PDA

View Full Version : Question to all Game Used Collectors

3arod13
01-03-2008, 05:07 AM
I have been told that it's is common for many players to write names of friends, familiy members, etc., odd sayings, etc. on their game used equipment. That this is so common, it's just something you overlook and don't consider giving it a second thought.

With that said: Scenario - You are looking to purchase a Game Used Fielding Glove. Looking over the glove, you find a name written on the straps (yes, I'm referring to the Cano glove).

1. Are you not concerned about the name, due to the fact that many players write things on thier equipment, and don't even give it a second thought?

2. Are you concerned about the name, wondering why it's there? And if so, do you question its authenticity of the player using the glove?

3. Are you not even interested in the glove due to the fact another name it written on it, and pass on it?

I'm in a debate over this and am curious about your thoughts as game used collectors.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
01-03-2008, 05:28 AM
Here are pics. For me, I just couldn't get past knowing there was another name written on the straps, and no explanation why or who this person was. I did pay to have the glove authenticated prior to selling it.

In the end, I couldn't sell the glove to someone else without ensuring they were aware the glove was authenticatic, game used by Cano, and with the potential buyer being aware of the name on the straps.

ahuff
01-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I guess, for me, it would simply require more research. I would certainly check out the location of the writting (is it a typical place you would expect to see something written - i.e. under the bill of a cap, back of the shoes, etc.) If it is, what exactly is written? If it is a name, you would think that would be easily traced back to perhaps a family member or tragedy of a close friend. If it turned out to be some untraceable name, that is when I would begin to question the authenticity. That especially is true with any Latin American player. My reasoning is that I have often read that those players will send their extra quipment back home for their friends to use. That is certainly an awesome gesture, but makes authenticating their equipment a nightmare.

3arod13
01-03-2008, 05:39 AM
If it turned out to be some untraceable name, that is when I would begin to question the authenticity. That especially is true with any Latin American player. My reasoning is that I have often read that those players will send their extra quipment back home for their friends to use. That is certainly an awesome gesture, but makes authenticating their equipment a nightmare.

I exhausted all efforts to find out who the name was on the straps. I just couldn't get past not knowing who it was. Or was the glove used by this person after it was stolen from Cano's minor league locker.

In my research, I also was told that those players would send their extra equipment back home for their friends to use. However, this glove was stolen from Cano's locker. Don't know if the name was there prior to or after it was stolen.

Vintagedeputy
01-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Not sure about Cano, but Posada uses his pants like a family tree!

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/jfactory/JPosada07UsedPants_Name.jpg

3arod13
01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Not sure about Cano, but Posada uses his pants like a family tree!

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/jfactory/JPosada07UsedPants_Name.jpg

At least you know what these names represent.

jwasserman
01-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Historic Auctions had a great Gooden glove with his father's name marked on it. Given the importance of Doc's dad to him (he pitched his no hitter with his dad in the hospital and dedicated the game to him), made it a really special item. However, I don't think it's something I'd want in my collection. Seems too personal, you know. That said, I wouldn't mind a Zito hat with some of the crazy stuff he writes under the brim.

The fact that your glove was stolen, markings aside, would be enough to put me off it, no matter how much I wanted it. Just doesn't seem right to have it.

http://www.historicauctions.com/images/listings/1440943C-1111-B1F9-F3ACC1449FE79C9A/DSC_2517.jpg

kylehess10
01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I only have 2 pieces in my collection that have family inscriptions, and I actually like them and would prefer to have them with the names written. To me, they can help insure the authenticity if you can find background information on the player to figure out which names belong to which family members.

Inscription on my Tony Pena Jr. 2006 Braves hat:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/DSC00311.jpg

Inscriptions on my Jorge Sosa 2006 Braves hat:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/DSC00312.jpg

3arod13
01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I guess my question to all is: If you found a game used item of your favorite player, and it had an unidentified name written on it, would you pass on it? Would you question it's authenticity?

3arod13
01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
The fact that your glove was stolen, markings aside, would be enough to put me off it, no matter how much I wanted it. Just doesn't seem right to have it.

Undestand. When I bought it, I was unaware it was stolen. It wasn't until the glove was presented to Cano to sign, was when I first found out it was stolen from his locker. If Cano would have asked for the glove back, I would have done so.

Although not right, many items are obtained this way and sold in the hobby.

suave1477
01-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I am not sure about the glove but I do know Cano does write stuff on his equipment i just recently saw a baseball cap that Cano wore this passed season and he wrote under the brim Mom (diagonally) on one side & Dad ( Diagonally) on the other side

3arod13
01-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I am not sure about the glove but I do know Cano does write stuff on his equipment i just recently saw a baseball cap that Cano wore this passed season and he wrote under the brim Mom (diagonally) on one side & Dad ( Diagonally) on the other side

Good info, thanks!

eGameUsed
01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I was surprised to hear that this gloves was considered stolen. I have seen so many very well used (and abused) gloves come out of the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. A lot of times players send extra gloves down to semi-pro leagues in these countries. These guys write their own names on them for purposes of identity, and then they end up back here being sold as game used by the player.

How does Cano know this was THE glove that was stolen? He probably had more than one of this style and color combo. The name on the glove is indicative of another person using it and owning it. Whether it was a gift or stolen, I don't think this is how Cano would have noted a significant person on the glove.

3arod13
01-03-2008, 12:22 PM
I was surprised to hear that this gloves was considered stolen. I have seen so many very well used (and abused) gloves come out of the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. A lot of times players send extra gloves down to semi-pro leagues in these countries. These guys write their own names on them for purposes of identity, and then they end up back here being sold as game used by the player.

How does Cano know this was THE glove that was stolen? He probably had more than one of this style and color combo. The name on the glove is indicative of another person using it and owning it. Whether it was a gift or stolen, I don't think this is how Cano would have noted a significant person on the glove.

Chris, thanks for you comments. I sent the glove to Steiner for Cano to sign. However, he wouldn't sign it because he said it was stolen from his locker. Is it possible he just stated that, because he didn't want to sign it (putting his name on it), knowing that what you have stated above is the case? Possible. If so, that is truly sad.

hblakewolf
01-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Chris-
Great post. In 1991, I showed Von Hayes his 1986 game used Phillies glove that I obtained during the actual 1986 season. The glove had been used by Von during the 1986 season. When I asked him to autograph it, he became extremely upset, and indicated it was his glove from 1982 with the indians. When I told him it was used by him in 1986, he insisted it was only used in 1982 with the Indians.

To your point, these players are often mistaken and don't know specifics about their actual game used items.

P.S.-After pleading with Von, he autographed it perfectly on the thumb!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

eGameUsed
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Howard,

I agree! These players don't know their equipment as well as they act. I have had a couple of instances with gloves and players. My policy as of late is to just keep them unsigned.

Back to the gloves being used by others issue, I know there were a bunch to hit eBay a while back. I recall a Miguel Tejada glove that was destroyed with use. Is it just me or are there dozens of Miguel Tejada gloves out there. If you asked Miggi which one is his actual game glove, would he know. Shoot, maybe he still has it.

There is one thing for sure; as long as game worn gloves are the hardest item to obtain, players and friends will find a way to get them back to market. I think of all the game used items we collect, gloves are the most frequent items to be claimed as stolen by players.

Thanks,

3arod13
01-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Howard,

I agree! These players don't know their equipment as well as they act. I have had a couple of instances with gloves and players. My policy as of late is to just keep them unsigned.

Back to the gloves being used by others issue, I know there were a bunch to hit eBay a while back. I recall a Miguel Tejada glove that was destroyed with use. Is it just me or are there dozens of Miguel Tejada gloves out there. If you asked Miggi which one is his actual game glove, would he know. Shoot, maybe he still has it.

There is one thing for sure; as long as game worn gloves are the hardest item to obtain, players and friends will find a way to get them back to market. I think of all the game used items we collect, gloves are the most frequent items to be claimed as stolen by players.

Thanks,

Chris, great info. Knowing now what you have stated, if I would have known then, I would have stayed away from the Cano glove. I never knew that occurred and/or is common.

suave1477
01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
HOLD UP HOLD UP BEFORE WE GO PUSHING THE BLAME ON CANO.

I know for a fact Cano's agent plays a big part in what he signs ( I rather not go into details) but I will say there is the possibility that was the reason they gave you 3arod13

Meaning not Steiner but what was told the reason was to Steiner and in turn that is what they told you.

#2 I hear some of you say how would he remember this particular glove and he could be mistaken (As you are all correct that is possible)

But also remember this Cano is not rich, did not come from a family who is rich and doesn't come from a rich company. I am sure esepcially during his minor league years, he didnt have the option to just keep buying new gloves and I am sure he would remember a glove he most likely used for a very long time.

skyking26
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
As long as I could substantiate the writings I think it would add to the item, no question...

joelsabi
01-03-2008, 01:34 PM
I guess my question to all is: If you found a game used item of your favorite player, and it had an unidentified name written on it, would you pass on it? Would you question it's authenticity?

Was kinda surprised you sold this glove on ebay but glad that you disclosed the undentified name which is commendable by you. I don't question the items authenticity. I think the question for me was who was doing all the usage of the glove. Was it Cano or this Leudi Alexander who might have used it in the Dominican. I think its a glove that found its way back to the US after being sent to the Dominican as many players send back baseball equipment to their native counties in the latin americas.

Personally I would pass on it, if it was a unidentified name not in Cano's handwriting.

joelsabi
01-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I only have 2 pieces in my collection that have family inscriptions, and I actually like them and would prefer to have them with the names written. To me, they can help insure the authenticity if you can find background information on the player to figure out which names belong to which family members.

I have seen similar inscriptions by Albert Pujol and would consider such inscription as something interesting and makes the item more desriable.

3arod13
01-03-2008, 02:13 PM

I know for a fact Cano's agent plays a big part in what he signs ( I rather not go into details) but I will say there is the possibility that was the reason they gave you 3arod13

Meaning not Steiner but what was told the reason was to Steiner and in turn that is what they told you.

#2 I hear some of you say how would he remember this particular glove and he could be mistaken (As you are all correct that is possible)

But also remember this Cano is not rich, did not come from a family who is rich and doesn't come from a rich company. I am sure esepcially during his minor league years, he didnt have the option to just keep buying new gloves and I am sure he would remember a glove he most likely used for a very long time.

Suave1477, I'm not blaming Cano for anything. I have no reason not to believe what I was told, isn't true.

I did as much reserach as possible to find out who this person was and why the name was on the glove, but with negative results. I, as a collector, just wasn't comfortable not knowing. It raises too many questions and doubts, so I just couldn't get past that.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
01-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Hey Sauve1477, don't you have to agree that based on some of the comments made in this thread, it is likely and/or a possibility the glove did make its way to the DR, was used by a DR player or friend/familiy member, and then found its way back to the U.S. and was sold, without those details being provided when initially sold?

I've learned so much in this forum and I must say, the Game Used Memorabilia world sure is scary place. However, not all is bad!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

3arod13
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
The main purpose of this thread was curiosity to know how many of you would purchase or pass on an item for you collection that is similiar to the Cano glove.

Not to discuss the Cano glove itself.

Thanks, Tony

3arod13
01-03-2008, 03:19 PM

Inscription on my Tony Pena Jr. 2006 Braves hat:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/DSC00311.jpg

Inscriptions on my Jorge Sosa 2006 Braves hat:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/DSC00312.jpg

Kyle, cool ball caps. Now those I like!