PDA

View Full Version : Good Collecting Books

joelsabi
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Can someone lists some good collecting books with information on game used or collecting sport memorabilia

So far my favorite is Collecting Baseball Memorabilia by Dan Zachofsky. Has some great ideas to procure autographs but probably written before game used equipement became popular.

My favorite also is The Barry Balper Collection of Baseball Memorabilia by Sotheby's. Now thats a collection.

Also saw a book on called Smithsonian Baseball that looks like a great coffee table book. Great illustrations.

What are your favorites.

sportscentury
01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
There are several good reference books. A few are:

1) "BATS -- PROFESSIONAL HILLERICH & BRADSBY AND ADIRONDACK 1950-1994" by Malta, Fox, Riddell, and Specht

2) A book on H&B bats by Bushing and Knoll

3) Vince Malta's new book on L.S. bats (available here on GUU)

4) "Crack of the Bat - Louisville Slugger Story" (book on Louisville Slugger bats)

5) "Glove Affairs" (book on game used fielding gloves)

6) Henderson's electronic book/reference guide on game used uniforms

7) Reference guides by Maj. Dave Grob on Reds uniforms

Some of these are hard to locate, others may be attained easily.

Good luck.

grenda12
01-17-2009, 11:53 PM
How do I find Henderson's electronic book/reference guide on game used uniforms?

stkmtimo
01-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Can someone lists some good collecting books with information on game used or collecting sport memorabilia

So far my favorite is Collecting Baseball Memorabilia by Dan Zachofsky. Has some great ideas to procure autographs but probably written before game used equipement became popular.

My favorite also is The Barry Balper Collection of Baseball Memorabilia by Sotheby's. Now thats a collection.

Also saw a book on called Smithsonian Baseball that looks like a great coffee table book. Great illustrations.

What are your favorites.

Can you tell me a bit more about Collecting Baseball Memorabilia by Zachofsky? I've always been interested in it but wanted to see if it was worth the price.

Thanks!

Tim

spartakid
01-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Which of these would you guys say is the best of all the bat books? thanks, Ricardo

Rob L
01-18-2009, 02:14 AM
How do I find Henderson's electronic book/reference guide on game used uniforms?

The website link is on my website under the links page.

ironmanfan
01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
An affordable reference book that should be part of any GU collector's library is "Now Batting Number.....The Mystique, Superstition, and Love of Baseball's Uniform Numbers" by Jack Looney. This book sells at your Barnes/Nobel, Amazon, etc. for no more than $30 and lists the name/number of every Major League player thru 2005.

AWA85
01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
An affordable reference book that should be part of any GU collector's library is "Now Batting Number.....The Mystique, Superstition, and Love of Baseball's Uniform Numbers" by Jack Looney. This book sells at your Barnes/Nobel, Amazon, etc. for no more than $30 and lists the name/number of every Major League player thru 2005.

That is a great book, I picked it up for about $7 total on ebay. Think I have to order another one, I left it within my dogs range while I was gone one day :rolleyes:

grenda12
01-18-2009, 11:40 AM

Ill have to check that book out. I know for a fact that AJ Pierzynski is very superstitious. Look forward to getting that. Thanks!

David
01-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Guide to Sports Photographs (http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Sports-Photographs-David-Cycleback/dp/0615235646/ref%3Dsr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217914543&sr=1-4) (linked to amazon)

This is self serving, as I am the author, but it is the definitive guide to identifying, dating and collecting sports photography from the origins of photography to today, and is used by the major sports auction houses. It is illustrated in black and white, shows numerous interesting sports photos (Ty Cobb to Sonja Henine to Ezzard Charles), and is suitable for the beginner to the subject.

Beyond that, the Sotheby's/Halper catalogs is hard to beat as pure entertainment. Well illustrated catalogs of the highest end baseball memorabilia you will ever see (Cobb and Ruth and Buck Ewing jerseys, ultra-rare baseball cards including T206 Honus Wagner proof stip that belonged to Wagner, signs, autographs, photographs, folk art, Joe Jackson signed photo, etc). Even 10 years afterward, the contents of the catalog will amaze the reader.

grenda12
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
How about collecting books for the White Sox?

karamaxjoe
01-18-2009, 06:05 PM
How about collecting books for the White Sox?

You won't find much specifically related to collecting White Sox stuff.

The reference books I have are:
1. Basball by the Numbers by Mark Stang and Linda Harkness
2. Now Batting, Number... by Jack Looney
3. Baseball Encyclopedia
4. White Sox Encyclopedia
5. Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century by Marc Okkonen
6. The Complete Reference Guide to Louisville Slugger bats by Vince Malta
7. The most important books are old auction catalogs. I think I have at
least a hundred of them.
8. Create your own reference guide to whatever you specifically collect.

kingjammy24
01-18-2009, 06:57 PM
there's also Smithsonian Baseball: Inside the World's Finest Private Collections by Stephen Wong.

the books i find most useful usually aren't about collecting. they're usually just books offering photographical histories of a team/player. if you're interested in collecting white sox game-used items, you'd probably be best served purchasing books about the team that show tons of photos. you'll learn a lot just from looking at lots of photos. if you type "white sox" into amazon's search box, you'll see they have tons of books about the sox. of course, old yearbooks, programs, magazines, etc are good too.

one of the nicer baseball photo references i've seen in a long time is sports illustrated's "the baseball book". it's not team or player or era specific so it covers a lot in only 294 pages but the photos are fantastic.

rudy.

kingjammy24
01-18-2009, 06:58 PM

http://www.mlbstyleguides.com/

rudy.

grenda12
01-19-2009, 12:41 AM
http://www.mlbstyleguides.com/

rudy.

Got it. Thanks!

grenda12
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a couple Louisville Slugger Museum Auction catalogs, if anyone is interested.

kudu
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
To reiterate what Rudy said, I have found that "coffee table" style books can be a great source for photomatching and photo-style matching. I recently picked up "The Pro Football Experience" book at a used book store for $5. Has great 10 x 14 close up photos of jerseys/helmets from NFL teams in the early 1970's.