PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of "outing" this helmet auction.....

Vintagedeputy
12-31-2007, 10:44 AM
What do you helmet collectors think of this?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=3260971

both-teams-played-hard
12-31-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't know enough about helmets to comment. However, I would like to "out" this helmet of the West Hollywood Cruises:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8026/westhollywoodcruisesov5.jpg

Vintagedeputy
12-31-2007, 10:51 PM
where are all the helmet collectors?

DrJ
01-01-2008, 12:00 PM
From these pictures I don't see any problems. The horns look to be applied correctly and the RAMS sticker above the facemask is ok in my opinion. But with these pictures you can't see the dates on the facemask, facemask clips, shell, etc. so that's where caution should be noted. The player name should be on blue dynotape inside the helmet (if it was used/issued), but may have fallen off over the years. Hope this helps you make a judgement, and don't worry, I won't bid on it.

fredgarvin
01-01-2008, 12:34 PM
The closest I could find a match is 1993 NFL Rams (gettyimages.com - search 1993 RAMS)...however, the NFL shield should be placed over the SCHUTT size lettering. The placement of the decals over the front bumper appear to be too high for any other years. The Z Leader visor is not consistant with NFL useage. I agree without seeing the rest of the helmet especyally the rear (there could be the placement of a clear/gold) warning label in the middle of the helmet just above the bottom. Without seeing further pictures I would doubt it has seen NFL usage. Hope this helps.

big10champ
01-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Your original posting is clearly in violation of the forum rules. Have you contacted the seller prior to posting, with any of your concerns?? You actually didn't post any concerns or point out any specifics regarding the item you are questioning.

These are the kinds of posts that bring the forum down. There is no insight to help fellow collectors viewing the forum or that maybe interested in item in question.

Brian.

TFig27
01-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Your original posting is clearly in violation of the forum rules. Have you contacted the seller prior to posting, with any of your concerns?? You actually didn't post any concerns or point out any specifics regarding the item you are questioning.

These are the kinds of posts that bring the forum down. There is no insight to help fellow collectors viewing the forum or that maybe interested in item in question.

Brian.

what?

Vintagedeputy
01-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Brian.

Brian - I'm not sure if you are serious or trying to make a joke. You are correct that I didnt post any concerns because quite frankly, I dont have any. I saw this auction and was just wondering if it was a real game used helmet. I have no interest in it, it was just a question I had as to whether it was game used or a store model.

mvandor
01-01-2008, 11:23 PM

Brian.

He was asking for advice Brian, no rules violations, chill.

aeneas01
01-05-2008, 05:16 AM
..however, the NFL shield should be placed over the SCHUTT size lettering. The placement of the decals over the front bumper appear to be too high for any other years. The Z Leader visor is not consistant with NFL useage. I agree without seeing the rest of the helmet especyally the rear (there could be the placement of a clear/gold) warning label in the middle of the helmet just above the bottom. Without seeing further pictures I would doubt it has seen NFL usage. Hope this helps.a few notes...

1. nfl shield decals didn't appear until the 1991 season when they were also added to jerseys and pants. given that the helmet being discussed has a date code of 5/88 (E HH), it should not have an nfl shield decal.

2. z leader visors were used at the nfl level as pictured below.

3. the visible schutt logo and size stamped in white is consistent for the era - in later years this logo was removed due to contract deals with riddell.

4. everything about the helmet strikes me as consistent for the era - except for the horn cuts, size and placement.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/3247679aeneas0115200832358AM.jpg

Vintagedeputy
01-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Very interesting......thank you