PDA

View Full Version : Question about pilling....

PK
12-31-2007, 05:45 PM
How long does it take for pilling to build up on the lower front of a baseball jersey due to rubbing from the pants? A couple games(3-4) or 20?

I know it may vary by player and jersey type, just looking for an idea from fellow members on wear for Majestic jerseys

kingjammy24
01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
it takes a good while for pilling to occur. it's a slow, gradual process.

assuming a modern 100% polyester jersey, in my opinion it's rare to develop pilling on the front/bottom due to rubbing from the pants. i don't think there's enough constant friction in that area to create pilling. when the jersey's tucked in, it's typically "bloused" out to provide for movement. this leeway prevents the constant friction from movement that would cause pilling. the 70s and 80s jerseys were worn tightly. i could see some pilling from the torso rotations from 2nd/3rd basemen and SSs on those jerseys. these days jerseys resemble pyjama tops. it seems every player wears a 54. i just don't see much friction happening. i've got several jerseys that show substantial use and most of them show absolutely no pilling on the front/bottom from pants.

in my opinion, pilling occurs most easily and quickly on catcher's jerseys, around underside of the arms and back where the chestpad straps are. the chestpad straps are adjusted relatively tightly around the jersey. there's constant friction between the jersey and the straps from the catcher tossing the ball back to the pitcher.

i once saw a 1990 bob welch jersey that showed pilling around the pitching arm. welch pitched 238 innings that year. the jersey was beaten to death and looked like it had been used for most of those 238 innings.

i haven't run any scientific tests but i think it'd be next to impossible for pilling to occur on the front/bottom from the rubbing of pants after 3-4 games. personally i don't even think you'd see it after 20. wear a jersey 20 or 30 times, tuck it into your pants, and see if any pilling occurs.

pilling does occur though when individuals take sandpaper to a jersey in an effort to create faux use. often though, that just ends up looking like abrasion rather than genuine pilling.

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
01-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Pilling also occurs from washing, and drying in an automatic dryer.

G1X
01-01-2008, 07:56 PM
I have some Russell baseball jerseys from the early 1990s and Majestic from this decade that show definite "rubbing" in the waist area (especially in the back). To see it best, hold the jersey at an angle or downward slant. It tends to show up best on road grey.

It is one of the first things I look for when observing a baseball jersey in person. It might not always be seen, even on a jersey that shows great wear, but if I can see the "rubbing" or pilling in the waist and it does not appear to be fabricated, it's one more thing to add to the list (of many things) that will make me feel a little more comfortable with a jersey.

I cannot tell you how long it takes for the pilling/rubbing to become noticeable, but as an example, I had a pair of San Francisco road jerseys of Willie McGee and two Giants road jerseys of Darren Lewis from the 1994 season that I obtained directly from the late-Dick Dobbins. One shirt of each player showed great wear, the other showed minimum wear. Both of the well-worn jerseys show the "rubbing" effect.

I have talked to other collectors who seem to be attuned to this as well.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

PK
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all the info!!!

The jersey I have is a STL Cards Brendan Ryan home white. Shows decent pilling all around where the waist band is, mainly in the front around the buttons. But you can see some all the way around the waist and light pilling throughout the jersey. He played 34 home games this year at SS, 2nd and 3rd base. Most likely his only home jersey:cool: