PDA

View Full Version : Paint Pen/Sharpie?

kellsox
01-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I have read in several threads of autographs being signed in a "paint pen". What exactly is it and where can one find them. Also, I'm curious what people would recommend using if I wanted to get a GU black bat and a dark blue GU batting helmet signed. I had planned on using a metallic silver Sharpie. I'm going to be attending an event next weekend in Boston in which D Pedroia/J Lester will be appearing. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly
kelsport@hotmail.com

skyking26
01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Before Sharpie recently made a regular silver sharpie, auto. seekers used and still do silver and gold paint pens. They have always been fine. I like silver better because I think they show up better. I believe Sharpie only has the regular fine point which would be great on what you describe. Paint pens are only different in that they need to be shaken and tested just before being used and are available in a slightly thinner font if desired. The testing is mandatory because sometimes when the pen is started it will blob out to much. For what you want the regular silver sharpie would be fine...

bradleysupplies
01-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Everyone has somewhat their own opinion on which paint pens are 'best'. I have always had good success with the "DecoColor Liquid Silver" (Fine line) paint pens that can be found at art supply stores, such as Michaels. A few guidlines when using any paint pen:

1) New paint pens can take awhile to get flowing, so make sure the pen is prepped well before use. I always keep a notepad with me and test the pen out just before handing it to the intended signer.

2) Test the pen before you intend to use it to make sure the ink in it is still flowing cleanly

3) DO NOT overshake your pens or fiddle with them too much. As we wait in long autograph lines, people tend to putz with their pens unintentionally in bouts of nervousness or boredom. This can lead to 'explosions' all over you, your item, and the signer.

4) Watch as the person is signing carefully - sometimes the signer will press down the tip hard, causing ink to flow out all over your item - offer to allo them to write a line on your notepad (see #1) just before signing and they will then understand how much pressure to apply.

5) Allow the autograph to dry,m and do not try to touch it under any circumstances. This is especially pertinent with autographs on footballs (using the broad line size).

Good Luck!
Joel

skyking26
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Adendum. One experience I had. Dealers will often have their own supply of silver pens. I remember approaching a guy from the 45 Tigers (Virgil Trucks). Watched him sign in silver for a long time. As I walked up he laid the marker down to eat a chocolate covered cookie. I was concerned about the cookie and remnants getting on a piece I have been working on since '92. When he picked up the marker and started signing - it was GOLD! Yes, I had not noticed the marker was 2 sided and he picked it up and went the other f*cking way on me with it. Makes for a good story now, but always watch what the hell is going on...

kellsox
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Are there any major differences between the silver paint pen and the Silver Sharpie. In playing around with the Sharpie, it seems like it may be a little more low maintenance. Any thoughts??? Pros/cons???
Kelly

skyking26
01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
If you are happy with the font on the sharpie - it is maintenance free...go with it.

stlbats
01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
hey Kelly
the silver paint pen seems to show up a little more "shiny" than the sharpie. If you can get the paint pen to work flawlessly, it does look better than the sharpie. However I am always leary of them messing up. I have bats signed in both. Sanford makes a great paint pen, that I usually find at Walgreens, comes in a pack with a gold one to. Be sure to get the fine point, not the extra fine. Like someone else said, pay attention to the signers habits because if they are not careful, they can smear it, especially left handers.

Thanks
Jason
ripkenstuff

godwulf
01-04-2008, 11:19 PM
The last time I saw a silver Sharpie being used, I didn't think much of the result at all - granted, this was a few years ago, and maybe they've been improved, I don't know. I don't trust them at this point.

The DecoColor opaque paint markers, previously mentioned, are great, and I get mine at Michael's. The fine point variety are what you want, for sure, BUT...when they're brand new, and the signer doesn't press very hard, sometimes you can barely see the line, it's so fine. I will put some wear on my marker, causing the tip to "spread out" a bit, before letting somebody sign with it. Unused, the line is great IF the signer presses down hard enough, but you can't always count on that, and some guys don't take direction all that well, if you know what I mean.

For items requiring a bigger, broader line, Sakura makes a medium point (2.0 mm) paint pen marker, under the name "Pen-touch", which I also get at Michael's. This isn't for every item, but it's nice to have one, just in case. I've only got a silver one, but I'm pretty sure they make gold as well.

For dark-colored bats with white or silver graphics, I'll go with Silver, and Gold, obviously, for bats with gold graphics.