PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Collect What You Collect?

toddhead
12-22-2007, 10:28 PM
I was reading some of the collector ads in SCD and I came across one that was... well, odd to me. This particular collector collected cards of players with names starting with Z... first, last or middle name. I started wondering what made him decide to collect Z players and that got me to thinking what made collectors collect certain items.

Personally, I started collecting 49ers stuff from the 80' and early 90's because it brings back a lot of good memories of times shared with my dad watching games. When I hung my John Taylor jersey I was actually overcome with emotion because it just took me back to when I was a kid.

I know most reasons are pretty simple, but is there something specific you collect and why do you collect that particular thing?

bigtruck260
12-23-2007, 12:06 AM
I have this thing with the mid-90's Cardinals...pre Big Mac or Pujols. The teams were OK, but we had a few guys that were quietly putting up MVP numbers...and really nice guys to boot.

My buddies and I stood in the third base stands at the old Busch for an entire season. About the middle of April 1996, I struck up a conversation with Ray Lankford - at the time, he was peaking, and was a very good, underrated player. Next thing you know, he stops by before nearly every game - over the next two summers, I made nice with Brian Jordan and Ron Gant, and this chunky rookie named Dimitri Young ;) .

As a high school ballplayer, there was nothing better. I think those few guys are the cornerstones of my collection - not that they were the biggest stars, but they gave me some awesome memories. Mac came in the next season and really buried Ray Ray in his shadow - even though Lankford had an outstanding season that would have put him in the MVP running. Jordan had his successful career and D'Meathook is still productive as a National, and Ray ended up with a Cardinals NLCS ring in '04 before calling it a day.

Dave

nomarmauerfan
12-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Don Mattingly was my boyhood hero. I remember watching him on WPIX Channel 11 in NY in 1984 and thinking, "this guy is the best hitter I've ever seeen". He has been my favorite player ever since that day. My grandmother (who got me into this whole hobby) took me to a few games and tried to get me one of his bats, but was unsuccessful. I fell out of the card collecting/autograph collecting in the mid-90's. My son, who is now 7, loves baseball as much as I do. He started getting into autographs after meeting Joe Mauer in August 2006. Well, all of the excitement of seeing him collect autographs has taken me back to my childhood. I started collecting Mattingly stuff again in the late-Summer of this year. I purchased my first Mattingly bat last month and I, too, was overtaken with emotion. It just takes me back to when my grandmother and I would go to baseball card shows. I remember how good I felt when she met Joe Dimaggio and Mickey Mantle because they were her heroes. I hope my son sees that same look on my face when I meet mine.

Mike

kylehess10
12-23-2007, 01:35 AM
I love to collect anything that will make a person go "WOW!" when they see my room. This means something with a perfect photomatch and even things that some would consider "nasty." A few weeks ago, I had some friends come over and they looked at some of my stuff, and when one of them looked in my case and saw my Carlos Guillen locker-room worn shower sandle, he just had the most confused look on his face and asks me "Where the hell did you get this?" I love reactions like that.

geoff
12-23-2007, 04:07 AM
I collect my favorite team the Orioles because they are my hometown team and I love them no matter what.I also collect a few of my favorite players because I love the way they play the greatest game ever played.
The game of Baseball and my Father taught me how to play the game and I grew up loving the game.So why not start collecting Game used of the Game I love.

harpt
12-23-2007, 04:01 PM
I was nine years old when the "hometown" Brewers were in the World Series (1982). Guys like Gorman Thomas and Ben Oglivie seemed like gods to me then.

Looking back now, I realize that Gorman Thomas has a lifetime batting average of .225, and Ben Oglivie has MANY more career stikeouts than walks. Still, those guys remain a major part of my childhood, and they are every bit as huge to me as guys like Ripken, Reggie, or Rose are to kids in other areas of the country.

GO BREWERS!!

thomecollector
12-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I collect Jim Thome stuff. As you can tell by my name. I first started to collect him in the early 90's . Not too much interest in him back then. I cleaned up on his game used, etc. He's a very underrated player. His stuff is still relatively cheap. Considering that the guy is probably a HOF'er. Just joined the 500 HR club. In an era clouded with steroids. It's good to see a stand up guy in baseball. He will always be in my collection.:D

skyking26
12-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I was a kid when I would come home from school and watch the afternoon Cubs games on cable. Kingman and Sutter were the only stars the Cubs had back then. Kingman became larger than life to me and I followed him from team to team thru retirement, and his career before I started watching him. Anything that has to do with him I want it. Game used jersey, have 7, have about 20 bats. I met Dave 15 years ago and spoke with him last Wednesday. I also collect other sluggers like McGwire and Jim Thome. Beyond that, I collect bats from any championship Tigers club...

Bob Koppel

3arod13
12-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I collect Carmelo Anthony because I'm from Syracuse, NY, and he gave us our 1st NCAA Championship (although we should have beaten Indiana in 1987. Damn that Keith Smart).

I collect Alex Rodriguez because of his NATURAL (non-steroid taking) ABILITY!

B1SON
12-24-2007, 07:15 PM
I collect NDSU grads who have gone on to play in the majors. The number of potential jerseys is just right and I spend more time searching then I do buying which why I do what I do! Merry Christmas!

3arod13
12-27-2007, 11:13 AM
I collect Carmelo Anthony because I'm from Syracuse, NY, and he gave us our 1st NCAA Championship (although we should have beaten Indiana in 1987. Damn that Keith Smart).

I collect Alex Rodriguez because of his NATURAL (non-steroid taking) ABILITY!

Another additon to my Carmelo Anthony Collection. 2005-06 SP Game Used Authentic Fabrics Logo 1/1

Yes, it was a nice Christmas gift!

sicollector1954@insightbb.com
12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
I collect my vintage game used bats because in 3 years they are going to help start paying for my daughters college education.

TNTtoys
12-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I collect...

1986 Mets memorabilia (signed balls, game used bats, pennants, etc.) because as a Mets fan, 1986 was "our year."

1987 Mets jerseys for two reasons...
I commonly refer to the Mets "glory years" as 1986-1988, as they won it all in 1986 and won their division in 1988. Both years were pennant years, but there was that one year in the middle that they didn't quite get there. This year, hence, was in between the glory years but comes without the premium that the playoff and World Series years command. Most of the same players & coaches were on the squad as well.
I also like the new styles that were introduced in 1987. The road jerseys and both versions of the BP were redesigned that year, featuring racing stripes from the neck to the ends of the sleeves. "New York" was written in script on the road jersey and road BP for the first & only time. The road jersey in particular became a favorite/classic throwback style amongst fans -- so much that it has been remade several times by current jersey manufacturers (often badly).

-Nick

nycsports
12-27-2007, 12:58 PM
I collect game used baseballs, mainly because I like the history behind the balls, and I like when they can be linked to a certain player, or historic game. For example, I have a Barry Bonds home run ball from his days with the Pirates, along with baseballs hit by Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, and Don Mattingly among others. I also have baseballs that were used in historic games such as the 6th game of the 1996 World Series, the 1999 World Series, and the 1976 All Star Game.

I also enjoy collecting game used college footballs. I started collecting them about 2 years ago and so far have about 10 in my collection. Among my favorites are a USC practice ball signed by Pete Carroll used in 2001 or 2002, a ball used in the 10/9/76 game between Maryland and N.C. that was owned by Coach Claiborne, and a game used Rutgers ball (because I graduated from there).

plt4008usmc
12-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I started to collect minor league jerseys after I won two of players that were living with me for the 2006 potomac nationals season. I mainly collect semi-prospects to prospects or if I know the player personally I will get there jersey.

misteremu
12-31-2007, 09:18 AM
I collect Game Used items from players that attended Eastern Michigan University and then went on to the pro's.

Always looking for items from:

Bob Welch
Bob Owchinko
Glenn Gulliver
Mickey Weston
Chris Hoiles
Bryan Clutterbuck
Pat Sheridan
Terry Collins
Jim Snyder
George Gervin
Fred Cofield
John Martin
Grant Long
Harvey Marlatt
Kennedy Mcintosh
Earle Higgins
Earl Boykins
Derrick Dial
Carl Thomas
Charles Thomas
Charlie Batch
Ron Rice
L.J. Shelton
Lional Dalton
Kevin Walter
Chris Roberson
Barry Stokes
Ron Johnson
John Banaszak
Reggie Garrett
Jim Pietrzak
Ron Fernandes
Chuck Shonta
Al Day
Al Clark
Dave Pureifory
Vashone Adams
Clarence Chapman

Thanks,

Eric

emufan@comcast.net

gatorcollector
12-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm an alumni collector, just like B1SON and misteremu. Obviously, it's the Florida Gators. I was there from 1983 - 1987. I got to see guys like Wilber Marshall, Neal Anderson, Ricky Nattiel, John L. Williams, Lomas Brown, and in my last year, a freshman from Pensacola named Emmitt Smith.

I still go to 3 or 4 games a year and I still bleed orange and blue. My son is 11 and has been going to games with me since he was 3. Someday everything I collect will be his.

SkubeBats
12-31-2007, 11:16 AM
I collect Game used bats from the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers World Series team. I was 10 years old when they were in the World Series, I grew up watching these guys play and I will never forget the way they played the game. These guys were my heroes. I also collect Milwaukee Braves game used bats. I grew up hearing all the stories about the Braves from my Dad and he is the reason I collect their bats. If you have any bats from the Milwaukee Brewers or Braves for sale please let me know.
Thanks,
Jamie
jlschultz180@wi.rr.com

joelsabi
12-31-2007, 01:35 PM
i collect what i collect because i got disenchanted with the cardcollecting hobby. at the time the person i collected, alex rodriguez, who became a hot commodity. this is when parallel and insert cards became the craze and it was really tough to deal with dealers if you collected a hot player. then it became like pulling teeth when graded card surfaced. as a result it was either collect 200-300 cards per year of alex rodriguez and dealing with 50 card dealers at shows every week or collect a few items of alex rodriguez dealing with 2 really nice dealers in Washington state. For me it was a no brainer. I sold all my arod cards.

gingi79
01-01-2008, 10:02 PM
I spent years running away from what I considered an insurmountable obstacle. Graduating from College. I went back in 2004 and in in May I will overcome my fears and do it baby.

My alma mater in SUNY Potsdam and thats why I collect their hockey jerseys.

I collect the Braves because they are my best friends team and after 25 years of being so close with him, we went to find our own futures and rooting for them keeps a part of him with me.

The Canucks were my team and Bure is my boy. I have one of his gamers and it will always be my favorite (unless Barry Meisel of MeiGray sells me his Bure SCF black jersey lol)

Great topic, keep it going

chicagoglen
01-02-2008, 08:55 PM
I collect White Sox items. I collect them because I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago and for us on the South Side there is only ONE team in Chicago. I was born into the White Sox family and will die a White Sox fan. My father would take me and my brothers to Old Comiskey Park to see the games and tell us stories how he used to walk to the park for .10 cent double headers. We are from the "Back of the yards" and my great uncles would tell me stories of drinking with Aparicio, Fox, Rivera, and Pierce at the local taverns.

My main focus was on the 2005 World Series Bat set for the 21 position players but since that is finished I have to find something else to start. I have a small room so it will have to be something small and interesting.

Thanks,

Glen

tym
01-05-2008, 01:58 AM
I have been collecting Mariners stuff since 1979 when I got to bat boy for the San Jose Missions on several occasions, my mother took me and my sister to games a lot during those days, and being a baseball/Missions fanatic I won a lot of tickets on the local radio broadcast contests.

The Missions where the first Minor League Affiliate (AAA) for the expansion Mariners, I got to know players like Dave Henderson, Tom Pacirok, Jim Tyrone and Byron McLaughlin quit well. Rene Lachemann and Bob Dieder where coaches back then.

I still have items in my collection from those days; I also gave some of the items I collected to David Henderson to replenish his collection after he had a house fire destroy his personnel from his playing days in the mid-1990’s.

After I got out of the military I worked for several computer companies before joining a software company in Redmond in 1990. One very important event was in 1970 my brother died of Cystic Fibrosis, he was 7, I was 5. All my working life I have donated a % of my income to CFF as it’s a genetic disease and I have lost multiple relatives to it. When I moved to Seattle I found the Mariners have been doing a CFF Golf Tournament since 1986 to raise funds for finding a cure for CFF….man I was so excited, nothing is greater then having two things you are passionate about tied so closely together!

I could go on for ever but needless to say I am a huge M’s fan and really appreciate what they have done for CFF, last year at the golf tournament they helped raise $285,000 for CFF and they have continued to give me and my family great experiences as well as hope that some day we will find a cure!

Cheers all, and happy New year!

A line up card from 1979, notice Dave Henderson autographed next to his name in the #4 slot.
Make a difference...visit www.FriendsOfCFF.com (http://www.FriendsOfCFF.com)!
http://www.friendsofcff.com/images/P1011912.JPG