PDA

View Full Version : Help please on a 1976 Stargell Pirates game worn cap

genius
12-17-2007, 04:26 PM
This looks like a 1976 Pirates mustard-gold cap with the bicentennial "pillbox" design and a New Era tag. Has the size written on the dome (7 1/8), and has a large "8" written on the front inside. Is this consistent with how the team identified the hats in the 70s? Any thoughts on whether this could be a game-worn Stargell cap? Thanks!

hblakewolf
12-17-2007, 09:16 PM
This looks like a 1976 Pirates mustard-gold cap with the bicentennial "pillbox" design and a New Era tag. Has the size written on the dome (7 1/8), and has a large "8" written on the front inside. Is this consistent with how the team identified the hats in the 70s? Any thoughts on whether this could be a game-worn Stargell cap? Thanks!

I've had a few of the 1976 game worn gold caps including a Stargell and Parker, and both were identified in the "traditional" manner, i.e, players uniform number written in black marker under the bill. This is the first hat I've seen that's attributed to 1976 that has both the size written in the dome and likewise, uniform number written inside. Likewise, my Stargell was size 7 1/4, not 7 1/8.

The photo of this hat also appears to have another number written inside, possibly 6?

Jacket and hat collector David Gutterson has a game worn Stargell hat that's one of the best I've ever seen. Although it's attributed to 1980, it's also a size 7 1/4 and has the uniform number 8 placed under the bill in black marker. This hat is also void of any size or writing written inside the head area.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

genius
12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Many thanks for the info! There's no 6 in there, just a lot of 7 1/8 (written on the sides as well as the top), plus the large 8. I bought it as a regular old 1976 Pirates cap with no mention of it possibly being game worn and was surprised to see all of these markings inside. Thanks again!