PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Vena admits to what???

thome25.com
12-18-2007, 01:19 AM
Did anybody see the Vena interview where he is cops to using HGH?
He said he used it because of the pressure that was put on him to return to his team (sound familiar)? He denies ever using Steroids as the Mitchell report suggests yet he struggles to answer why he would send several checks to Kirk Radomski. In fact, when Vena was asked why he would send a cashier's check to Kirk Radomski, he replied it may have been a tip for something he did, like pick up his family from the airport.. Let me think about this, I do not have time to pick my family up from the airport but I have time to swing by the local 7-11 to pick up a money order? Perhaps todays ball players keep blank money orders in their travel bags so they can tip people. This is laughable... Who is the next person going to be to "step up" and take responsability for using HGH only to deny using Steroids? Canseco? Bonds? Hulk Hogan?

David
12-18-2007, 02:50 AM
I give some credit to Vina and Petittte for admitting using. However, the problem is if they got it without prescription, meaning they broke both MLB and federal law. No one honestly thinks they are legitimately getting prescription drugs from a clubhouse attendant. If the the drugs are for legitimate purposes (ala injury), you get them from a doctor. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if MLB would allow HGH if doctor prescribed and for legitimate medical purpose. In other words, if Pettitte's injury claims were legitimate, there appears to be no reason he couldn't have obtained them-- through a medical doctor and by checking with MLB.

David
12-18-2007, 03:00 AM
If, as some one will claim, there was nothing wrong with Pettitte's use of HGHG (argument being he had injury, and it was before MLB banned it), then the question would be: Why did Pettitte chose to get it illegally instead of through a Doctor as required? The answer would seem to be either 1) Pettitte felt it's use either would be considered cheating and didn't want others to know, and/or 2) He felt a doctor wouldn't prescribe it to him for his intended needs. Meaning, there wasn't a legitimate medical reason for him to use it and the only way he could use it was illegally.

kingjammy24
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
david,

excellent point. if a world-class athlete like pettitte was indeed simply trying to heal, then why wouldn't he just go to his doctor, get real medical advice, and if his doctor thought it was a good idea, then get a prescription? why would he self-diagnose his ailment and then self-prescribe a treatment? he's not a doctor.

furthermore, if pettitte felt his reasons were entirely noble then why did he attempt to hide his use?

"I've never used any drugs to enhance my performance in baseball. I don't know what else to say except to say it's embarrassing my name would be out there." - statement issued in 2006 after the grimsley report

"..for two days I tried human growth hormone" - statement issued after the mitchell report

funny how those who named in the mitchell report are now copping to it with the disclaimer that they "only did it once!" as if they were able to realize any effects after 1 use. at first, each one of these guys vehemently denied any use. then after the mitchell report, they admitted to it but still tried to weasel out of it by saying they only did it a couple of times. if we couldn't believe them the first time they had a chance to come clean, then why would we believe them now?

brian roberts in 2006: "His accusations are ridiculous. We've had steroid testing, and I've taken all the tests. There is no point in getting into verbal wars. That's really all there is to say."

brian roberts in 2007: "In 2003, when I took one shot of steroids, I immediately realized that was not what I stood for or anything I wanted to continue doing"

yeah..right after he injected, he immediately realized that woops, he didn't like them!

not like it was hard to tell with roberts:

2003 - 460 AB - 5 HR
2004 - 641 AB - 4 HR
2005 - 561 AB - 18 HR
2006 - 563 AB - 10 HR

brady anderson jr.

rudy.

David
12-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Rudy, I find it hard to accept a player's or fan's argument that a drug's use was legitimate when it was obtained and used illegally. Obtaining and using the drug illegally is almost the definition of not legitimate.