PDA

View Full Version : Heyguys!!! I Need Your Opinion On A Yankees Game Used Strawberry Jersey?

suave1477
02-10-2006, 10:28 AM
HEY GUYS I NEED HELP ON THIS ONE? I am being offered a 1996 game used jersey of Darryl Strawberry's the jersey has heavy use and this jersey was worn through the whole 96 season until spring training of 97, it also was Strawberrys jersey for the 96 World Series, and shows where the World Series Patchess were added and taken off so he can use it for Spring training of 97

Please keep in mind this was a regular season jersey and a world series jersey and used for 97 spring training.

It is also Darryls first jersey as a yankee

Also 96 was the first World series to the dynasty.

MY QUESTIONS IS? Can anyone tell me what they would pay for something like that? Or give me an idea of what it might be worth?

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!

s.carter
02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Based on what you're describing I'd probably go in the $3,000 range. Probably wouldn't go much higher. If you really love the guy and he's someone you collect then maybe a bit more. I have a hard time going over $3,000 for a guy of that caliber. Great player in spurts but no Hall of Famer.

kingjammy24
02-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Personally, I would pay somewhere between $20 and $30. The main reason I wouldn't go any higher is because I don't like Strawberry or the Yankees in the least.

As to what it's "worth", I imagine what you're really asking is "what would it sell for on the market". People always say an item is worth this or worth that. An item is only worth the amount of money it can actually sell for.
ASI recently auctioned off a Hassellbeck jersey and in the auction description they said the jersey was worth "well over $4000". Clearly they were wrong because it ended up selling for $1518. If the jersey was worth $4000, it would've sold for $4000. So to your question: what would this Strawberry jersey fetch in the open market. I'd probably wager it would fetch around $1800 at an auction. $3000 jerseys from Strawberrys era are often from Hall of Famers or borderline Hall of Famers. I'm not a professional appraiser though. In order to determine market value, you need some comps gathered from various auction sites.

If you want to acquire the jersey for your own collection though, what does it matter what it's worth? To me, it's worth $20. To s.carter it's worth $3000. To you, it could be worth any amount of money depending on how badly you want it.

Rudy.

suave1477
02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
Hello Guys I appreciate the feedback and if anyone has any input please let me know. KingJammy I understand what your saying, so I worded myself wrong with saying what is it worth. I agree it is really based on how much I want it, but at the same time I would like to pay a reasonable amount for it. I would no drop a million dollars on a Mickey Mantle Autographed Baseball just because I want it real bad. People have there limits and I am just curious to see what others would pay for something like that, and to see for MYSELF if it really is worth it to me?

THANK YOU AGAIN GUYS FOR YOUR HELP!!!