PDA

View Full Version : Question for the NEW GUY

AWA85
01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Hello, I am a long time autograph collector but I am still learning. I just found this website today, and can't believe I've been missing it all this time. I have two questions for some of the vets around.

1. Jack "The Ripper" Clark is coming to town and I plan on getting his signature on a Giants helmet of some sort. I see all the questions going back and forth on Silver Sharpies and Pain pens, but will the Silver Sharpie show up clearly on the black helmet? The paint pens and the mess are kind of having me worried.

2. I am a big Reds fan and I would like to get into the game used stuff, I found a Juan Castro Reds hat on Ebay, listed for $35.00. I know Juan has never been a star player but just curious is this to good to be true, or any other tips? The item number is 8744984363 if anyone can give me an opinion.

Thanks guys, I look forward to checking the board more often!

kylehess10
01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Being that you're a Reds fan, you should probably go to RedsFest. I've never been to it before but I've always heard about all the game used equipment they sell there. It's always best to buy direct from the team; that way you'll have much less worries about authenticity.

nomarmauerfan
01-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the site,
I, personally, like paint pens better than sharpies. BUT, paint pens need to dry (and if you have kids in line with you, you know that time is an issue). Silver paint pens show up awesome on bats and helmets. If you're going to use a silver sharpie, make sure its brand new. Give Clark one, don't let him use the one they supplied, or you'll probably get a less-than-satisfying autograph.
As far as the Castro hat, yeah, that's a good price. The Twins Pro Shops have various non-stars' caps for $15-40.
Good luck. The knowledge here is nuts, so ask away and you'll learn quickly.

Mike

AWA85
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your help. I was not sure if that was a normal price or not for a hat even if it is by a non starter. Are they any stores or certain places outside of REDSFEST that sells Reds game used stuff?

You can tell I am a long time autograph collector, and just starting on the Game Used.

kylehess10
01-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your help. I was not sure if that was a normal price or not for a hat even if it is by a non starter. Are they any stores or certain places outside of REDSFEST that sells Reds game used stuff?

You can tell I am a long time autograph collector, and just starting on the Game Used.

A company called "Ball Park Heroes" buys a lot from the RedsFest and re-sells on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=1&catref=C12&from=R10&satitle=reds&sacat=60595%26catref%3DC6&sadis=200&fpos=30101&sabfmts=1&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=bph32&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1

David
01-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Amongst the best advice I've heard on this board (and have heard it more than once), is it's safest to collect common players over superstars. Forgers are spending their time and money, switching tags and sewing on new letters, to create fake Robin Younts jerseys not jerseys of his teammate Ernest Riles.

AstrosCollector
01-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I would go with the silver paint pen over the silver sharpie. The paint pens are more bold and stand out better. Just make sure you get the ink flow going before having your helmet signed.

AWA85
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Thank you for your help. Still can't understand how I never found this forum in all my years.

Also that is a great point on the common players, and that is what I am looking for ( seems to be a little easier on the wallet also)