PDA

View Full Version : NOT being on the Mitchell list means NOTHING

staindsox
12-14-2007, 08:02 AM
I think it is funny that people are also relieved that their favorite current player is NOT on the list. The list is a joke. Most of these guys are former players. Mitchell could have done this in a long weekend. What, 4 sources? The Mets clubhouse guy, Grimsley, the Fla pharm, and Balco...that's it. The public would have got all those names in time anyway. There are so many current guys that are using, but Giambi is the only active player who talked and all he offered was Balco, which we already knew about. This report is worthless and nothing will be done anyway.

ahuff
12-14-2007, 08:23 AM
First of all, nothing should be done through MLB. At the time of offenses, these items were not deemed illegal through MLB. Personally, guys like Big Mac should have just stepped forward, much like Jose and Giambi did, and just confess. The public tends to be sympathetic towards people that confess. Simply say "I did take Andro. I was photographed with it in my locker. But at the time, these were not illegal substances. Would I do it now? No! I apoligize to all of my fans and the youth that looked up to me."

Second, it is amazing that Mitchell was able to get any information. To be honest, I was surprised that he was even able to get the several sources that did talk. Not to mention, he also obtained paperwork to back up a great deal of the accusations. Who would want a job where you have essentially no power. It seems like a recipe for failure, especially since he wasn't able to subpoena anyone. Based on that, I think he did a fantastic job. I wish the report, since it named an incomplete list of players, would have remained an in house audit. Anyway, people were simply going to complain because that is just what people seem to like doing. It was a no win situation.

I would love to see the feds get involved, however. If that happened, I would think there would be more bite to an investigation. Many of the news outlets had experts which indicated that many of these players became dealers with intent to deliver - through their clubhouse practices. If guys from Balco or the personal trainers can go to jail, then I think the government needs to show that no one is above the law - including HOF caliber athletes.

I like the talk that Mike and Mike had this morning. There are so many sources to blame for the entire Steroid Era - players, certainly the players union, those that didn't speak up, Selig, Owners, labs, etc. Hopefully this will change the scene of professional sports. It is time for blood testing in all sports.

cjclong
12-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Because there has been obvious use of steroids and other substances there is a tendency to believe everyone is guilty. This can be like the witch trials in Salem where if someone accused a person of being a witch they had the impossible burden of proving they weren't. The fact that a person isn't on the list doesn't mean they haven't used banned substances, but it also doesn't mean just because you have played baseball in the last 15 years you must have been a user because other people were.

Vintagedeputy
12-14-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm not so sure that I even care anymore.

Can't we just play ball?