Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Locker Displays Photos??

Now that the holidays are over, as we fall into a lull at some point and the wife gets off my back about family commitments, etc., I want to build a locker display for all the jerseys, gloves and cleats. Can members post photos here with dimensions to assist when I go about my project??

I thought about using oak, but may elect to make it out of melamine board, etc.

Skyking26
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com
  • worldchamps
    • Dec 2005

Re: Locker Displays Photos??

I am in the process of doing the same thing...got a little delayed with all the holidays and bowl games.

I will post when I am done.

If you are familar with Caseworks Locker Display, that is what I am trying to do. It cost $500 +, so I think I can make it for a lot less.

I went to Aaron Brothers (frame shop)....I bought a hugh poster size frame. I am going to build a box and put the frame on hinges.

I want to be able to put a basketball jersey, and shoes and possily a basketball in the display.
    sigpic

Comment

• worldchamps
      • Dec 2005

Also on melamine, you can not paint that unless you are going to sand it down and then put a coat of primer on it. I want a black display so unless you want it white I would not use melamine.
      sigpic

Comment

• skyking26
        • Dec 2005

I'll take a look at the caseworks locker display. I have about 10 or 11 gamer worn jerseys, and doing individual cases on a wall just does not do it anymore - thus the locker concept...
        ROBERT KOPPEL
        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• skyking26
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by worldchamps
          Also on melamine, you can not paint that unless you are going to sand it down and then put a coat of primer on it. I want a black display so unless you want it white I would not use melamine.
          I'm a carpenter. We use melamine often for cabinets. You can do other colors besides white as we have. Melamine was a thought as my first was oak, but that gets pricey quick. Still in the planning stages...
          ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• worldchamps
            • Dec 2005

Well Rob Steinmetz has the best display I have ever sceen.

Rob hope you don't mind me posting this...some day I hope to be able to have this done
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

Awesome. You know, as a carpenter you think you have good ideas - but there is always hindsight. I started my basement many years ago with an 18x25 sports room that I thought would be more than enough to display everything. I did an office. I did a full basement kitchen, bath and large living room. Obviously as a married family guy, I am told one can't take over the whole place with a sports shrine. I have inquired about the usage of the stairwell - nix. And so it goes. What to do, and thus the locker idea...
              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                • Dec 2005

I am going to stay with the locker theme, probably in 4 foot wide sections to make sure they get down my stairwell. Will do either a melamine or laminate cover board of some kind later this month. Plan is to have a bypass glass door with lock (keep the kids out).

I still would like to see your locker displays here??
                ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• frikativ54
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by worldchamps
                  Well Rob Steinmetz has the best display I have ever sceen.

Rob hope you don't mind me posting this...some day I hope to be able to have this done
                  That is really awesome! However, depending on the type of light used, the display might fade any autographs therein?

Just curious - does the oak smell make the collectibles smell of oak permanently? Let me know.
                  Les Zukor
                  bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                  Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                  (617) 682-0408

Comment

• harpt
                    • May 2007

Here is a little locker-type area in my basement. It's a cheapo method, but it looks OK for now.
                    Attached Files
                    Scott Harpt
                    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
                    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Comment

• skyking26
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
                      That is really awesome! However, depending on the type of light used, the display might fade any autographs therein?

Just curious - does the oak smell make the collectibles smell of oak permanently? Let me know.
                      No, no oak smell. I have 3 oak single jersey cases in my room. They are all stained and sealed...

I think for the jersey case a laminent will be easier to clean and not as expensive to make obviously.
                      ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• kylehess10
                        • Feb 2006

Here's a case that I made myself that looks somewhat of a locker and costs about $75 to make. I put directions on my website on how to make it:

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.
                        Attached Files
                        kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
                        http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• harpt
                          • May 2007

I love how you did that one shelf angled. I never noticed that part of your case before. Very cool.
                          Scott Harpt

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by harpt
                            Here is a little locker-type area in my basement. It's a cheapo method, but it looks OK for now.
                            Scott - gotta feeling you and I are about the same age. I am 44 and collect Kingman and was a kid in the 70's and 80's. Living outside Detroit as I still do, Brewers and Tigers were always very similar. Miller Park looks like a great place. Nice collection there. My Tigers collection focuses on the championship years 35/45/68/84 auto's and GU bats. It gets harder all the time with bats. If an obscure player from those teams comes available it always seems to go high...
                            ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• harpt
                              • May 2007

Central Michigan is my graduate school alma mater. I went to old Tiger Stadium whenever the Brewers were in town (and for other games too). What a great place to watch baseball.

I just love that 70's and 80's baseball era too. Guys like Cecil Cooper or Dave Kingman really stand the test of time for me. I'm sure that part of it is just the romanticization of remembering being a kid (I was 9 when the Brewers were in the World Series). I love Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun too, but Yount, Molitor, and the rest of Harvey's Wallbangers will always be baseball to me.
                              Scott Harpt

Comment

Working...