PDA

View Full Version : Help educate the newbee - Favre on Ebay

mattmueller
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I am pretty new to the site, but trying to find a Favre game used jersey. From reading the couple of posts below with regard to Lou Samson's LOAs, I get they may not be the most credible. Also, not that the same seller has two different 2002 Favre jersey's listed, same pictures on each listing. Also, from finding a few final sale prices of other auctions, both of these appear to be priced considerably higher than other pieces. All of which tell me to keep looking, but any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, since I have seen it brought up in other items, I have not contacted the seller because for some reason my ebay account (which I have not used since 2003) has been frozen.

Thanks,
Matt

First Jersey Listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-BRETT-FAVRE-GAME-USED-WORN-JERSEY-GREEN-BAY_W0QQitemZ370008759193QQihZ024QQcategoryZ86829Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Second Jersey Listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-BRETT-FAVRE-GAME-USED-WORN-JERSEY-GREEN-BAY_W0QQitemZ370009487324QQihZ024QQcategoryZ86829Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lund6771
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi Matt...

I'll take a stab at this one..there are many concerns over the 2 jerseys advertised...btw, don't let the b.s. about feeling assured that Lampson approved this sway you into buying this jersey.

#1- at this point Favre was selling his stuff with pictures of him holding the jersey after signing it, and comes with a LOA from Brett

#2- Favre was trimming the tail of his jerseys at this point in his career...he experimented with buttons, elastic, etc...

#3- look at the back of the ebay jersey and look at the picture below...in all pics viewed on Getty, the #4 is located more to the right of the nameplate...not one picture matches the offered jerseys on ebay

Good luck!!!!...

Pete

http://cache3.gettyimages.com/xc/51748605.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CECEF7F887EB8AA617 4E9C89C783688B46

scottanservitz
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
For what it is worth, there are a couple threads on this site about Favre game used jerseys. If I were in the market for one I would look for team or Favre provenance to support proof of where it came from. For the price one is going to shell out for a real gamer I would be very careful of where it is purchased from. I would want it to be customed hemmed and would try to find some photo evidence of the use. $3,000 to $5,000 to spend on a maybe or $7,000-$10,000 on a sure bet seems like a no-brainer. Again, you have to be comfortable with it so be very careful when you do buy one. And keep researching and asking questions until you find out what you need to know. Good luck.
Scott

mattmueller
01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I was able to question the seller, but still no response to generic questions.

gwh11
01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
The advice from Pete and Scott is sound; I would go a little further and say that not every Favre jersey that comes with team or Favre provenance is a genuine gamer. Your best bet is to do what you did: Run something you're interested in by forum members. I also agree that you should pass on those currently on eBay.
Guy

sportscentury
01-05-2008, 01:57 PM
As is the case with many superstar jerseys, several "extras" have floated around over the years. Many of these have re-entered the market at one point or another as gamers. Some of these magical gamers have letters from the experts such as you know who. For my money, I would want a Favre jersey from Rick Radtke who has had the exclusive agreement with Favre for several years. If you search on google for Brett Favre Autographs or Rick Radtke Sports you will quickly find where Radtke is located and how to contact him (I have not listed his websites for you as I think this may be against GUU rules, but he should be easy enough to find). I don't think he currently has any of Favre's game used items for sale, but you may be able to reserve a jersey in the case that Radtke is going to acquire Favre's items from this season. Good luck.

fredgarvin
01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
??? If a gamer comes from FAVRE himself with personal provenance from him you would question the authenticity??? Please explain. Thank you.

The advice from Pete and Scott is sound; I would go a little further and say that not every Favre jersey that comes with team or Favre provenance is a genuine gamer. Your best bet is to do what you did: Run something you're interested in by forum members. I also agree that you should pass on those currently on eBay.
Guy

gwh11
01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
I promise to post a few examples for you by the end of the week; I need to access a scanner first.
Guy

sportscentury
01-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Fellow GUU members,

This evening, I received the following email:

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:00:47 -0500
Subject: Brett Favre
To: rgf2@hotmail.com

Rick Radtke does not have an exclusive agreement with Brett Favre.
Sure he gets a lot of autographs from Favre but that is thru Brett's personal pilot.
Please get your facts straight before you post.

I post this so that your decisions about purchasing Favre items may be as informed as possible. I apologize if I gave incorrect information (though I had been told by a very serious Favre collector that Radtke had and has the exclusive agreement). While I am ashamed of myself, I am consoled at the realization that Warrick Dunn took the time to contact me personally.

Rick Radtke is a member of GUU and he has posted several times in the past. Maybe he can provide us with further information. Of course, Mr. Dunn is welcome to elaborate, as well - I'm pleased (and impressed!) to see that he keeps up with GUU. My intention, of course, was only to help (as I have zero connection with Radtke's business). Regardless of the email I received, I still can't think of a more reliable source for Favre items. Radtke has obtained far more than just autograph items, contrary to what is suggested in the email.

gwh11
01-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Here's one example of a Favre jersey that comes with his provenance that isn't a game worn jersey. Here are photos of the auction listing followed by photos of Favre wearing a green jersey in all of the home games in '02. The catalog listing says 2001 but the description is 2002. Take a close look at the location of the Reebok sleeve logos and compare to each of the game photos. In addition, I would argue that the year/size tag font is a little off and that the hem job isn't quite right.

It should be noted that the idea the players aren't always the best source for authenticity is hardly new. Hobby pioneers such as Phil Wood and Dave Mediema have written good articles on this, and have supplied countless examples. I would also say that I don't believe Favre is out to deceive anyone; with all the jerseys that are presented to him perhaps he lacks the time to keep track of all his merchandise...

I'll post another example in a few days.
Guy

mattmueller
01-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all the help on this, it truly appreciated.

Think this is the same jersey as my question referenced? Different seller this time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200192472351&_trksid=p2759.l1259