok? Provenance is of the utmost importance with newer jerseys because there are so many "game issued" and "pro cut" examples in existence. It has taken a while for the teams themselves to understand and catch up with the growth of our hobby, so the recent era of releasing game used jerseys without letters (or having them taken from locker rooms) means lots of "A5" jerseys from this era will be available for years to come.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, and I know that pro teams and specific players began stressing provenance these past few years. With that being said, there appears to be a huge risk buying game used superstar and star jerseys during the twenty year period between the mid-80s and mid 00s. The scandals facing MLB today and junk items diluting the market are just bonuses when it comes to the devaluation of your item.

kingjammy24
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
"How can you know for sure that the 1995 Joe Carter Blue Jays jersey on eBay was game used, even though the tags seem to look ok?"

was/is there really a '95 joe carter on ebay or was that just an example?

rudy.

genius
12-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I just have never "got" the modern-era GU jersey craze or the prices. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell what's real and what's not and don't have the time to do the research needed to make sure you're not being ripped off. I know others enjoy modern gamers and that's great for them. But for me I like knowing that there aren't tons of replicas floating around that pretty much look the exact same as the real deal. I like to keep it pre-mid 80s for sure and particularly love the old durenes, tear-aways, and flannels. Just my opinion though!

uwmrules09
12-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Here is my take on the situation. I collect modern era jerseys but only if I can trust where they are coming from.

Prices are higher today because there is a market for memorabilia as opposed to earlier years. I think that really drives up prices. People want to get their players jersey and will pay to get what they want. You can find bargains if you look around. Team sales, tent sale, etc are a great way to get game used items for cheaper than normal too. I agree some companies charge excessive amounts for memorabilia but I say let it sit there till they have to bring down the price, otherwise let someone else buy it if they want to pay that much and hope for another to hit the market later. Also there are ways to get provenance with your memorabilia. The best way is to buy direct from an exclusive dealer or direct from the team who issued the jersey. Lately MLB items from teams have been given holograms and authenticated through the mlb database. I know my Brewers memorabilia all has it. Another way to get the provenance it to write to the equipment managers and get maybe a statement from them or even player inscriptions go a long way depending upon the player in question. As far as exemplars you are correct that modern era jerseys are more likely to be faked due to alterations of commons and people being able to find tagging for the style era. A way around this is to thoroughly look over items and if you feel uncomfortable, let it go. Check sources, do research about the item in question, bigger names are more likely to be forged so education is key.

commando
12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
You guys are absolutely right... Once again, I think there is about a 15 to 20 year period where provenance is light or non-existent for many jerseys (yes, even legit ones), and unfortunately is also a time where the use or authenticity of jerseys is not self-evident on the item itself.

The Joe Carter jersey was a made-up example that is typical of a star in the mid-90s. If anyone has a jersey like this with no provenance, it would behoove you to contact Lou Lampson as soon as possible. :)