PDA

View Full Version : Game Use

jwasserman
12-24-2007, 10:45 AM
In absence of tell-tale signs of game use like grass and dirt stains, tears, etc. what should one look for on a baseball jersey?

Neely8
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
You should look for wash wear which causes the tagging to not be so crisp and the lettering and numbering to pucker. There also may be signs of pilling on some jerseys.

kingjammy24
12-24-2007, 03:23 PM
1. wash wear on tagging and numbers
2. loose buttons from buttoning/unbuttoning dozens of times. (not applicable to modern jerseys worn +-3 times total).
3. faded sleeve trim, numbers, front team wordmark (from washing + sun)
4. position specific wear - for catches, pilling under arms/around back from chestpad straps, for shortstops i'd like to see abrasion on front
5. the "feel" of the jersey. over time/use/washing, it'll loose the crisp roughness it had as a new jersey and become noticeably softer to the touch.

rudy.

B1SON
12-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Rudy nailed it. Godd luck looking! ;)

jwasserman
12-24-2007, 07:17 PM
thanks guys- i really appreciate the generosity of this group and your willingness to share your knowledge on the hobby. it's been a great learning lesson for me

B1SON
12-24-2007, 07:24 PM
thanks guys- i really appreciate the generosity of this group and your willingness to share your knowledge on the hobby. it's been a great learning lesson for me

Glad your enjoying yourself! Merry Christmas!