PDA

View Full Version : Rare Find ! ! !

Yankwood
01-03-2008, 01:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MICKEY-MANTLE-H-B-BAT-LOOKS-EARLY-50S-ROOKIE-ERA-RARE_W0QQitemZ260199513066QQihZ016QQcategoryZ60596 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohos ting, From even before they put Hillerich and Bradsby on the label ! ! ! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me reading ebay descriptions. This stuff is priceless....

skyking26
01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I emailed the seller to do some research here so they were not looking foolish and advertising something that the bat is not...

ham1963
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Could this bat be a retail bat???

skyking26
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
The 3 gives it away as retail. I got a quick response back from the seller whom apologized for his lack of knowledge...

Yankwood
01-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Of course. The apology comes after the informayion is given. Before it though, it's a "super rare" bat indicating that the seller has some knowledge of it. Enough to "know" that it's from the early 50's. Just hoping some sucker comes along. Trouble is, they often do.

suave1477
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Well I have to play Devils advocate on this, but in all honesty the Seller never mentioned anything to saying it was a Game Used bat. The closest thing he says it is 100% Authentic which could have many meanings depending on what he is referring too.

bigtruck260
01-03-2008, 03:19 PM
If they were certain it was some sort of true Mantle USED bat, they might have put a few thou. reserve on it.

My guess is that the seller had been told a few things over the duration of ownership, and figured that the creative language would help sell the bat.

From experience, I have seen bats like this listed with a Buy it Now of a few hundred bucks - offering the buyer to "take a chance on such a low price". Someone comes along sweeping the newly listed items and buys it in the first few minutes...thinking they got a great deal.

Seriously, I have much more fun looking through the completed listings - you will notice how many of these listings appear - usually in the autograph categories (;) )...I think without a second opinion like MEARS, an educated bat collector is going to pass on a Mantle (or similar player) unless they are 120% certain they are looking at something legit.

I wonder how many store models are in display cases around the country with a "game used story" behind it?

Dave

Yankwood
01-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Sorry, but I'm not letting this one go just yet. "Rookie era", "REAL DEAL", 100% "authentic". These are all terms used to trick someone. Granted, you would have to be a real beginner to be fooled by this, but I hope it doesn't happen. If not meant to dupe the buyers, 100% authentic what, then? 100% authentic wood? "Full size"? Full size what?

bigtruck260
01-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Sorry, but I'm not letting this one go just yet. "Rookie era", "REAL DEAL", 100% "authentic". These are all terms used to trick someone. Granted, you would have to be a real beginner to be fooled by this, but I hope it doesn't happen. If not meant to dupe the buyers, 100% authentic what, then? 100% authentic wood? "Full size"? Full size what?

No doubt they are implying something with those keywords...but they fall just short of saying he used it. Technically, if that bat is from the early 50's (?) it is a rookie-era bat. Full size as opposed to little league or mini?
Authentic has tons of meanings on eBay.

Sure the description is vague, and irritating - but just another typical memorabilia seller on the Bay (trying to make gold out of crap).

I'll bet even the less educated stay away from this one. If it sells, it will be a person interested in the bat as a store model or a Mantle fan needing something for a display. This is the kind of seller I would like to bait a little and play "dumb" buyer with my questioning. Unfortunately, I have a set of personal standards that I will not stoop below. But it might be fun:rolleyes:

Yankwood
01-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I know I'm probably making too much of this but I think this is the kind of stuff that has given our hobby a bad name. I am probably one of the "more veteran" (another term for older) collectors who post here so I have tried to help others as much as I can. I just think if someone is going to sell something they should have an obligation to know what they're selling or present it as such. If I was to find a plate in my yard, I would not be using terms like "rare" "authentic", "real deal" etc., but instead show it in pictures and describe the markings and what they say. Not offer an interpretation of it. Wow! I tried not to get too worked up about this stuff and I apologize for the rant. It's probably my only peeve on this subject. I have been fooled a few times in my younger days and it's a lousy feeling. I try not to let anyone else fall prey to "creative wording".

JETEFAN
01-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Look guys, the bat is made of wood, it says H&B, it has 2 very old nails, which by the way is how they did it back then, for crying out loud it even has the Mick's name on it and you get the sellers scout's honor!! Yankwood are you absolutly sure this is not a gamer? Your riding this thing pretty good I hope your right!!!:cool:

George

bscott
01-03-2008, 04:01 PM
It is a retail bat.

I have some old H&B youth retail bats somewhere, and above the player's name it says, "Leaguer." I have a couple Brooks Robinson bats very similar to this one, they're about 30" long or so, if I recall correctly.

If you look closely, you can see the letters form the word "Leaguer" above the block-lettered "Mickey Mantle."

My guess is that "Leaguer" was a type of kid's/youth retail bat.

Anyone else know much about these?

-bscott.